2009-2010 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Nothing natural about a game. It's all just a series of constructs. If you say it can, then it can.

Exactly. I never bought the whole "the shootout isn't natural" argument. The game's evolving, and for better or worse part of that process is dictated by business. The shootout is one of the NHL's best weapons in trying to grab ratings in the United States. It's part of the NHL game now, just like any other. So again, with draws eliminated, go to straight W-L rankings.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The southleast jokes don't matter? Hahaha, Eric Staal scored 20 of his 40 goals last year against the SouthLeast. It is easily the weakest division in the NHL and has been for years.

And yes, I think the divisional stuff is bs, it should be by points who gets placed where. Right now it's retarded with the divisional leaders getting 2nd and 3rd seed with the overall points leader getting the 1st overall spot and the divisional lead.

Hey, at least that division has produced a couple of Stanley Cup winners this decade. When was the last time a Northeast division team won the Stanley Cup?

Unless you are a Carlolina Hurricanes or Lightning fan, I wouldn't be talking dude. My favorite team just so happens to reside in the Atlantic, you know the team that won last year and was in the finals the year before. Then again, mocking the division that holds the most Stanley Cup victories overall in history is sort of moot point.

If you are a Caps fan and you are relying on their Cup victories more than a few years ago to make your point that the South"Least" isn't a weak division, that is kind of sad. I'm not going to use the Devils dominance in the past 15yrs to prove that the Pens are in a strong division. In the end, you still end up with the team's flaws that you haven't been able to address and now we are all to assume the caps are going to make the right trades, with out trading the young talent to do so, to get better? McPhee has been reluctant to trade youth in the past and so he doesn't pick up decent enough players to go far in the playoffs. Take a lesson from Ray Shero, you have to give to get and when you think the risk is worth it, you get results, sometimes you don't.

As for the shootout, nothing natural about it. It was introduced so the non-NHL markets wouldn't lose interest (sun-belt teams, etc), the NHL has catered to the US market for years now and it hasn't done all that well, the 6 Canadian teams make up close to 50% of the revenue for the NHL, do you know how insane that is? This is a 30 team league, 6 teams make up almost half the revenue and Gary Bettman thinks changing the game to make disinterested American fans like the sport is the way to go? Hell you have a self professed team calling itself Hockey town when really, Minnesota is the US Hockeytown and they have the hockey roots to back that up. This isn't the Original 6 era where Detroit can even boast that title.

I hope Gary lives up to his recent comments that there is no Veto for Buffalo and Toronto for another Toronto area team, the NHL NEEDS 2 more Canadian teams and I would go with Quebec City and possibly Hamilton if Copps can get the renovations done to handle a regular NHL crowd there, then in 10yrs time, Toronto and Winnipeg in the NHL as well but not through expansion, you will have to move one of the struggling US markets like Nashville or Phoenix, or both. People don't quite understand how the cap goes up and down, when there's a team that doesn't pull its weight, you aren't helping with the overall revenue and those weak US markets aren't helping like Nashville, Phoenix, Florida and Tampa - I doubt either of these teams even turn a profit anymore, I know Tampa hasn't since they won the cup and Phoenix hasn't in its entire existence in Arizona. That tells you something that in 10+ years a team doesn't generate revenue and Gary Bettman wants to keep it there? Out of what? Ignorance?

I think my rant lost its way, time to end this post and go hit the gym.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Hell you have a self professed team calling itself Hockey town when really, Minnesota is the US Hockeytown

Yeah, Minnesota, not a town, and the Red Wings are indeed considered a team by other people.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hell you have a self professed team calling itself Hockey town when really, Minnesota is the US Hockeytown

Yeah, Minnesota, not a town, and the Red Wings are indeed considered a team by other people.

So the Minnesota Wild aren't a team? They can't call themselves Hockeytown? You really want to get in detail, St. Paul, Minnesota is hockey town, there? Detroit isn't and hasn't been since the 90's, now you see empty seats even in the playoffs. Let's not pretend like that isn't true shall we.

And yes, Minnesota is the best state for hockey in the US, for its roots and for how much the fans support the team and have been since they got their NHL team back in Minnesota. You can't just claim yourself to be hockeytown for the hell of it like Detroit does, that's kind of lame. That's like going around and saying you're the greatest player to ever play the game and you aren't even a top 6 player on your team.

There's a reason a lot of parents send their talented hockey playing kids to Shattuck-St. Mary's School in Fairbault Minnesota, there's also a reason they have a history of hockey in Minnesota that is rich and very much alive and amongst the best in North America.

I guess you are a wings fan and you want to act butt hurt about me dropping some truth on you.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

There's a reason a lot of parents send their talented hockey playing kids to Shattuck-St. Mary's School in Fairbault Minnesota.

You never have to see your little precious for great stretches of time, and sentencing them to life in the boondocks of Minnesota is a fitting punishment for their transgressions?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I hate the Red Wings as much as anyone, but pretending like they're not a great organization doesn't make it true.

They are a great organization. I do think their claim that Detroit is "Hockeytown" is debatable though. If we're talking about the best American hockey city in the NHL, I would consider Boston and Minneapolis/St. Paul ahead of Detroit.

