I've got an interview Thursday

chuckymack

So anyway, I'm a second-year Graphic Design/Web Design student, and I've somehow managed to land an interview for a Graphic Artist position for a multimillion dollar company. This is my first interview in the field, and I'm nervous as all Hell. If any of you fine gentlemen (and the occasional ladies) have any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sigs are for sissies.

So anyway, I'm a second-year Graphic Design/Web Design student, and I've somehow managed to land an interview for a Graphic Artist position for a multimillion dollar company. This is my first interview in the field, and I'm nervous as all Hell. If any of you fine gentlemen (and the occasional ladies) have any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Visit your school's Career Services Dept. to get pointers today or tomorrow. You can also look on line to get "basic" answers to many questions which employers may ask you in an interview. On interview day, arrive early.

Yes, ARRIVE EARLY. Research the company, so you know something about them. Rehearse responses to questions you think they might ask to avoid the awkward pause or the "um" scenario. Make sure you send out "thank you" cards. Sometimes, small, clever "leave behinds" can be effective, too.

Quality is always better than quantity. Your portfolio is only as good as its worst piece (and bad ones stick out like a sore thumb). Pick 5 to 7 of your strongest samples and position them so your best pieces are at the beginning and the end. Be ready to give an explanation, too, for your creative direction.

Good luck!

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Absolutely agree with all said so far. But most important from a design stand point is the ability to explain the projects and your execution thoroughly, concisely, and articulately. Researching the company is a must, know them inside and out, visit their website frequently. If they have a blog, read it. If you know with whom you'll be interviewing, read up on their bio. Be ready and able to talk about why you want to work for this company and how you would be the best fit for this particular role they are hiring for. Talk about how your career goals fit with this job. Be ready to answer the question asking you if you would be willing to leave school for this job and why.

OD_Signature.jpg

Relax. It's just an interview and the whole world isn't depending on you. Even if you get this job, I'll take a wild guess and say that it won't be your only one. More than likely, you'll go through at least two or three companies, so don't stress over an interview.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived