Tulsa Shock

Dilbert

The Shock name DOES make sense by the "alludes to the local NBA team" standard.

First, I don't think it's a good idea, anyway (having the Lady Timberwolves is only marginally worse than the Lynx). Second, the connection is extremely tenuous. Let us trace the route:

1. Thunder is a loud sound produced in a storm.

2. In many such storms, lightning is also produced.

3. Lightning is made of electricity.

4. When humans are hit by electricity, they receive a shock.

That's barely a connection. They do have the best logo of any professional team in Oklahoma, though (by a wide margin).

what names based on the crude industry could really work for a womens team?

EDIT: never mind, those were just for a crude industry. I misread.

The marketing department of the Lingerie Football League would like to get in touch with you.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The logo ties in most of the colors that Tulsa uses in all of their sports teams logos, pulling at least one color from them all.

Talons - Blue, Red, Silver and Black

Oilers - Blue, Red and Silver

66ers - Blue, Red, Yellow, and Orange

Drillers - Blue, Black, and Silver

My choice for the Tulsa team name was the Tempo, which described both the word to describe the action on the court, and also for the Tulsa music sound that combined rockabilly, country, and blues. Not only that, Tempo would have fit like a hand in a glove because of the musical heritage of Tulsa and the state of Oklahoma, having produced such artists as Garth Brooks, Vince Gill, Reba McEntire, old time swing fiddler Spade Cooley, The Gap Band (who had the 1980s hit "You Dropped A Bomb on Me"), and Carrie Underwood, not to mention that Roy Clark and Conway Twitty called the Sooner State home for a while, and Buck Owens and his Buckaroos taped their Ranch Shows in the 1960s that originated from Oklahoma City.

However, the keeping of the name Shock didn't surprise me one bit.

That's good to know. I thought they were trying to name the team after a crappy Mercury K-car from the 80's

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

Old one definately looks better. I understand that they changed their colors to match the Thunder accordingly but if you can tell it's gonna be a downgrade, why do it?

Agreed. It's pretty obvious which one of those says Route 66 and which one looks like an imposter... .With that being said, I think they should have left the yellow/orange (whatever clay calls that) and the red the same but used the light blue as the outline like they did it would have kept the Route 66 and Thunder images intact at the same time.

My choice for the Tulsa team name was the Tempo, which described both the word to describe the action on the court, and also for the Tulsa music sound that combined rockabilly, country, and blues. Not only that, Tempo would have fit like a hand in a glove because of the musical heritage of Tulsa and the state of Oklahoma, having produced such artists as Garth Brooks, Vince Gill, Reba McEntire, old time swing fiddler Spade Cooley, The Gap Band (who had the 1980s hit "You Dropped A Bomb on Me"), and Carrie Underwood, not to mention that Roy Clark and Conway Twitty called the Sooner State home for a while, and Buck Owens and his Buckaroos taped their Ranch Shows in the 1960s that originated from Oklahoma City.

Because Tempo would possibly bring up the negative part of Tulsa's history. The GAP in the GAP Band stood for (Greenwood, Archer, and Pine). If you do not know, I am not going to place a link, just look it up. Whether Reba's neice, Calamity McEntire, a collegiate coach returns is another story.

Because Tempo would possibly bring up the negative part of Tulsa's history. The GAP in the GAP Band stood for (Greenwood, Archer, and Pine). If you do not know, I am not going to place a link, just look it up. Whether Reba's neice, Calamity McEntire, a collegiate coach returns is another story.

for people that don't know exactly what to look up they are street names for an area with a large AA presence and that area was home to the Tulsa riots.

for people that don't know exactly what to look up they are street names for an area with a large AA presence and that area was home to the Tulsa riots.

So because its a predominantly black area, we should identify it entirely by a set of riots that all cities with more than 20 black people were having at the time? Also, IIRC, in the 1920's it was known as the "Black Wall Street of the West" (before the KKK burned it down). I think it's a little insulting to say that the accomplishments of the black people who lived there should be downplayed because of how some ignorant rednecks responded to it.

BTW, the GAP Band had tons of hits, not just YDABOM... that was just the only one that got played on Top 40 Radio.

Old one definately looks better. I understand that they changed their colors to match the Thunder accordingly but if you can tell it's gonna be a downgrade, why do it?

Agreed. It's pretty obvious which one of those says Route 66 and which one looks like an imposter... .With that being said, I think they should have left the yellow/orange (whatever clay calls that) and the red the same but used the light blue as the outline like they did it would have kept the Route 66 and Thunder images intact at the same time.

Honestly, I get more of a 1970s vibe from the old one. The updated one makes me think more of the sleepy southwestern towns, blue skies and neon lights that are associated with the route's heyday.

Archived