Interlocking "USC" Logo Concept

Cola

If you haven't heard, Southern Cal denied South Carolina's request to trademark their interlocking logo for the baseball program that has been around for quite awhile. It is "too similar" and infringes upon them somehow.

I decided to sketch up something and include all letters (USC) with a similar styling.

This is the current Carolina logo that is objected:

Here is my stab:

CarolinaSC_Logo2.jpg

whats up with the TM? otherwise, I really like it, I'd love to see it in SC red, that would look nice.

That would mean "trademark"...I got why it was there.

This is a smart design. But, I think the lines are too thin and the logo is too "boxy"

I would try to compact it and make it bolder, also throw some garnet on it.

whats up with the TM? otherwise, I really like it, I'd love to see it in SC red, that would look nice.

That would mean "trademark"...I got why it was there.

This is a smart design. But, I think the lines are too thin and the logo is too "boxy"

I would try to compact it and make it bolder, also throw some garnet on it.

I did have a version with a garnet outline and also the reverse- however, I wanted to keep the classic look of the early baseball period as the logo appears on the current pinstripe Carolina uniforms.

I think it's a very elegant and well-executed logo. Classy and great for a university. However, hierarchically speaking the emphasis is placed on the U and the S over the C. If you reworked it to prioritize the S and the C (difficult, I know), you'd have a definite winner.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I think it's a very elegant and well-executed logo. Classy and great for a university. However, hierarchically speaking the emphasis is placed on the U and the S over the C. If you reworked it to prioritize the S and the C (difficult, I know), you'd have a definite winner.

Thanks for the compliment. I do see your point and initially sketched in that direction...however, when you glance at the logo- what is the progression of letter recognition in your mind? Maybe it is just me because I designed it, but I first see the "U" stand out...then the "S", and lastly the small centered "C". No?

Thanks for the compliment. I do see your point and initially sketched in that direction...however, when you glance at the logo- what is the progression of letter recognition in your mind? Maybe it is just me because I designed it, but I first see the "U" stand out...then the "S", and lastly the small centered "C". No?

I see the S first. I think it is fine, though. Awesome logo! Very classy. Did you actually trademark it?

doctorwhozimmermansmall.pngeastdillon.png

walt.png

This is a very valid point, and I hadn't thought of it. Now, my mind immediately "reads" the letters in the U-S-C order. I'm a little embarrassed I didn't catch that the first time. Great job. I think this is superb.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I agree with what elliott said but in addition maybe you could experiment with making the logo taller rather than the square shape it is now, pretty much reducing the horizontal length of the characters while maintaining the vertical. Also it might just be the scaling but the serifs on the "C" looks different than the ones on the "U" and "S".

Also it might just be the scaling but the serifs on the "C" looks different than the ones on the "U" and "S".

Well that was part of the problem I ran into...which is also something elliot mentioned. Basically, I ran out of space within the design...or at least felt so. The serif is different on the "C" because the matching serif was too wide and it was very near the "S". Also, when trying to make each letter thicker...that problem also arises. When I increase the thickness of the letters, there is very little white space...especially regarding the "S" and "C".

I will play with it and see if something works. Thanks for the C&C so far.

Archived