2009 NFL Preview

NJTank

Hedley is correct. It is the grammar, especially run-on sentences which (content aside) make it very hard to read.

Serious question, Tank. Are you writing as they immediately come to you while at the computer, do you write down a couple of notes before you type, or do you use prewriting before typing each team analysis?

Read the first sentence on the Cowboys, the Rams, and the Redskins aloud multiple times.

In terms of content:

1-Your only names on the Cowboys mentioned were Jerry Jones and a passing though on Tony Romo. No mention of T.O. or Roy Williams (S) leaving and the possibility of three running backs in Barber, Jones, and Choice.

2-No mention of Matt Forte's ability to play three downs or how big of a season is needed by Tommy Harris to avoid being cut next year. His contract has lots of guaranteed money.

3-You predict the 49ers to win the division, but only mention Vernon Davis as a punchline. No mention of Frank Gore or Partick Willis.

4-You expect a franchise-changing (or at least job saving) season from Houston. You name more players not on their roster, two (Vince Young and Reggie Bush) than on (Mario Williams).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hedley is correct. It is the grammar, especially run-on sentences which (content aside) make it very hard to read.

Serious question, Tank. Are you writing as they immediately come to you while at the computer, do you write down a couple of notes before you type, or do you use prewriting before typing each team analysis?

Read the first sentence on the Cowboys, the Rams, and the Redskins aloud multiple times.

In terms of content:

1-Your only names on the Cowboys mentioned were Jerry Jones and a passing though on Tony Romo. No mention of T.O. or Roy Williams (S) leaving and the possibility of three running backs in Barber, Jones, and Choice.

2-No mention of Matt Forte's ability to play three downs or how big of a season is needed by Tommy Harris to avoid being cut next year. His contract has lots of guaranteed money.

3-You predict the 49ers to win the division, but only mention Vernon Davis as a punchline. No mention of Frank Gore or Partick Willis.

4-You expect a franchise-changing (or at least job saving) season from Houston. You name more players not on their roster, two (Vince Young and Reggie Bush) than on (Mario Williams).

Serious question. Why do you hold Tank to higher standards for research than the national media holds itself to?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In terms of content:

Serious question. Why do you hold Tank to higher standards for research than the national media holds itself to?

What did he "preview"? He claims the Raiders are the second best team in the AFC West, but does not even name a player who will assist them to get said record? There is a lot of information at our reach, yet he uses very little to convey his various points. I would like for him to write better as it will improve his site and probably his life because he can communicate more effectively.

I said our because we seen with the "Brave-Bird 08" stories which he posted on the SEC and Tim Tebow at Bleacher Report. Most who replied commented to him on content. I, along with another, gave thoughts on grammar.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=68152&view=&hl=SEC%20preview&fromsearch=1

I give up. You just don't get it. Your persecution complex is so three years ago.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Holy nitpick Batman!

On a lighter note, I have a few things I disagree with on your predictions:

1. The Texans aren't ready for the playoffs yet. Not with Matt Schaub.

2. The Colts will have an off-year, but not to the point of a losing season. Peyton is too good for that to happen.

3. I believe that it's the Bills this year that are headed for a nosedive. There's no way they can get any offense going with that o-line.

4. Watch out for the Bengals. With a solid D and Carson Palmer they could be good enough to compete for a wildcard spot.

5. I like your NFC picks but I have to disagree with the West. I have the Cards and the Seahawks ahead of the 49ers, but it'll be close.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

I just think the Texans have the pieces in place for a break out year, and the Colts are due for a bad season, but we shall see.

Did the Doplphins ever have a bad season with Dan Marino under center? I think thats what Manning gives you, guaranteed competitiveness. (1988 was the only year he did not win over .500 in the games he played.) I think 7-9 might be the worst the Colts manage this year.

(Of course all bets are off if Manning gets hurt.)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Actually they did, 1988 they went 6-10 very bad defense no running game.

And the Colts had a bad 2001.

Hey I like sticking my neck out if I am wrong I am wrong, picking the chalk is boring.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

What is interesting to me is that two of the teams in the running for the number 1 pick overall, in Tank's preview, and in most people's previews I think, the Lions and Bucs, both picked a QB in round 1 of the draft this year. What do they do with the number 1 pick if that happens, with a strong QB class coming through for the 2010 draft? Thats a real big headache for those two teams in the pipeline. (One of the reasons I thought the Lions would have been smarter picking Curry or one of the linemen available with the 1 pick this time out).

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I tweeted this to tank, but might as well put it out there. I don't give a flying :censored: if the Falcons make the playoffs this year. Just get 9 or more wins and I'll be happy. They could go 9-7, miss the playoffs, and it'd be like winning the Super Bowl for me.

As background, Atlanta has never strung together two consecutive winning seasons so it'd be a big deal here in metro Atlanta for them to get that monkey off their backs.

As for NJTank, thanks for passing on the Falcon kool-aid. Plenty of "experts" are guzzling it. I may be wrong but I just don't see how you take a defense that was pretty average, lose 5 starters, and not do all that much to shore it up (they just signed a late Jags cut and said he'll 'compete for a starting job') and then have people expect you to go 11-5 and win the division. Doesn't make sense, especially considering they have a brutal schedule. And please, nobody start up with 'all the South teams play the same other teams' - true, but not in the same order. For example, it won't be winter weather when the Saints go north (9/27 @ BUF) but it likely will be when the Falcons do (12/20 @ NYJ).

