Michigan State changes green

deliver2david

With regard to MSU using "STATE;" How would it go over if the Spartans began to emphasize "MICHIGAN?" Would Wolverine fans erupt in protest? Afterall, basketball jerseys have smaller spaces. I know that in Texas, some Longhorn fans ridicule Texas A&M's use of "Texas Aggies" as sort of a 'brand infringement.' Would an MSU attempt to paint Michigan in green start a turf war?

That's just going to the opposite (and still negative) end of the spectrum. De-emphasizing an entity as simply "State" doesn't mean they have to start trying to go by Michigan.

i like the new green but i think the other is more unique. anyone know if another team/school uses the same new Pantone?

You know that I can answer this question (!)...

The only college I can find is U. of Alaska-Anchorage, although both California State U.-East Bay and Western Illinois U. both use it as part of their "Supplemental Institutional" color palettes. These are additional colors that institutions use for marketing and/or web use. Not really "official".

In the pro ranks, The Seattle SuperSonics used it a couple of times - between the 1967-1968 and 1969-1970 seasons, and also from 1995-1996 through 1999-2000 and 2002-2003 through 2003-2004. The Seattle Storm (WNBA) used it from 2002-2003 through 2003-2004.

And, the Anderson Joes (South Coast League) used it in their only season - 2007.

Green is a color that needs to be dark in my opinion, at least as a primary color. Good move

The Boston Celtics disagree.

sports team, club, hell - country colors should be bold and inspiring, not dark, muted, or otherwise "fashionable". While I'm certainly in the "contemporary" camp, and I do like colors like the Eagles' midnight green, part of me does miss the days of the bold royal blues, the kelly greens, the bright oranges, etc. Colors like that just seem more inspiring and more inviting to rally around.

Copy this post, because it's probably the last time you'll read me agreeing with a "back in the day" kind of thought.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Green is a color that needs to be dark in my opinion, at least as a primary color. Good move

The Boston Celtics disagree.

sports team, club, hell - country colors should be bold and inspiring, not dark, muted, or otherwise "fashionable". While I'm certainly in the "contemporary" camp, and I do like colors like the Eagles' midnight green, part of me does miss the days of the bold royal blues, the kelly greens, the bright oranges, etc. Colors like that just seem more inspiring and more inviting to rally around.

Copy this post, because it's probably the last time you'll read me agreeing with a "back in the day" kind of thought.

I'm saving this on my desktop to use against you in the future. :D

Pretty pointless change. No one outside this forum is going to see the difference on the field. Their current green looked great on the football unis.

Its actually more obvious then you think....but yes, I agree that most people won't notice unless you point it out to them. I like the move especially when so many of their sports teams were basically doing their own thing with their unis. It'll be great to see one uniform look throughout the sports program.

Archived