Tulsa Shock

Dilbert

To me this is as generic of a logo as possible. The colors are really nice, and it is a decent attempt at a tie-in with the Thunder, but this is a bland logo that doesn't bring enough new stuff to the table. If the WNBA could get consistent, creative, iconic identities it would help to establish the league as a legitimate presence in the minds of fans.

scotland_fifasig.png

To me this is as generic of a logo as possible. The colors are really nice, and it is a decent attempt at a tie-in with the Thunder, but this is a bland logo that doesn't bring enough new stuff to the table. If the WNBA could get consistent, creative, iconic identities it would help to establish the league as a legitimate presence in the minds of fans.

If I were the owners, I would have denied any entries for "Shock". I would have made sure Detroit got a Cleveland Browns/San Jose Earthquakes/Seattle SuperSonics type deal. (After all, they certainly have the fanbase for it)

bYhYmxh.png

I don't follow the WNBA religiously (I'm more of an agnostic), but I was always under the impression that Shock fans came the closest to drawing sell-out crowds of any team in the league. I hope that Tulsa fans prove to be similar, but I can't imagine that the move will be much of an improvement. For the "Shock", this was a real missed opportunity to build a strong brand.

scotland_fifasig.png

Is it me or does the word "Tulsa" appear to be on a movie theater facade?

It's an Art Deco thang. I like it. We need more Art Deco sports logos.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

maybe its just me...but its seems like just about every WNBA logo in the league's history had that dumb looking orange and white basketball in it. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Do they really need to emphasize that damn ball? Its ugly and doesn't match many of the colors in the various logos. You don't see every NBA logo with an orange basketball in it. They should atleast take more liberties with the ball. I believe the LA Sparks and another team's logo have a basketball in them but it at least matches the team color. Just a pet peave of mine. I know they are trying to differentiate themselves from the NBA, but enough is enough already...we get it.

My choice for the Tulsa team name was the Tempo, which described both the word to describe the action on the court, and also for the Tulsa music sound that combined rockabilly, country, and blues. Not only that, Tempo would have fit like a hand in a glove because of the musical heritage of Tulsa and the state of Oklahoma, having produced such artists as Garth Brooks, Vince Gill, Reba McEntire, old time swing fiddler Spade Cooley, The Gap Band (who had the 1980s hit "You Dropped A Bomb on Me"), and Carrie Underwood, not to mention that Roy Clark and Conway Twitty called the Sooner State home for a while, and Buck Owens and his Buckaroos taped their Ranch Shows in the 1960s that originated from Oklahoma City.

However, the keeping of the name Shock didn't surprise me one bit.

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

That ball looks red and white to me.

must be my computer because it comes across as more of an orange hue. Either way its still annoying that they insist on incorporating that ugly ball in almost all of their logos. Its not like you see every NHL logo with a puck or hockey stick in it or a football in every NFL logo.

At the very least, it seems to match the red color in the rest of the logo.

I agree with the sentiment, though the NBA is fairly guilty of ball-inclusion already.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

At the very least, it seems to match the red color in the rest of the logo.

I agree with the sentiment, though the NBA is fairly guilty of ball-inclusion already.

that is true. I can also do without some of the NBA logos dominated by just a basketball.

Sorry to bump but I figured out why that Shock logo has been bugging me -- because the bevel highlight is on the wrong side. The whole logo is angled up and to the left, but the bevels are on the bottom-left of the letters. they should be on the bottom right. It looks like the "Shock" wordmark is going to the right way while the whole logo is going left. Looking at the logo is making me dizzy.

I hope Colorwerx doesn't mind me pasting in his color-optimized version ... its the largest version I can find.

TulsaShock_PRM_2010-9999.png

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

My choice for the Tulsa team name was the Tempo, which described both the word to describe the action on the court, and also for the Tulsa music sound that combined rockabilly, country, and blues. Not only that, Tempo would have fit like a hand in a glove because of the musical heritage of Tulsa and the state of Oklahoma, having produced such artists as Garth Brooks, Vince Gill, Reba McEntire, old time swing fiddler Spade Cooley, The Gap Band (who had the 1980s hit "You Dropped A Bomb on Me"), and Carrie Underwood, not to mention that Roy Clark and Conway Twitty called the Sooner State home for a while, and Buck Owens and his Buckaroos taped their Ranch Shows in the 1960s that originated from Oklahoma City.

J.J. Cale...

My problem with the name is the three choices given were impossible. The Shock is the old name (which makes no sense in Tulsa), the Fire is a name from a former defunct WNBA team (the Portland Fire), and the Tempo is just stupid. I feel like with the Tempo and Fire options they were almost forcing a choice of Shock, and that, perhaps, they never planned to change the name: they just wanted the "fans" to feel like the organization's decision to retain the original name was actually their decision.

The WNBA is really in trouble. In the past three years, three of its most successful franchises on the court--Houston, Detroit and Sacramento--have either folded or been relocated (Sacramento was especially bad because they tried to make it sound like the team was going to move, but, alas, they couldn't find a Bay Area buyer...!). If they can't keep their franchises in cities where the team's success on the court actually repays fans' interest in the team, how do they expect to keep teams in their marginal markets like San Antonio and Minnesota?

Back to the logo, I do like the colors, but it looks like the old logo. Oh well. Anything's better than their recent failures (Sky and Dream: I'm looking at you).

The WNBA should hire me to promote them... First thing I'd do is get rid of the stupid white and orange ball.

The Shock name DOES make sense by the "alludes to the local NBA team" standard. Besides, Tulsa 66ers is already used by the local D-League team and what else is Tulsa really known for? Maybe oil, but what names based on the crude industry could really work for a womens team?

Archived