Las Vegas 51's

chickenfish13

Lol, well this time pucks comment is better... Puck, I actually realized I had slanted it the opposite way of the text after I posted it, so I'm debating whether to change it.

I should have an update sometime soon...

My comments were fine, it's just you like hearing this one a bit more. :P

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the red-orange color you got there; perhaps you could drop the green and go with the red-orange, in a Martian kind of way, and with the Valley of Fire state park not to far from Vegas, it could have a local tie-in. And yes, I know that in sci-fi perception, Martians are little green men, but still, I've always thought that red-orange, white, and black could make an excellent color scheme.

If you do keep the green, then I would highly suggest using a good amount of white; it helps separate the black from the green, and also the green from the red-orange. It just looks more crisp to me.

I dont know, I think your wordmarks are pretty nice :P I agree their harder though, some people, specifically AAO, have an amzing talent to do new things with wordmarks every time, it's really awesome. I need to learn some more stuff, I either leave it blank, bevel it, or two tone, thats all I know how to do :P

heres an update, I chose the middle script, because most of you guys were against the top, and the bottom looked to plain to me.

lv51supdateprimary3.png

This is pretty good C-Fish. From what I remember about the 51's logo, the stitches are a little bit more subtle. What if you made it a little bit opaque to let the green show through a little bit? The eyes are really cool but a little off. I like the oval highlight, what if it was bigger? I don't think I like the long highlight on the bottom. How about moving it to the top of the eye perhaps overlapping the enlarged oval? These are just some thoughts. I don't know if they'll work but it would be worth a shot.

Great job!

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

One more factual thing you might want to consider is that on a baseball, if the stitching arrows point one way on the left, they will be going the opposite direction on the right.

baseball_2.jpg

I think the rendering of the alien and the outlining looks pretty nice though.

Really like where this is headed. I think the colors work very nicely and you went with the best wordmark option. I'd definitely heed elliot's advice on the stitches.

Also, you might want to tweak the shadows on the alien's head. Right now, with one smooth edge where light meets shadow, it implies that his head is shaped like a smoothly rounded cone, with no eyebrow ridge, cheek, chin, etc. Just one smooth, flat surface. It's a small detail, but maybe worth looking at. Also, I'd recommend a "51's" wordmark to take precedence over "Las Vegas," but that's just because I'm accustomed to seeing nicknames more prominent than place names.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Thanks for all the c and c guys. I'll work on some of those things and have an update.

Dgnmrwrw, I actually tried a lot of different options using 51's, but because it's 2 letters, it's hard to place it and make it look good. I tried putting it by the las vegas, but it looked tacked on. I also tried what they have now, but it really takes away from the alien head. Any arrangement ideas?

Thanks again for all the c and c. Heres the update

- Made the eye ovals larger... couldn't make switching the bottom line work, sorry undead.

- Moved the stitches farther apart, and changed the direction of them.

- Flipped the bevel on the wordmark, inkscaps hasn't been the best with beveling lately, so it may look a small bit off.

Dgnmrwrw, I get what your saying about the shadow, but I couldn't do anything good enough to make the features distinct.

And undead, I have a version with the stitches fading, but it kind of looks like a gradient, and I don't really like it, so I left it out.

lv51supdate4.png

i like the new wordmark as white with green dropshadow. to me, the only thing left to fix is his left eye (our right). like others have said if you work on some shadows. as it is, the green is way too close to his eye making it seemed crammed and even smaller than the other eye because it leaves no room for the natural shadows that are nice on the other eye. just moving the green the slightest bit to the left would really help in my opinion.

CF,

I really like the first version you had (with the spots... they reminded me of craters). I would go back to that, but do three things and you would have an absolutely solid logo.

1) Give the face outline a little more definition. The basic "V" shape is good, but I think a little definition of a jaw line here and there would help de-cuteify it.

2) Where the shadow comes along the face, add the stitching along that line... You wouldn't need to change much, just change the green shape to seem as if it runs into the stitching.

3) See what turning the spots into craters looks like.

Archived