Bird bird bird--the Bird is the word...

tBBP

Never really thought I'd get back into doing this, but an off day coupled with extreme boredom combined to cause me to go into Brett Favre mode and as such, here we are...yet another Atlanta Falcons concept (edited for truth, now that I see Dub done beat me to the punch :D ). Being that this was created out of boredom, I didn't go anywhere near as deep into thought with this thing here...as such, it is an admittedly hurried set, but it's finished, and so here it is.

Like others, I spent time comparing the previous Falcons logo and the current one. There's something I like about the old stagnant "just there" falcon, and while I can appreciate the sense of motion the current logo conveys, I've also long thought it to be entirely too much to look at all at one time. SO...I set out to simplify that bird and, in doing so, ended up producing a new script mark that's actually an updated version of the previous wordmark. And, since it's not in me to produce an incomplete concept set, I went on ahead and blew out an entire set of uniforms to go along with it.

For starters, I kept the basic profile of the "laser bird", but removed all the extraneous details i.e. the extra red and the outer silver outline. It's been well-known the Falcon logo sorta resembles an "F"; this one does as well, but rather, doesn't necessarily "scream" it like the current logo does. You'll see I also--ehh, you'll see what I did with this. I went back and forth on drafting out a set of unique numbers for this (by now those of you who know me should know I'm good for that), but in the end, opted to "traditionalize" the current Falcons number set and go with those instead. Some of you may be able to see what I mean by that.

Overall, the aim of this admittedly rushed concept set was chiefly to show my simplified/freshened rendition of the identity, as well as fuse elements of the past and present together in one cohesive set. OH--and one other thing: the helmets aren't striped in this set, since the current ones aren't, added to the fact that, in my mind's eye, that would have been a bit much for this otherwise simplistic set. The goal was to create a "contemporary classic" a la the previous Jacksonville Jaguars set pre-oversaturationofblack.

I didn't even bother drafting a style guide set; you'll see what I did with the player models. Oh, and one other thing about that: I DID do one thing quite unexpected...that is, create a special alternate using the number set I wanted to use originally for this concept package but later decided against. It's something that occurs quite often in the hockey world, but something I have yet to see in the NFL. We'll see what's up with that.

And with all that, here's my version of the Atlanta Falcons, in concept form.

ATLfalcons-idp.png

ATLfalcons-pms.png

You know what to do...

~Buc

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1st ha ha...let's see ummm....like the # font...logo is almost as good as mine :D ...I'd take the 'shine' off of the wordmark and just add a white outline between 'Falcons' and the red outline to tie it into the logo more. #3 font on the RB is different...maybe add a stripe or two to the helmets...make the cuff color on the away jersey black?

One of the tricky things about the Falcons is that their color scheme, albeit a striking one, is outshadowed in-state by the Georgia Bulldogs, and on a national scale by the Chicago Bulls and others. Even around the NFL, there are teams that are more associated with red and/or black than the Falcons are: the Raiders did black first and best, and the 49ers and Buccaneers are both known for red jerseys. The Falcons, to me, have occupied that same stratum of Just Sorta There as the Seahawks did (have?) for so many years, where they are the NFL team for a major city because that major city needs an NFL team, and they generally go about their business in a quiet .500ish manner. The Seahawks came up with a new palette while staying generally true to the old one, and came up with a neat package that could be great with small tweaks. Maybe the Falcons need the same color change to really distinguish themselves?

What I really like is the update of the bird. That's the perfect middle ground between an increasingly dated and mediocrity-inspiring original logo, and an update that improved upon the original but went too far. It clarifies the F in the bird without banging you over the head with it. As for the jerseys, they're nice and simple and accommodate Vanishing Stripe Syndrome, but I prefer the red jersey over the black. The NFL landscape has always had teams that look better in black than the Falcons (Raiders, Steelers, Saints), and one that would and should (Ravens). However, wearing red jerseys in the NFC South means they bump up against the Buccaneers in red jerseys with black outlines on the numbers, and we've gone full circle.

Overall, I like it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

script = awesome

The logo actually, while not as good as the primary they have now imo, would have seemed like a good update back in 2003...so good work there.

The uniforms are everything I expect when I open up a Falcons concept though. I would actually stay away from black pants all together and have white only. The jerseys are maybe a bit too plain. Overall though it looks good.

1st ha ha...let's see ummm....like the # font...logo is almost as good as mine :D ...I'd take the 'shine' off of the wordmark and just add a white outline between 'Falcons' and the red outline to tie it into the logo more. #3 font on the RB is different...maybe add a stripe or two to the helmets...make the cuff color on the away jersey black?

I think that's the uniform he said he was going to use a different number font for.

Well Buc, I have to say I like it all for the most part. Part of me doesn't like the primary logo, just can't figure it out. The tail looks a bit thick (if you actually saw a falcon tail from a side view, the tail would appear very flat actually). The uniforms I like too, though the jerseys are a bit plain, almost TOO 90s, and the helmets could really use a stripe or two.

Lovin' the wordmark though.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

The uniforms remind me of the Dawgs right off the bat. But they are still simple and classy and I like them. In the attempt to simplify the mail logo, I think you did just a little too much. I wouldn't mind seeing just a little red on the main body of the bird like you have on the head. Just a touch would do just fine for it. The red helmets look great. Great looking concept all around.

Ehh...I figured the UGA resemblence was pretty much inevitable...but then, being that the Falcons' color usage originally came from UGA, well, yeah, you know... ^_^

You know, the more and more I look at this, the more I begin to like it myself. Initially, I favored black helmets over red, but the red domes add an interesting dynamic not unlike the Buffalo Bills uniforms pre-twoblue + nickel. And the black pants I figured woulda been a nice change of pace.

I flirted with the idea of adding a little bit of red into the "feathers" of the wing in the main logo...but in the end opted to leave them off. Additionally, I wasn't going to add the "shine" detail to the script mark, but it looked rather plain without some distinguishing characteristic. Ehh...being that this pretty much was just a way to cure my boredom, I'm surprised it came out as decent as it did.

(Speaking of which...I did something else with this that I didn't mention outright...something I'm surprised no one's caught yet. But then again, it might also be a little bit difficult to see as well, since it wasn't intended to "jump out at you"...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Are you talking about the colors? The red seems a little more...pinkish. Also, the numbers on the running back template (far right) are different than the one on the style guide. Might want to fix that :)! I like the tweaks you made to the logo; it certainly wouldn't fit their current unis, but it matches yours well. Speaking of uniforms, the ones you've got are wonderfully simple. Really nice looking IMO. Just get that number font shipshape, and you'll be set! Nice work.

scotland_fifasig.png

Are you talking about the colors? The red seems a little more...pinkish. Also, the numbers on the running back template (far right) are different than the one on the style guide. Might want to fix that :)! I like the tweaks you made to the logo; it certainly wouldn't fit their current unis, but it matches yours well. Speaking of uniforms, the ones you've got are wonderfully simple. Really nice looking IMO. Just get that number font shipshape, and you'll be set! Nice work.
I DID do one thing quite unexpected...that is, create a special alternate using the number set I wanted to use originally for this concept package but later decided against. It's something that occurs quite often in the hockey world, but something I have yet to see in the NFL. We'll see what's up with that.

~Buc

Idiot.

Wordmark is very nice and I think that F could work as a standalone secondary...and I actually even see a way you could work out an A with that same styling for a secondary. Great job overall on this.

Idiot.

Woah, calm down there ace, you've never said anything stupid before?

Bucco, I really like this concept. The logo is a nice mix of eras, it doesn't show much motion, like the old logo, but I think it's rendered beautifully and would have the potential to have an iconic status, so I think you played the stationary aspect to your advantage. On Sportscenter they've been showing a lot of old Michael Vick (gag) highlights lately, and I was admiring the simplicity of the Falcons old unis, being largely pants-centered when it came to striping design. I think the tops of your uniform concept are a little too drab for retail sale, but when paired with the pants, it really looks great. I know people will complain about the red helmets but I don't mind them. I would suggest possible gray pants, but then the UGA resemblance is far too strong, so, white pants is probably the best option. Nice concept overall.

Wordmark is very nice and I think that F could work as a standalone secondary...and I actually even see a way you could work out an A with that same styling for a secondary...

Oh please, do tell. :) Interested in seeing what you(r mind's eye) see(s).

And, btw..thanx to all who've C&C'd thus far. Quite surprised this has gotten as much play as it has, considering it went from nothing to something in less than a day. Cool!

^ I may not be thinking of the same thing Cola is, but what if you extended the far left hanging edge of the "F" from the wordmark down to the bottom, making an A. It would look something like the Diamondbacks "db" logo.

I did a quick 2 second mock up of what I mean.

af.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

The updated falcon for sure looks good. The wordmark isn't that great IMO, though. It is too bubbly and inviting for a team that generally tries to look fierce. The uniforms are good, but I would maybe add some subtle piping for the reason that you are combining two eras. The logo reflects that perfectly, but the uniforms are very retro and simple. Other than that, I don't have any complaints, though.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Archived