Scorpions Hockey logo

iDonovan

Well I have been busy doing boring stuff...but am back and have a pile of designs to work on, and hockey season is coming, here is the first. For a mens league they are going to use the old BLue jackets jerseys.

What do you think?

scorp1.jpg

scorp2.jpg

The position of the scorpion combined with the background reminds me of the Batman logo.

4323234.jpg

Maybe lose the shadows (2nd image) and gradient in the background?

funny you should say that, because that was the exact thing that came to mind when i first saw the concept.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Okay first off the illustration is fantastic, but as others have said perhaps there is a little too much fine detail. For example, it's hard to tell if there is an incredibly thin white line round the Scorpion's legs or whether it's a trapping issue where a non rich black is meeting another colour. If it's a white line thickne it up and make it look deliberate. I'd get rid of all the gradients as well, keep the shapes but fill them with solid colours as gradients are pretty much a no-no in sports graphics due to difficulty in reproducing them when logos are embroidered.

I'd also get rid of the "bat wings", I'd look to add something to the type, pep it up a bit, thicken the white line and offset it slightly or add some highlights or shadows to the letters, make them more unique to your design. Even if you dont change the type drastically I'd still lose the "bat wings" as the really add nothing to the design and are another gradient that would be difficult to reproduce.

Cant say whether there being no hockey imagery within the logo is a bad thing or not. I'm not a Hockey fan and the only hockey logos I can think of off the top of my head are the Sharks and the Avalanche, altho both of them do have hockey items in them I couldn't say for sure whether thats the norm or not.

All in all though it's a great piece of work and I like it. look forward to the next stage of the process.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

The position of the scorpion combined with the background reminds me of the Batman logo.

4323234.jpg

funny you should say that, because that was the exact thing that came to mind when i first saw the concept.

What they said.

But, I do really really like the Scorpion itself...very nicely rendered. It looks like it's coming to get you!

I don't have a problem that it doesn't scream "hockey". There are lots of NHL logos that don't do that.

4323234.jpg

Even though the positoning looks like the batman logo, this couldn't be farther from that.

The batman logo is simple and iconic and this is wayyyy to busy. Good concept, just simplify it a tad.

Archived