Michigan State changes green

deliver2david

The Lansing State Journal reported today that the Board of Trustees officially replaced, universitywide, the Spartan green that's been used since 1997.

The new shade is similar to the green used before 1997..

Good move. Maybe other schools like BYU can follow in their footsteps.

The Block S is as dumb as the U for Miami. How stupid would it be for Virginia Tech to just use a T for their logo? What if Boston College just used a C for their logo? RETARDED.

Agreed. I hate the block S. Especially since plenty of other schools use block S's. Why not go with the logo that's both better and more recognizable?

Green is a color that needs to be dark in my opinion, at least as a primary color. Good move

couldn't disagree more. While it may look better on caps and fan gear, pine green just looks like a "soft" color next to kelly or any other bold shade of green.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Block S is as dumb as the U for Miami. How stupid would it be for Virginia Tech to just use a T for their logo? What if Boston College just used a C for their logo? RETARDED.

Stay classy buddy.

The Miami "U" is one of the most recognizable college marks around. Comparing Virginia Tech's initials to Miami's is basically comparing apples and oranges. No one but VT uses a VT abbreviation. Same for BC, no one in Div1 uses the BC moniker but BC. How many teams use UM or MU? Exactly. Thanks for playing.

Stay classy buddy.

The Miami "U" is one of the most recognizable college marks around. Comparing Virginia Tech's initials to Miami's is basically comparing apples and oranges. No one but VT uses a VT abbreviation. Same for BC, no one in Div1 uses the BC moniker but BC. How many teams use UM or MU? Exactly. Thanks for playing.

I agree. Plus the block S goes with the basketball team's use of "State" on their jerseys. That could connotate any college, but in that case, with those colors, you know who they're talking about. I'm more a fan of the Sparty logo, but I don't have any objections with the block S.

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

I'm going to congratulate the Detroit News for actually representing the two colors accurately.

I wasn't aware that athletics officially used a different green than the rest of the university, so I was shocked to see you say that. The old green in that graphic looks nothing like the color we were using when I worked there, but two greens explains it.

According to the article, this isn't a change for the athletics, just getting the rest of the university to use the same shade. Makes sense. Ferris started doing the same thing a few years ago, but it was opposite with the athletics dropping their darker shade and adopting the lighter crimson the rest of the university was using.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I like the darker shade of green.

With regard to MSU using "STATE;" How would it go over if the Spartans began to emphasize "MICHIGAN?" Would Wolverine fans erupt in protest? Afterall, basketball jerseys have smaller spaces. I know that in Texas, some Longhorn fans ridicule Texas A&M's use of "Texas Aggies" as sort of a 'brand infringement.' Would an MSU attempt to paint Michigan in green start a turf war?

FsQiF2W.png

At first, I thought that this was a bad move (going dark), but if the "new" green is actually the original green, why not?

Off topic, but now BYU needs to dump their BYU Aggie Blue (aka Utah State's navyish blue) and go back to their Cougar blue (royal).

Archived