Granted the Saints' D has been a perpetual sore spot but it's fair to say they did a lot more in the offseason than Atlanta did to improve on both the coaching side and in terms of personnel.

And with all that said, I disagree that Carolina will be as bad as you predict. They've owned the Saints lately and play Atlanta well too. They'll be in the hunt.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

What is interesting to me is that two of the teams in the running for the number 1 pick overall, in Tank's preview, and in most people's previews I think, the Lions and Bucs, both picked a QB in round 1 of the draft this year. What do they do with the number 1 pick if that happens, with a strong QB class coming through for the 2010 draft? Thats a real big headache for those two teams in the pipeline. (One of the reasons I thought the Lions would have been smarter picking Curry or one of the linemen available with the 1 pick this time out).

Matt Stafford is someone who may have potential, Josh Freeman I am not sure about, if there is a great QB out there for Tampa I think they may be tempted the Lions have so many otehr holes they can always trade down and start building around Stafford.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

8-8 for the bills is being extremely generous. Hell, I hope they don't win 8 games, because it will probably mean another year of Jauron on the sidelines. I'm expecting somewhere in the 5-7 range (again..).

- No downfield passing attack. Trentative Edwards refuses to throw the ball more than 8 yards down the field.

- 2 rookie guards on the line. Just cut our starting LT, now we have Karl Malone's illegitimate son (no, really) starting at the most important position on the line. A complete unknown.

- Keith Ellison at starting 'backer, who would probably be a special-teamer on any other team in the league.

- Oh, and Mount T.O. waiting to erupt at any moment.

Matt Stafford is someone who may have potential, Josh Freeman I am not sure about, if there is a great QB out there for Tampa I think they may be tempted the Lions have so many otehr holes they can always trade down and start building around Stafford.

The problem with trading down is not so many teams want to trade up into the 1 spot (Though perhaps in 2010 they may be more prepared to!) And is a team going ot be happy to trade down and give up a possible future legend? Then again there are plenty of QB busts to suggest even a cohort with as much talent as the 2010 class is not a guarantee of success.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

If Scott Linehan could actually develop talent properly, you might be on to something Tank. Only...he can't.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Would like to ask TFoA, Hedley, and anyone else who'd like to chime in what they think about this sequence in the preseason week 3 game between the Falcons and Chargers. Yeah, I'm tardy with this but 1) forgot about it and 2) when I remembered, I thought it was three 3rd and longs the Chargers converted. Looked it up and it was actually four. Wow. Keep in mind both teams were still playing their starters.

San Diego Chargers at 14:46

1-10-SD 16 (14:46) 29-M.Bennett up the middle to SD 18 for 2 yards (97-T.Lewis).

2-8-SD 18 (14:09) 17-P.Rivers pass incomplete short left to 22-J.Hester [53-M.Peterson].

3-8-SD 18 (14:04) (Shotgun) PENALTY on SD-63-S.Mruczkowski, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SD 18 - No Play.

3-13-SD 13 (14:02) (Shotgun) 17-P.Rivers pass deep middle to 80-M.Floyd to SD 31 for 18 yards (23-C.Houston).

1-10-SD 31 (13:28) 29-M.Bennett left tackle to SD 33 for 2 yards (93-T.Johnson).

2-8-SD 33 (12:42) 17-P.Rivers pass incomplete short left. PENALTY on SD-17-P.Rivers, Intentional Grounding, 10 yards, enforced at SD 33.

3-18-SD 23 (12:40) 17-P.Rivers pass deep left to 83-V.Jackson to ATL 45 for 32 yards (23-C.Houston).

1-10-ATL 45 (12:16) 17-P.Rivers pass short left to 22-J.Hester to ATL 42 for 3 yards (50-C.Lofton).

2-7-ATL 42 (11:24) 17-P.Rivers pass short right to 22-J.Hester pushed ob at ATL 32 for 10 yards (50-C.Lofton). PENALTY on SD-66-J.Clary, Illegal Use of Hands, 10 yards, enforced at ATL 42 - No Play.

2-17-SD 48 (10:55) (Shotgun) 17-P.Rivers pass incomplete short middle to 29-M.Bennett (50-C.Lofton).

3-17-SD 48 (10:50) (Shotgun) 17-P.Rivers pass deep left to 89-C.Chambers ran ob at ATL 34 for 18 yards.

1-10-ATL 34 (10:18) PENALTY on SD-73-M.McNeill, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at ATL 34 - No Play.

1-15-ATL 39 (9:55) 29-M.Bennett right tackle to ATL 38 for 1 yard (53-M.Peterson).

2-14-ATL 38 (9:15) 17-P.Rivers sacked at ATL 48 for -10 yards (20-B.Grimes).

3-24-ATL 48 (8:42) 17-P.Rivers pass short right to 29-M.Bennett for 48 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

:blink:

Granted, one poor drive does not a season make, but all around the country people are predicting 10 to 12 wins and a division title for this team?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Granted, one poor drive does not a season make, but all around the country people are predicting 10 to 12 wins and a division title for this team?

I didn't see much of this game, but how vanilla of a defensive scheme were the Falcons playing that night? If I were a defensive coordinator, I would stick to a base defense, so I don't reveal anything to my opponent in the first week.

I think a more telling sign about the Falcons' defensive problems would be the Ravens' third-stringers driving for a touchdown against the Falcons starters.

Based on the history of Brian Van Gorder's defenses....they'll bend but seldom break. They'll give up some yards, but don't allow many touchdowns.

Archived