Olympic American Football - Germany

The Imperfect

Well I decided to do a concept pertaining to the Olympics and the sport which I am most familiar with when it comes to making a concept. This is my first football concept using a PSD, and I used photoshop, which I am not very good at. Anyways, here is my quick mock-up for an American football team representing Germany. Obviously this would never happen, but the idea of national uniforms is pretty good, and had some ideas of what to do with Germany right away.

Anyway I am looking for opinions, criticism, and comments on my execution of the jersey in photoshop and the concept itself and if you would like to see future concepts.

germanyp.png

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

Well I decided to do a concept pertaining to the Olympics and the sport which I am most familiar with when it comes to making a concept. This is my first football concept using a PSD, and I used photoshop, which I am not very good at. Anyways, here is my quick mock-up for an American football team representing Germany. Obviously this would never happen, but the idea of national uniforms is pretty good, and had some ideas of what to do with Germany right away.

Anyway I am looking for opinions, criticism, and comments on my execution of the jersey in photoshop and the concept itself and if you would like to see future concepts.

germanyp.png

Don't like the white jersey. Can't picture it on a big lineman who has a gut, the stripes just wouldn't look good.

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

On the white jersey, you should just go with flag-like striping on the sleeves (i.e. add a black stripe above the red and yellow).

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

If I were you, I would definitely focus more on muted colors such as white and black, with a touch of red and yellow here and there. Because there is no American football in Germany, I would look at other German national team sports for inspiration. Looking at the soccer team, you'll find they are almost always white top, black shorts, with minimal extra colors for the home kit. There are exceptions, but few. The hockey team in the Olympics is similar, except with a touch more color. Right now, these uniforms just don't shout German to me. Like the others said, I'd drop the flag on the white jersey. I'd reconsider the helmet as well. I know the logo on the hockey sweaters is amid a yellow crest, but it pops too much and I wouldn't say yellow is such a prominent German color (I know its on the flag, but I mean in terms of sporting history) to justify its use on the helmet. I grew up in a German family so I thought I'd throw some perspective into it for you.

Examples

http://static.uslnn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/podolski-400x288.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2766/4308534817_3741be5d1e_o.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q124/cdnuniguy/International/germwhite.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q124/cdnuniguy/International/germany.jpg

Actually Germany is one of about 70 sountries with a national program and have been participating in the IFAF (International Federation of American Football) since its start. Go to usafootball.com or serarch Junior football championship and you'll see them. They were pretty plain but I think Under Armour gave them a decent treatment for the tourney.

That helmet looks great! For the white jersey, I honestly want to say to flip the flag on the waist, because I feel the colors lend themselves to an easier transition that way (Black-Red-Yellow-White, Darkest to Lightest) But you obviously can't just flip a flag. So I would say move the stripes to the shoulders, maybe do a shoulder-yoke type thing. Honestly I'm just saying this as someone viewing the design purely aesthetically; you should take aawagner's advice and research some more.

Nonetheless the idea for this concept is very interesting.

I think your concept is pretty good. Not sure I like the yellow helmet though. The only thing I would change about the whole concept is to maybe try a black helmet. Other then that I really think the rest of the uniforms are great. For being not very good at photo shop, they turned out pretty good for you. Nice work.

Just for a reference, and for proof that Germany does have an American football team, here's what the German Jr. team wore in last years Jr. World Championship:

976-650x600.jpg

1159-650x600.jpg

I think Germany is actually the European country most interested in American football. At the end on NFL Europa, all but one team was from Germany. I'm not sure why the NFL hasn't done an International game there yet. They even have their own pro league:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Football_League

Actually Germany is one of about 70 sountries with a national program and have been participating in the IFAF (International Federation of American Football) since its start. Go to usafootball.com or serarch Junior football championship and you'll see them. They were pretty plain but I think Under Armour gave them a decent treatment for the tourney.

That was news to me. Didn't know that. Anyways, thanks for letting me know, as I had not heard of it before! :)

Archived