NBA: Red (Heat) vs. green (Knicks?) on Christmas

CubsFanBudMan

Sarah Talalay of the South Florida Sun Sentinel has a story and picture of the NBA's new player-customized shooting shirts:

Heat, NBA to unveil new shooting shirts

And at the end is this nugget:

And in New York, the court will look festive as well with the Heat wearing their red uniforms and the Knicks their green St. Patrick?s Day ones.

And in New York, the court will look festive as well with the Heat wearing their red uniforms and the Knicks their green St. Patrick?s Day ones.

I love that the NBA has done as of late with Portland-Seattle and Portland-Dallas. They should keep this tradition going.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Having the Knicks wear a St. Pat's alt for Christmas seems a bit of a stretch compared to those two, though. Unless we can now consider green as a third color for all teams, with Christmas, St. Pat's and green week now part of the program. Maybe it's just me.

How long before white home jerseys become the real alts in the NBA?

Having the Knicks wear a St. Pat's alt for Christmas seems a bit of a stretch compared to those two, though. Unless we can now consider green as a third color for all teams, with Christmas, St. Pat's and green week now part of the program. Maybe it's just me.

How long before white home jerseys become the real alts in the NBA?

The Knicks aren't even wearing the green jerseys this year. But as for me, I'd love to see more color on color in the NBA.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

It's dumb because the jerseys are green with orange, which is hardly christmassy. Just come out with a full-fledged christmas uniform, and drop the St. Patrick's day garb.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's dumb because the jerseys are green with orange, which is hardly christmassy. Just come out with a full-fledged christmas uniform, and drop the St. Patrick's day garb.

I'd love to see the Heat in red with white only wordmark and number and the Knicks in green with white only workmark and number. It may look a little "practice jerseyesque" but I think it could be done right and look great.

Be careful what you wish for. The Bulls, after all, have two green unis -- one with black lettering and one with red.

And hormone, absolutely. NBA beats MLB by far with these holiday-specific one-offs.

It does seem silly to use existing red/green jerseys when so many other holidays are getting their own special jerseys.

Anyway, about the other thing in the article... What's so exciting about customized shooting shirts? I had been lamenting the current warmups/shooting shirts, how undistinctive they are - it seems like every team has 2 or 3 different kinds, all with some generic adidas stripes on the sleeves. In the old days, teams had pretty distinctive home/away warmups; and they were usually customized, I remember the Celtics having the names on the back in those interesting rectangles; even the despicable Pistons had interesting ones with the first name on the front. I don't see why this article is acting like individual player shooting shirts are a novel idea.

One question - is there a difference between shooting shirts and warmups and other things that I don't know? And is that why it seems to me like there are 10 different versions for each team?

Be careful what you wish for. The Bulls, after all, have two green unis -- one with black lettering and one with red.

And hormone, absolutely. NBA beats MLB by far with these holiday-specific one-offs.

Ummmm...I don't know about that? Because MLB has St. plenty of Patrick's Day jerseys, Fourth of July/Memorial Day caps, Spanish jerseys and many different colored alts. The NBA for the most does have St. Patrick's Day jerseys, Mardi Gras for the Hornets, one alt per team, throwbacks and some Spanish jerseys. I would still say that MLB still has more jerseys.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

It does seem silly to use existing red/green jerseys when so many other holidays are getting their own special jerseys.

Anyway, about the other thing in the article... What's so exciting about customized shooting shirts? I had been lamenting the current warmups/shooting shirts, how undistinctive they are - it seems like every team has 2 or 3 different kinds, all with some generic adidas stripes on the sleeves. In the old days, teams had pretty distinctive home/away warmups; and they were usually customized, I remember the Celtics having the names on the back in those interesting rectangles; even the despicable Pistons had interesting ones with the first name on the front. I don't see why this article is acting like individual player shooting shirts are a novel idea.

One question - is there a difference between shooting shirts and warmups and other things that I don't know? And is that why it seems to me like there are 10 different versions for each team?

I think the Celtics still have the their names on the back in the different colored rectangle. But I think they are the only team with any uniqueness to their warmups.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Jhans, I know it might be close, but the NBA also has the foreign series jerseys and Spanish night jerseys of their own.

How many Cavs jerseys are in rotation?

For the Bulls, I can think of regular red, white and black (that's 3) a pinstripe black throwback, red LOS Bulls, a Chicago script red throwback (3) and the two greens already mentioned. So that's 8 in the past couple years I can think of. The Cubs and Sox combined might match that, but I'm not sure. I know MLB is catching up, but my perception is that NBA uses more in half as many games. Reality may vary.

Massive agree. Here's the preferred order for doing this sort of thing:

1. Just schedule the game between teams that already wear green and red.

2. Schedule the game with one team that wears either green or red, and then the other team gets a new, Christmas-themed jersey in the opposite color.

3. Each team gets a special Christmas jersey.

Note that "One team wears its St. Patrick's Day jersey" does not appear on this list. I'm a huge fan of green jerseys and caps for St. Patrick's Day. St. Patrick's Day is a huge deal for me, and always has been. But come on -- Christmas is by far the bigger holiday, on either religious or secular grounds, and so if you're only going to have one special green holiday jersey, it obviously ought to be for Christmas. If you want to have both, great, have both, but don't wear your green and orange St. Paddy's jersey on Christmas. That's just tacky.

20082614447.png

The idea of Red/Green is fine, but those shooting shirts is just a terrible idea IMO. It just goes to show the NBA's shift to individual superstars and marketing certain players, more of an emphasis on the individual than the team....

Or I may just be crazy...laugh.gif

As opposed to the days when they promoted and marketed Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Jhans, I know it might be close, but the NBA also has the foreign series jerseys and Spanish night jerseys of their own.

How many Cavs jerseys are in rotation?

For the Bulls, I can think of regular red, white and black (that's 3) a pinstripe black throwback, red LOS Bulls, a Chicago script red throwback (3) and the two greens already mentioned. So that's 8 in the past couple years I can think of. The Cubs and Sox combined might match that, but I'm not sure. I know MLB is catching up, but my perception is that NBA uses more in half as many games. Reality may vary.

Actually the NBA doesn't do the Foreign Series anymore, it's just patches. But, not all teams have the Spanish Night jerseys. It's basically New York, Phoenix, San Antonio, Miami, LA Lakers, Dallas and Chicago. Even then it's not every year they do it. I still think MLB has more jersey combinations than the NBA.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Archived