The Wild already have their own Hockeytown slogan, "The State of Hockey," which is good and accurately represents that hockey is a big deal throughout the state. Deeming Detroit--and by extension southeastern Michigan and Windsor--"Hockeytown" is hardly a reach. That's certainly a hotbed for the sport.

Actually, I'm a Blackhawks fan and I hate the Red Wings with an unwavering passion, so watching them get shut out last night was pretty awesome. Butthurt!

I hate the Red Wings as much as anyone, but pretending like they're not a great organization doesn't make it true.

Who says they aren't a classy organization? Do you guys just jump to conclusions for the hell of it or do you read the comments first? I said they are not "Hockeytown USA" like they themselves have claimed to be. Nothing to do with the organization itself.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

There's a reason a lot of parents send their talented hockey playing kids to Shattuck-St. Mary's School in Fairbault Minnesota.

You never have to see your little precious for great stretches of time, and sentencing them to life in the boondocks of Minnesota is a fitting punishment for their transgressions?

What in the he-man's thong are you talking about?

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Irrespective of the standings from year to year, you have to admit that Raleigh, Atlanta, Miami, and Tampa compose a really ignominious hockey division.

You are correct, I completely agree, which is why Ive long wanted the realignment to bring Washington back into the Atlantic with all its traditional rivals, however, most people look at the Caps recent success and think "oh, they just play in the worst division in hockey and theyre not as good as their record" and frankly it gets kind of old.

Listen, as a Penguins fan you think I am supposed to hate your team because of Ovechkin. I'll admit he's needed in the NHL, for the serious Crosby, you need the opposite of him, the jokester with flair. Some of the stuff he does that he gets away with is downright disgusting and pathetic (love how Mickey Rooney was all up in arms about Koci's hit when Ovy has hit 2 players from behind and got 2 games when he was hurt so barely, nothing)but hey, Colin Campbell is another topic for another time.

The Capitals really haven't changed anything since last season, they need 2 more defensive defensemen and a tighter checking system, they need Ovechkin to stop floating around and actually backcheck instead of hovering the blueline and waiting for the puck to go the other way (don't even refute that, Malkin has been doing the same this season when he never used to before-at last not with this kind of consistency with floating, so there, I mentioned a Penguin that does too so un-bunch your panties). If the Caps want to take a serious run at the cup, they'll have to do that, but really they won't because the team is basically run by Ovechkin, from the jersey change to the style of the game they play...that's a big problem and as a Penguin fan I know about that all too well, ie Kevin Constantine doing what Therrien did with success, unsuccessfully because Mario and Jagr didn't like playing defense and wanted the more run and gun style.

When the Caps stop letting Ovechkin dictate the style, they'll be serious cup contenders. Now tell me I don't know what I am talking about so I can laugh, I need a laugh, it's been a rough month.

It seems like youre picking a fight with yourself. And no, you dont know what youre talking about it this sense: the Caps had a tight checking system with Glen Hanlon, and it got them nowhere, and Ovechkin still scored over 50+ with it. Alex Ovechkin in no way influences the system. If you saw the way Bruce Boudreau has coached throughout his career, he is an offense first coach. He believes in possession as a first line of defense. Im not defending him or his system, im defending your baseless attack on Ovechkins personality and perceived influence on the coaching, although im sure you know players dictating to coaches what THEY want when you see it, after all, you did have Jagr for so many years. The Caps do need 1 more defenseman, not 2. They dont need a full tight checking system, cause that does not play to the strengths of the personnel, if you knew anything about coaching, you dont put in a system to which your players do not fit, it does not work. This is an offensive team in personality and personnel. The Caps need the ability to get a lead, and keep it. Ive preached this all year long, theyve blown way too many leads over the course of the year.

btw, does anyone else enjoy watching him work himself into a tizzy all by himself?

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Nothing natural about a game. It's all just a series of constructs. If you say it can, then it can.

Exactly. I never bought the whole "the shootout isn't natural" argument. The game's evolving, and for better or worse part of that process is dictated by business. The shootout is one of the NHL's best weapons in trying to grab ratings in the United States. It's part of the NHL game now, just like any other. So again, with draws eliminated, go to straight W-L rankings.

Fine, but teams won't be so quick to make it one of the constructs if there's no "loser's point." Just like they weren't willing to go to four-on-four without the advent of the loser's point.

Everyone's happy to see as few ties as possible, but nobody was down with modifying the way the game is decided unless you get guaranteed a point first. And that's where it all went downhill.

The NHL needs to go back to one 5-on-5 OT period. Winner gets 2 points, loser always gets 0, and if there's a tie, the teams split the points.

I agree that the casual fan likes the shootout, but I think people are lying to themselves (but I could be wrong, not like I have numbers to back anything up) if they think more people are watching because of the shootout. Afterall, to see the shootout you have to watch (or follow) 65 minutes of hockey that results in a tie first.

I wouldn't say Hiller has exactly cemented himself as their #1, but he does make a good case to stay as the #1 given the fact that he will make less than Giguere would, is slightly younger and has put up some very good #'s the past few seasons and the playoffs. Last year he put up some amazing numbers in the playoffs and that's something you can't really ignore.

