Seattle Supersonics

fishheatcats

Ever since the Sonics moved, and the resulting visual crap fest that popped up in OKC, I've been wanting to do a Sonics concept. I actually started on this quite some time ago but abandoned it during the logo design process. Recently I got the itch again and decided to revisit it.

What I wanted to do from the start was put more emphasis on what "Supersonic" actually means, supersonic aircraft, something that hasn't been referenced in a Sonics logo since their original one from the late 60s. That's where I got stuck, so when I came back to this I kept it in but it was no longer the main design element.

Most noticeably I've added a navy blue to the color scheme, I think it goes well with the classic green and gold. For the primary I came up with a circular design, semi-inspired by a Vancouver Whitecaps logo I did, featuring the Space Needle, Mount Rainier and in the back, a jet forming part of the basketball ribs. I liked the last set of logos the team used, but I found them a bit plain. I wanted to represent "Seattle" with more than just a big "S". I also wanted to include the full name in the primary, something the previous two identities for the team didn't do.

Also included are an all-needle circular alternate logo with just "Sonics" and a tertiary featuring all three elements from the primary on their own in a new layout.

The uniforms are based off of the last set the Sonics used, except rather than a gold alternate I went with a new navy one.

sssl.gif

C&C always appreciated!

Honestly, all the logos are good, but I would definetely center the concept around the top secondary logo. That logo should be your primary, and then create new secondaries from there.

The blue is interesting, but I'd try to go with black, or just keep it green and gold.

I like the wordmarks, because they're classic, yet have a modern feel.

Overall good work, but like I said, your top secondary should be your primary IMO.

Wow I have to say, this is a refreshing look at what the Sonics identity could have looked like. I don?t mind the blue, but it seems to be an element that ?doesn?t belong? in this primary logo. Have you considered putting a few skyscrapers behind that Space Needle, right in front of Mt. Rainier?

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I love this look. The blue really ties the traditional green and gold in with a northwestern theme. I'm also digging your primary. The addition of a supersonic jet is a really nice touch.

One critique though, lose the top alternate. It seems to similar to the primary.

I love this look. The blue really ties the traditional green and gold in with a northwestern theme. I'm also digging your primary. The addition of a supersonic jet is a really nice touch.

One critique though, lose the top alternate. It seems to similar to the primary.

Ever considered that Blue and Greenish Northwestern theme is ugly when slapped on sport memorabilia? thicon_lol.gif

Ever considered that Blue and Greenish Northwestern theme is ugly when slapped on sport memorabilia? thicon_lol.gif

The Canucks, Mariners, Seahawks, and Sounders all seem to pull it off nicely.

The Canucks, Mariners, Seahawks, and Sounders all seem to pull it off nicely.

If done with the right shades. I love the concept above, but the shade of blue doesn?t quite go with the Sonics green and yellow. It's really the bright yellow that throws everything off.

I disagree. I think the blue and green go together nicely, and the yellow makes it pop.

Indeed, the yellow definitely makes it pop. It?s just to me, in the primary logo, the blue looks a bit out of place, while it doesn?t look too bad on the Alternate Uniform with yellow and green being accents.

Wow, this is very well done! I love the addition of the blue that you incorporated. But the rocket ship kind of looks iffy to me in both logos. I like that you were going for it, but it looks like a shadow of the Space Needle to me. Maybe a little tweaking there? But other than that, this is great! Very well done, sir!

MSU-1.png

On the banks of the great Red Cedar, there's a school that's known to all.

Love the update, just wish I missed the Supes as much as I like this update. I will say though that the NBA has to much blue in it now, so I think the navy should be toned down to accent level only, only because it seems everyone is adding some shade of blue. Also I know you were going for an SST look but it looks too much like the Space Shuttle, makes me think Rockets not Sonics. Using something like what the Jets had on their previous helmets may work better. And lastly the lattice on the space needle in the secondary logo is really distracting. I think you may be trying to represent the girders of the elevator column with the lattice work, but it looks really out of place.

It took me minute but I realized that the primary is somewhat reminiscent of the 1995 NCAA Final Four Logo. Was that intentional?

Love the update, just wish I missed the Supes as much as I like this update. I will say though that the NBA has to much blue in it now, so I think the navy should be toned down to accent level only, only because it seems everyone is adding some shade of blue. Also I know you were going for an SST look but it looks too much like the Space Shuttle, makes me think Rockets not Sonics. Using something like what the Jets had on their previous helmets may work better. And lastly the lattice on the space needle in the secondary logo is really distracting. I think you may be trying to represent the girders of the elevator column with the lattice work, but it looks really out of place.

It took me minute but I realized that the primary is somewhat reminiscent of the 1995 NCAA Final Four Logo. Was that intentional?

Not intentional at all. Never even seen that logo before. Freaky lol. The mountain really makes it similar.

Everything is perfect except for the font. Century Gothic is hideous. Maybe Gotham or even Archer would work better.

Looks more like Futura than Century Gothic. Either one is a bad idea for a logo or uniform font (Steelers organization, I'm looking in your direction).

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Archived