Sleeve numbers

zilch

Are sleeve numbers on hockey and football jerseys made wider and thinner? Just by looking at them it seems that way. Watching the Cowboys game it looks as if they are, and the Packers #5's are totally different. It also seems that a good majority of hockey teams look this way as well. Just wondering if someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks,

Zilch

Sleeve numbers are wider proportionally than front & back numbers. Shoulder numbers tend to be the same as the fronts, with a few exceptions (Packers & Cowboys).

Back numbers are also generally taller than the front versions.

The Packers' shoulder 5 is different from the front & back.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The sleeve and shoulder numbers are called TV Numbers I think. So the announcers and stat keepers can see the numbers from whichever distance they are from the action.

and also so photographers / news writers could identify players if the photo caught them from the side.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is there any reason to this?

To fit the spaces better. In normal jersey construction, the front numbers are 8-10" tall, back numbers are 12". Since they are all the same width, the back numbers would naturally be taller proportionally.

Sleeve numbers are made to fit a wider area proportionally, but shoulder/TV numbers are usually the same proportions as the 8-10" front numbers.

And then there are the new Reebok NFL cut jerseys which make everything different :P

Sleeve numbers are wider proportionally than front & back numbers. Shoulder numbers tend to be the same as the fronts, with a few exceptions (Packers & Cowboys).

Back numbers are also generally taller than the front versions.

The Packers' shoulder 5 is different from the front & back.

Whoa, hold the phone there. I noticed the sleeve 5 being different from the front and back 5 for the Packers a long time ago, but the Cowboys are different too? In what ways?

And then there is the Bears, who use a much different, and heavier font for the sleeve numbers. Also, if I recall correctly, they may have a little bit bigger difference between front and back numbers than most teams?

MegatronSig2.jpg

I think it depends on the team, but from what I've seen, most sleeve numbers are wider proportionally than the back numbers. Front numbers are not as common, but I think they're the same as sleeve numbers.

And then there is the Bears, who use a much different, and heavier font for the sleeve numbers. Also, if I recall correctly, they may have a little bit bigger difference between front and back numbers than most teams?

Yep.

ChicagoBears_Num_2002-9999.png

In time would there ever be a section for the teams in ccsl that would have team numbers to go along with the jerseys? I would be more than happy to vectorize them if I could get good quality pics of each digit, or is there something out there already?

In time would there ever be a section for the teams in ccsl that would have team numbers to go along with the jerseys? I would be more than happy to vectorize them if I could get good quality pics of each digit, or is there something out there already?

This could be a welcome addition to the site if done as extensively as ColorWerx has shown. All three variations of numerals, showing all ten digits, for all variations of uniform sets.

Then there are certain teams, like the Jets and Colts, or the Falcons, for example, whose rear numerals are basically the same proportions as the chest numerals (just scaled up, of course) rather than simply increased in height like the Cowboys' and Packers' numerals. Some teams' sleeve numerals are also similar in proportion to their chest numerals rather than being widened like the Cowboys' and Packers' numerals. The Jets' sleeve numerals seem to have a more standard proportion than others.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This could be a welcome addition to the site if done as extensively as ColorWerx has shown. All three variations of numerals, showing all ten digits, for all variations of uniform sets.

I have them in vector for every team, every design for the last few years.

I could start a topic that displays them...

I have them in vector for every team, every design for the last few years.

I could start a topic that displays them...

horshack.jpeg

oooh! oooh! oooooooooh!

please? :)

Archived