AC St. Louis logo

Viola73

Nice colors, but the whole thing is too corporate for my taste. There's a difference between simple and bland, and this is on the bland side.

The basic fleur-de-lis is nice, with the twist, but it's missing something. Maybe if the shield was a more interesting shape.

Feh. I did a green-gold logo for a St. Louis team years ago, and I also used the Armada font.

:upside:

yeah they should totally use your logo brah it's soooooo much better than they one they have now you should send it to them man good job seriously.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

As I said in the other thread, I'm not a fan of the name and hope fans establish a "nickname" for the team sooner rather than later. Although I did read that the name, in addition to borrowing from European tradition, was also selected to honor the Missouri Athletic Club, which has played a large role in many of St. Louis Soccer United's (the backing group) endeavors.

But I'm a fan of the logo. It's a little plain, but I can get on board with it. The colors are nice. The arch shaped crest and fleur-de-lis are nice nods to the city. The flame is nice, even if I don't quite understand it.

I wouldn't have been thrilled with the St. Louis Soccer United logo, as I think there's just too much going on there.

I absolutely love the name and crest. The crest is understated but with a nice, singular, memorable visual linchpin. The name, while Euro-inspired, is not forced or inappropriate (looking at you Salt Lake), although I wish some team would have the guts to go with S.C. for Soccer Club. Great colors too.

Forgive me, but AC stands for...?

Athletic Club.

I'm not sure why Soccer/Football adopted the broader name of Athletic, but that just seems to be the case. In this particular instance, AC over FC or SC probably has to do with the fact that the women's team of the same ownership group is named Athletica (not entirely sure of the "why" on that one) and that it's also a subtle not the the Missouri Athletic Club (an organization that helps make sporting events realities across the state).

Good thing it's AC St. Louis and not St. Louis AC - otherwise, no doubt rival club supporters would have quickly dubbed them the "SLACkers". As I've pointed out before, St. Louis United (the "SLUTs") would have been a dubious name choice for the same reason.

CCSLC signature.png

If you are copying AC from italian clubs (AC Milan, AC Fiorentina (as seen in my sig)) then AC stands for Associazione Calcio, as I'm not aware of the other european teams that have AC that stands for Athletic Club.

Athletic Bilbao of the Spanish league is officially, Athletic Club Bilbao.

That being said, St. Louis is using "Athletic Club" because they have a men's team, a women's team, and a youth team all under the same umbrella.

If you are copying AC from italian clubs (AC Milan, AC Fiorentina (as seen in my sig)) then AC stands for Associazione Calcio, as I'm not aware of the other european teams that have AC that stands for Athletic Club.

Athletic Bilbao of the Spanish league is officially, Athletic Club Bilbao.

That being said, St. Louis is using "Athletic Club" because they have a men's team, a women's team, and a youth team all under the same umbrella.

Also worth noting that many of the major soccer clubs in Europe are really part of an umbrella of sports clubs. FC Porto (portuguese club) for example, fields a number of sports other than soccer: basketball, handball, and floor hockey. So i would imagine that using "Athletic" or "Athletico" would make sense in that case. Though in Porto's case, the FC means football club. In essence football (soccer) is the primary sport but the club refers more to the members then the team. You can be a member of FC Porto, because its a public company now. Not sure if my father is still a member or "shareholder" but he might be.

Also worth noting that many of the major soccer clubs in Europe are really part of an umbrella of sports clubs. FC Porto (portuguese club) for example, fields a number of sports other than soccer: basketball, handball, and floor hockey. So i would imagine that using "Athletic" or "Athletico" would make sense in that case. Though in Porto's case, the FC means football club. In essence football (soccer) is the primary sport but the club refers more to the members then the team. You can be a member of FC Porto, because its a public company now. Not sure if my father is still a member or "shareholder" but he might be.

True, Barcelona has a very good basketball team.

I agree with what most have said earlier. It's boring as hell. It's not exactly bad, but it's just there, completely non-descript. That flame-de-lis logo doesn't look like an athletic logo to me, but more like the logo for an online educational institution. I'm disappointed in them not actually having a true arch in there somewhere. I don't want just the badge in the shape of the arch, I want to see an arch (it appeared in the unveiling that they were going in that direction, sadly it was just part of the animation). It just looks like it was thrown up there as an afterthought. More than that even, they basically just typed out their name in Armada Bold. I need more than that. I don't give a damn who designed it or how much they were paid, that's just lazy. Do SOMETHING to it.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived