2009-2010 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Please someone talk me off the ledge after tonight. I know it was a SO loss and we got the loser point but frik it sucks losing to the Maple Leafs.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Icecap: what did I say in the Yankees thread that was critical of the Flames? I think I've always felt they got a raw deal at the end of last season; I just like ripping the Flames in general because they annoy me. I also think I've been pretty consistent in opposing salary caps.

EDIT: Oh, here it is:

The NHL's salary cap is the worst of all, because it's a hard cap AND the contracts are guaranteed. They get you coming and going. "Capology" isn't what sports are supposed to be about. The funny thing about the salary cap is that it was supposed to help small-market (read: Canadian) teams compete, but when it became evident at the end of last year that hard cap+guaranteed money meant the Flames couldn't dress a 20-man roster, that's when small-market (read: Canadian) people realized the system was terrible. Once you're preventing Canada's beloved Calgary Flames from playing REAL CANADIAN MANLY CANADIAN CRASH-BANG CANADIAN HAWKEY, you're dropping the gauntlet.

Yeah, I wasn't criticizing Calgary's moves so much as feeling sorry for them and the fans who got screwed out of a fair fight. Then I made fun of the Flames and your media's boner them, and then as it so happened, the Flames did their stupid "hard-hitting game" and the Hawks hung a 7 on 'em. Haha.

Oh, and I was kidding about the league being out to get the Red Wings.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Icecap: what did I say in the Yankees thread that was critical of the Flames? I think I've always felt they got a raw deal at the end of last season; I just like ripping the Flames in general because they annoy me. I also think I've been pretty consistent in opposing salary caps.

EDIT: Oh, here it is:

The NHL's salary cap is the worst of all, because it's a hard cap AND the contracts are guaranteed. They get you coming and going. "Capology" isn't what sports are supposed to be about. The funny thing about the salary cap is that it was supposed to help small-market (read: Canadian) teams compete, but when it became evident at the end of last year that hard cap+guaranteed money meant the Flames couldn't dress a 20-man roster, that's when small-market (read: Canadian) people realized the system was terrible. Once you're preventing Canada's beloved Calgary Flames from playing REAL CANADIAN MANLY CANADIAN CRASH-BANG CANADIAN HAWKEY, you're dropping the gauntlet.

Yeah, I wasn't criticizing Calgary's moves so much as feeling sorry for them and the fans who got screwed out of a fair fight. Then I made fun of the Flames and your media's boner them, and then as it so happened, the Flames did their stupid "hard-hitting game" and the Hawks hung a 7 on 'em. Haha.

Yeah, looking back you have been very consistent, but this is like the second time I've personally read your thoughts on the subject. Your first post was just hard to figure out. My mistake.

Oh, and I was kidding about the league being out to get the Red Wings.

Yep, I figured as much. I was just saying that given how the NHL "operates" them being out to get a team would, ironically, be in that team's favour.

While the Ducks lost again, 3-2 to the Sharks, and are mired in last in the Western Conference, the Ducks' big line (the RPG line) is on FIRE.

Corey Perry is on a 14-game point streak, adding an assist on the second Ducks goal tonight. Perry has 13 goals, 14 assist for 27 points this season (tied for 5th in the NHL).

Ryan Getzlaf had a 12 game point streak two games ago. Getzlaf has three goals and 23 assists, which are 2nd in the NHL, for 26 points (tied for 9th in the NHL)

Bobby Ryan has 9 goals and 6 assists for 15 points.

At this point, idk why this team is last in the West. A team with this talent and with the top line performing like it is, there should be no possible way to be losing games like they are.

Some nights it's penalty trouble, some it's shoddy defense, others its goaltending. Offense has rarely been the problem.

I think it's painfully obviously most nights that losing Pronger and Beauchemin and replacing them with Nick Boynton and Steve Eminger hurt the team more than they thought. And asking Whitney and Wisniewski to step up into the roles that Pronger and Beauchemin filled hasn't happened. I'm not totally disappointed with Whit and Wiz, I really do like their games, but they can't fill those voids.

The predicted goaltending battle between Giguere and Hiller hasnt played out. Giguere was injured for a stretch. Neither has really outplayed the other when they have been "fighting" for the spot.

And when goals are being scored agaisnt them, it's in bursts. 2 goals in one minute, 2 minutes. 3 goals in 5 or 6 minutes.

They've been getting a lot of bound bounces as well. Pucks bouncing over sticks, hitting posts, pucks sliding past sticks, deflections. None of those should be as big of a problem if the overall level of play was better.

Lack of mental focus is also a problem.

So with mental focus and defense being the problem, Randy Carlyle needs to be fired. As a "defensive coach," he is failing in a lot of aspects. As a coach, he isn't properly preparing this team like he should. He won't be fired soon, however. Especially with 5 games left on the homestand and GM Bob Murray saying that players will be leaving before Carlyle does. He needs to go.

Anyway... /End Ducks rant.

Also, one of the guys in the stick fight after teh Ducks/Lightning game was pro skateboarder Mike V (Mike Vallely). He had a blog on the site and it was promptly removed after the incident. THe stick was for his daughter, and well he acted stupidly.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Please someone talk me off the ledge after tonight. I know it was a SO loss and we got the loser point but frik it sucks losing to the Maple Leafs.

Just fire your coach. Boom, Stanley Cup.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

At this point, idk why this team is last in the West. A team with this talent and with the top line performing like it is, there should be no possible way to be losing games like they are.

Teams need four lines.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Last Saturday night, Ilya Kovalchuk picked up 19 PIM in a duel with Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke. In addition to the 5 minutes for fighting and the 10-minute misconduct penalties, Kovalchuk also got assessed with these two calls: "Instigator" and "Instigator with a visor".

Just what's the deal with that "Instigator with a visor" ruling? How do you do that?

Just got back from the Leafs loss to the Islanders in which our boys in blue outshot the Isles 61-21... kudos to Dwayne Roloson

Roloson continues to prove he's the man.

Oh well, at least they got a point out of it :(

Archived