1991 world series

Sproullie03

Something I have always wondered but never gotten the answer to is why during the 1991 World Series did the Twins have plexiglass above the wall at the metrodome? Was it just to try to make it harder to hit homeruns or was there another reason

You are correct sir.

I don't think it was about home runs as much as ground-ruled doubles. That astroturf created sizeable bounces. I know they removed the plexiglass before dumping the astroturf, though, so I don't know whether they decided that very few balls hit the turf and then the glass or if they removed it due to its ugliness or the impact on fans.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Expos also had plexiglass at Olympic Stadium, I assumed it was to reduce fan interference (or to create the illusion of a hockey arena)

I never thought about fan interference. That could have been it at the Dome. Now they don't sit fans in the first row there. It's good to see measures taken to stop the Jeffrey Mayer plays from being prevalent.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

I love the 1991 World Series. :D

... you weren't even born. <_<

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So just because you weren't around to live something means you can't love something?

I love the Beatles and they broke up 15 years before I was born. I can still enjoy something even if I wasn't around to experience it then and there, can't I?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

So just because you weren't around to live something means you can't love something?

I love the Beatles and they broke up 15 years before I was born. I can still enjoy something even if I wasn't around to experience it then and there, can't I?

Ya what he said. I've seen the 91 WS, just not live.

I was 3 when this happened. I'd rather not remember that series. I'd like to think that the '91 season ended with the Braves owning the Pirates for the first time in the NLCS, the '92 season ending with Sid sliding, the '95 season ending with Bob Costas declaring the Braves The Team of the 90s with 4 years left, the '96 season ending with the anticlimactic 7th game of the NLCS, and then crushing the Mets' dreams in '99 to get the 5th pennant.

5 pennants, 1 WS win, and it didn't come in the "Greatest World Series of All-Time." 'Greatest' my ass, if the Braves didn't win it then :censored: that label. :P

To go back on topic, I figured that was the reason why they had the plexiglass. Honestly the enduring moment of that Series was Kirby Puckett's catch as he bounced off of the glass. Awesome scene.

To go back on topic, I figured that was the reason why they had the plexiglass. Honestly the enduring moment of that Series was Kirby Puckett's catch as he bounced off of the glass. Awesome scene.

Imagine how that catch would be remembered if the glass was no there.

POTD (Shared)

Apples and oranges. A more accurate comparison would be if you said that you loved when the Beatles came to the US in 1964.

Maybe I'm weird, but the '80 World Series means next to nothing to me, because I was only 3, and not old enough to appreciate all the anticipation, excitement, and celebrations. I like watching the replays because it's part of my team's history, but I can't say that I "loved it".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Apples and oranges. A more accurate comparison would be if you said that you loved when the Beatles came to the US in 1964.

Maybe I'm weird, but the '80 World Series means next to nothing to me, because I was only 3, and not old enough to appreciate all the anticipation, excitement, and celebrations. I like watching the replays because it's part of my team's history, but I can't say that I "loved it".

Very well said. Exactly why I said I "love" the 91 WS, rather than "loved" it, because I didn't experience it.

maybe its a sign of my age, but i remember skins beating the bills in the super bowl albeit vaguely. but i still to this day remember seeing 'wide right' the following year with the giants/bills. don't remember much of the game but that moment will stick in my mind.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

maybe its a sign of my age, but i remember skins beating the bills in the super bowl albeit vaguely. but i still to this day remember seeing 'wide right' the following year with the giants/bills. don't remember much of the game but that moment will stick in my mind.

BZZZZT!!!! Wrong answer.

Giants def Bills in XXV, Tampa Stadium, January 1991

Redskins def. Bills XXVI, HHH Metrodome, January 1992

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

BZZZZT!!!! Wrong answer.

yeah your right. for some reason i get those two switched around. still skins/bills is more vague than Giants/Bills. which is still remember better than the skins one.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

BZZZZT!!!! Wrong answer.

yeah your right. for some reason i get those two switched around. still skins/bills is more vague than Giants/Bills. which is still remember better than the skins one.

according to your profile, you're 99 years old, so it's understandable that you're forgetting stuff.

My first SB that I remember watching was Bears vs. Patriots (still remember Pats fans (both of them) attacking the refrigerator with a HHH-style sledge hammer in the parking lot.)

The first SB that I really payed attention to though was Broncos vs. Giants.

BZZZZT!!!! Wrong answer.

according to your profile, you're 99 years old, so it's understandable that you're forgetting stuff.

My first SB that I remember watching was Bears vs. Patriots (still remember Pats fans (both of them) attacking the refrigerator with a HHH-style sledge hammer in the parking lot.)

The first SB that I really payed attention to though was Broncos vs. Giants.

The first one I can recall is the second Bills-Cowboys matchup, while the '95 Braves/Tribe Fall Classic is the earliest I can recall.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived