Rhode Island Reds

JamieRose

So, as some of you vets out there may remember, I made a couple concepts for the Rhode Island Reds, a fantasy football team that I made (poorly) and tried to make better (and failed). Well it's four years later, I'm four years wiser, and I decided to go back to one of my first concepts, and my first logo. When I made this originally, I was 15, a sophomore in high school, called StatikGS, and had some shoddy photoshop skills. Needless to say, it was a mess.

For those of you who haven't been here that long, here's the links to the original concepts. Logo Concept Uniforms

Anyway, I retraced, reshaped, and recolored the original logo concept and made it look more like an actual logo and not a bad, angle-y illustration. Anyway, here's what I have. As always C&C is appreciated.

Reds1.png

TDZiMMB.png

Where else should I add black? I don't want to go too overboard with it, as I'd like to keep black to a minimum in this entire set.

As for the fact that it resembles Arizona's Cardinal logo, I did take some direct inspiration, i know if I got rid of or modified the notch in the eye it would go away., as for the beak I just really like how they did it and took a very similar approach, with a very slight difference in the shape of it.

Any more suggestions on what to add or take away would be much appreciated. I feel like the neck area is a big open space, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

TDZiMMB.png

I would definitely add some shadowing, probably on the neck, or at least make it looks less flat. Also, maybe darken up the brown, because it kinda gets lost with the red (or at least on my monitor it does). maybe use that darker brown as an outline, too, if you really want to avoid black.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

The revised logo is lightyears ahead of the old one. It's very clean and sleek. You don't need black. You could use a dark brown. Put a thick brown outline around the entire bird. Then, use the same color to add some shading, specifically, on the neck, the the beak, and that hanging thing. This should do wonders to make the bird not look so flat.

It's a great start, keep working.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

i can see where you are headed, but at the moment its a bit flat.

i think that there are some more dynamic shapes and lines you could use in the face of a chicken.

its a difficult animal to make a logo with as there are parts of it that seem quite ugly and its difficult

to make all the loose skin look all that dynamic.

i think the black outline doesnt really do anything for the render. id use blocks of black to create shadow and use

a varied line width to get in some more dynamic lines.

i did a few progression sketches of a rhode island red i found that might be of use. ill probably finish this at some

point soon, but in the mean time i thought it may be of use. below is also the reference.

fd

Rhode%20Island%20Red.gif

chicken_sketch.png

Alright, you're getting there. It looks better with the outlines. Now add some brown shapes for shading. Start with the throat and bottom of the beak and it should give you a taste of the flatness going away. Don't shy away from the dark color, it will give your logo depth and,in turn, life.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I think you need to make the Beak attach to the Rooster and extend it more. where its at right now it like to me just floating there. or he facing away from us and i don't think your looking for that. Study some photos of roosters and look at the lines even try Tracing the lines of a photo and starting adding elements as you go along. also don't forget that the Bottom part of the beak is its on piece. it should look like is disappare under the top near the front. hope this helps.

Also i think you should make the Black lines Thicker and make where the eye would sit out of the black. Use the black as a shadow where you would think the shadow would be put less color near the edge. For the main thing what i do is star with a out line in the main base color. and then i start adding the other colors.

MikePho3niX.png

Okay, here's another update. I re-sketched the logo using some new reference pictures, and basically I avoided doing anything like this:

Providence_reds_logo.png

So the Rhode Island Red is a unique kind of rooster with a prominent crown and.. neck flap thingy. Anyway, here's a picture.

RhodeIslandRedCockerelcopyright.jpg

And from that (along with a couple other reference pictures) I made this:

Reds3.png

TDZiMMB.png

Wow definitely an upgrade, i would just try to tweak it to make it look more in movement like what Nole42 said. Either way though, good job on the upgrade.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

It's an improvement, but still very flat and really static. I'd recommend going back and looking at davidson's post. Everything he mentioned is spot on. Use black (or another dark color) in large sections of shadow, with the other colors being used for various highlights or brightened sections. And definitely look at his sketch on the bottom right. He's using lines that zero in on certain imaginary (or real) points to create the sense of movement.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived