Pink Jerseys

BigMac12

I was watching the 5 PM news in Phoenix, when there was an article for my old high school, the Marcos de Niza (Tempe, AZ) Padres, will drop their brown & gold jerseys for pink jerseys this Friday. (It's for breast cancer awareness.) I plan on going to take photos.

Do you guys know of other teams wearing Pink in October?

I was watching the 5 PM news in Phoenix, when there was an article for my old high school, the Marcos de Niza (Tempe, AZ) Padres, will drop their brown & gold jerseys for pink jerseys this Friday. (It's for breast cancer awareness.) I plan on going to take photos.

which channel was this on? I heard a few high schools may do that around the Phoenix area Friday and Saturday. Don't ask I heard it on the Channel 12 newscast last Friday

which channel was this on? I heard a few high schools may do that around the Phoenix area Friday and Saturday. Don't ask I heard it on the Channel 12 newscast last Friday

Do high school boys really need to raise their awareness of breasts?

This really takes a good thing too far. There are plenty of issues that would be better suited to high school athletes "raising awareness" of than breast cancer. Start with drunk driving, then maybe move on to drug use, date rape, gun safety, STD prevention, diabetes, obesity ... you can make a pretty long list of things that it would be worthwhile having high school athletes promote before the usual adult disease awareness campaigns rate a mention.

20082614447.png

Do high school boys really need to raise their awareness of breasts?

This really takes a good thing too far. There are plenty of issues that would be better suited to high school athletes "raising awareness" of than breast cancer. Start with drunk driving, then maybe move on to drug use, date rape, gun safety, STD prevention, diabetes, obesity ... you can make a pretty long list of things that it would be worthwhile having high school athletes promote before the usual adult disease awareness campaigns rate a mention.

Shows you how much you know about this disease. With the way people aren't taking care of their bodies, it can happen. There is no such thing as an adult disease, it's how you take care of your body. The fact that they are doing this is positive. Please don't be so ignorant and think that high school kids and parents aren't affect by breast cancer. If one of them has lost a family member due to breast cancer, how can you say that there are more important things to worry about? I just find it dumb that someone would actually criticize high school kids for doing something positive.

Our volleyball team has a "Volley for the Cure" game against our rivals last year that is going to be continued this year. Last year, one team got light pink jerseys and the other got dark pink. They decorated the gym with pink streamers and stuff like that and I think there was a small announcement about breast cancer awareness before the match. They also sold t-shirts the week before the game with the money going towards breast cancer awareness. I think it's a pretty nice thing we have going.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Question: Wouldn't it be smarter to use the money your spending on to buy new jersey's for everyone- to donate to your cause? You can still have a Cancer awareness night without the pink jersey's. I mean- I suppose you could auction off the jersey's- but I don't know- It seems like a lot for a high school program.

Why not what they did in the NFL this past weekend- use pink headbands, socks, or something along those lines.

Just my thought.

If they can afford to buy the jerseys, they have parents with money, so I don't understand the big deal. But I find it interesting that the NFL goes with the wristbands, when they could heck Peyton Manning could afford to cloth probably the entire AFC in pink jerseys and still have plenty of money left over. I find it more impressive that a high school is wearing jerseys than the NFL's wristbands and captain's patches.

to be honest, i think the pink jerseys/gloves/sweatbands/etc trend is a little misplaced.

unless it's a pink uniform to be auctioned for charity, or something that will actually give money to cancer research, i don't much care for it.

i understand it's all for cancer "Awareness" but i don't think there's anyone out there that isn't already well aware of it. as stated above, isn't it better to spend the money on actual research?

Shows you how much you know about this disease. With the way people aren't taking care of their bodies, it can happen. There is no such thing as an adult disease, it's how you take care of your body. The fact that they are doing this is positive. Please don't be so ignorant and think that high school kids and parents aren't affect by breast cancer. If one of them has lost a family member due to breast cancer, how can you say that there are more important things to worry about? I just find it dumb that someone would actually criticize high school kids for doing something positive.

I'm not criticizing high school kids; I'm criticizing the adults involved who are responsible for this.

Of course it's positive. But given the context, it's less positive than many other things would be. It is simply not true that breast cancer is common among children, nor that it results from "how you take care of your body." It's cancer, not tooth decay, and it's vanishingly rare among children. Diabetes, however, is both highly preventable and on the verge of epidemic status among children.

And if we're talking cancers, more of these kids will lose a parent to either colon cancer or lung cancer than to breast cancer. Lung cancer is most often caused by smoking, which usually begins when a person is in high school, and can be caused by exposure to second-hand smoke, such as that experienced by a child who lives with a smoking parent. Why not "raise awareness" of that? Heck, osteoporosis kills more women each year than breast cancer -- and most of those deaths could be prevented if adolescent girls learn good habits about eating dairy instead of junk food. Accidents, suicide, and homicide are the leading causes of death among adolescents, and all are preventable and all would benefit from increased awareness among children and their families.

It's not a bad thing that this team is going all pink ribbon. It's a good thing. It's just that there are many better things this team could do that would have a bigger impact on issues of greater importance to the kids themselves and to their families and community. Plenty of breast cancer awareness will be raised in Tempe this year no matter what this high school does, but on many of these other issues, nobody will do much of anything if the kids do nothing.

20082614447.png

Archived