Giguere has the CS under his belt, a Stanley Cup and he has been the first true #1 the team has had in a long time that has actually lived up to the billing since arriving in Anaheim when Calgary gave up on him because they didn't do enough research on his condition where all he needed was a freaking straw to drink water and absorb it, yeah...how crazy is that?

It's a tough choice for Anaheim, if they make a strong push and are 8th when it's close to the deadline, they won't move those vets, no team is going to jeopardize a playoff spot because not only is it a shot to win the cup it's extra revenue. It is a business after all.

The Ducks are lucky in that they have a ton of players hitting free agency, Niedermayer is likely retiring a duck if the ducks push for the playoffs. They could have enough cap space to re-sign Hiller and keep Giguere because history shows, the past 2yrs anyway that Giguere hasn't been the most healthy goaltender in the NHL, not the worst with his health but given that when he goes down Hiller steps up and the Ducks really don't have issues in that department, why mess with a good thing?

I say keep both, the cap space is there. The only problem is semantics, one wants the title to be #1, the other doesn't want to be a #2, so it won't happen so one has to leave and then it comes down to who will play longer, who will play cheaper and who will play at that level of hockey the longest. Is it 3-4 more years of Giguere in the NHL or 8+ of Hiller (27yr old)?

Now think to yourself, Ducks fan, who do you want?

Honestly, I'd rather keep Giguere

Yes Hiller would be cheaper, and yes he has had ONE count it ONE hot stretch in his career through the end of last year and the playoffs. And saying he "steps it up" while Jiggy is out is a stretch. The Ducks were a different team last year. Much more solid defense. When Jiggy was out early in the season, the Ducks still weren't doing so hot with Hiller in net. The Ducks defense has gone down in quality and Hiller has been exposed. This season when Jiggy was out for about two weeks, Hiller wasn't very good. Like I said he has a tendency to give up a lot of soft goals.

Giguere had an all-around forgettable year last season. He had his injuries, the death of his father, etc. I'm just going to wipe that season off. On and off the ice, even watching him on the bench and his comments in the media, it just wasn't the same JS Giguere, not in the slightest. Before the injuries and his father's death, Jiggy was actually playing very well.

I just don't see Hiller as that guy that can steal games throughout a season. He has gotten on ONE immensely hot streak, and even then the rest of the team was better and on the whole played better at the end of last season. I just can't see Hiller carrying the Ducks as the no doubt #1 from season to season to season. I just can't see the Ducks winning a Cup with Hiller as the full-time number one over the next few seasons with Justin Pogge or Timo Pielmeier as the back-up.

The Ducks have been fortunate to have some very good goalies. Early on Guy Hebert, Ron Tugnutt, and Mikhail Stalenkov were very good for the Ducks in the earl Mighty Years. Steve Shields was horrible. Now they've had Giguere, Gerber, Bryzgalov, Hiller. All four have been #1s for a good period of time. Gerber with Carolina and Ottawa, Bryz with Phoenix, and now Hiller and Giguere in Anaheim. Giguere has survived them all in Anaheim, and I think he will come out on top here too.

Sure Hiller can save them money, but I don't see him as that solid rock on the back end to build a team around.

They've got the future strength offensively with Getzlaf-Perry-Ryan and Lupul. They've got some solid young role players with Mike Brown, Matt Beleskey, and Dan Sexton as a rising rookie.. The Ducks have solid young defense with Ryan Whitney, James Wisniewski, Brendan Mikkelson, Brett Festerling, and Luca Sbisa coming back from juniors next year.

They need to have that solid rock in net, Giguere, go sign or trade for a true shutdown defenseman, and fill in the role players and sign a one or two secondary scorers. There is some great talent in the minor league system that continues to develop as well. That will also continue next year once the Ducks get a primary affiliate. Have this happen and the Ducks will return to prominence.

I believe this will only happen with Giguere in net, or not at all. Hiller can not do this. Giguere's money is money in the right place.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

You really only have like two more years of Giguere in his prime, if that. He's almost 33. A lot needs to happen for the Ducks to contend between now and 2012.

The southleast jokes don't matter? Hahaha, Eric Staal scored 20 of his 40 goals last year against the SouthLeast. It is easily the weakest division in the NHL and has been for years.

And yes, I think the divisional stuff is bs, it should be by points who gets placed where. Right now it's retarded with the divisional leaders getting 2nd and 3rd seed with the overall points leader getting the 1st overall spot and the divisional lead.

Hey, at least that division has produced a couple of Stanley Cup winners this decade. When was the last time a Northeast division team won the Stanley Cup?

Unless you are a Carlolina Hurricanes or Lightning fan, I wouldn't be talking dude. My favorite team just so happens to reside in the Atlantic, you know the team that won last year and was in the finals the year before. Then again, mocking the division that holds the most Stanley Cup victories overall in history is sort of moot point.

Yes, I AM mocking the division which does not have a team that has won a title since 1993. I'm also mocking the division that has had the fewest number of final appearances since that time... moot point, my ass!

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived