King's Court 2 - Voting

JQK

Click and Drag to view  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seriously guys? The neon green, gradient filled, Wild rip off? Really? THATS the one youa re voting for?

OK.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Seriously guys? The neon green, gradient filled, Wild rip off? Really? THATS the one youa re voting for?

OK.

Okay, I don't want to see like a lamer here because I didn't even enter this competition, but here goes. Paynomind, I voted for Winters in Buffalo's logo because it made the most accurate depiction of the Northern Lights. The lights are in fact one giant gradient, and I like the way that he incorporated that into a basketball, because I seriously wasn't able to do it myself.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

OK.

Winters' was the only one that depicted anything close to Northern Lights.

'Northern lights' do not refer to stars. They are the aurora borealis, the mysterious swaths of colour in the night sky. Winters was the only one to come close to representing that.

It just so happens that light green is one of the more common colours for the northern lights, as well as reds, purples, and blues.

Mockba's Minnesota Aurora concept IMO could've won this challenge, but for some reason he chose not to enter it.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Thanks, kids, for the lesson on what aurora borealis is... i really appreciate that, because I slept throught he entire 7th grade, then thats all we talked about in science class.

True, his showed a photo realistic representation of aurora borealis...

and HALF of the goal was for a representation of the northern lights.

But the OTHER half was to make an ORIGINAL SPORTS LOGO. Copying the Wild's look is not original, and applying a million gradients with 32 bit colors is not a sports logo.

Look, dont get me wrong, I certainly didn't deserve to win. Mine was crap i made in 15 minutes to see if I could do something in one color. I couldn't, and for some reason, added grey. I don't think I deserve the votes, but geesh.

I'm sorry, Winters. My outburst is unnessesary, and was not intended to disparage you. I'm sorry I've done so. Congrats ont he run-away win.

Anyway, I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

But the OTHER half was to make an ORIGINAL SPORTS LOGO. Copying the Wild's look is not original, and applying a million gradients with 32 bit colors is not a sports logo.

The only thing that is remotely similar is the landscape and the fact that it has evergreen trees in the logo. In which case, litigation from the Minnesota Timberwolves has already been filed against the Wild. Stanford University also happens to be up in arms. :therock:

Sorry paynomind, I just don't see your line of reasoning here. I didn't mean to belittle you by pointing out what aurora borealis is, but I know a lot of southern Americans who might not be completely familiar with the ins and outs of Northern atmospheric phenomena.

In terms of gradients... well, in many ways it comes with the subject territory. I concede that most other sports teams have avoided it, although not all... the D-Rays used to have a gradient in their logo, and I suspect they're not the only ones. The contest was for a Northern Lights sports logo, and approx 3/4 of the voters felt that Winters' was the best.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Mockba's Minnesota Aurora concept IMO could've won this challenge, but for some reason he chose not to enter it.

I think he would have won also but I think parts of that logo are taken directly from the Minnesota Wild scheme. So it wouldn't have been eligible. The Aurora logo is good too.

Congrats Winters, great logo!

Normally I just take my beating on this board and try harder on the next contest I enter, however...I must give my critisism of the Winters logo. And simply put, after ooo-ing and ah-ing us with the nice basketball and gradient, what else does this logo have?? It doesn't have a decent font at all and that kinda makes it lose value in my book. And fonts have been key on this board before, I know because I've heard about it on my work.

Im not saying that my logo is better, that's what voting is for.

Just had to throw my 2 cents in the ring...

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

I see where this is going, and I can imagine it could get ugly, so let's try curtailing this right now.

It's not inconceivable that Winters will win this contest. However that does not mean that his logo is perfect, but it does mean that of the presented logos, CCLSMB voters thought that his best represented the contest's ideals.

So all criticism of his logo aside, he deserves props for having the best work (in the eyes of the voters) on this day.

Now if we're going to be adding criticisms for his logo, I'd suggest that those persons be fair and provide criticisms for the rest of the logos and perhaps some suggestions, just so it doesn't look like anybody is sore about getting beat (don't take this to mean that I think you are, but as a preventative measure) and in the spirit of collective creative encouragement.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Fair enough...

The first one is mine: I think it's good...but my opinion only counted once.

2nd: horrible

3rd: very interesting...looks more like and atom bomb exploding which does look really cool. Good color scheme.

4th: Simple, clean and to the point. I would like to see this logo with more than the blue and gray.

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

Wow, enough with this bickering. Don't critique, just vote. People only put their work in because they felt they had a chance in a contest that someone put on. They don't want their work picked at and disected. They had fun doing it and that is all that mattered. These contests are supposed to be fun. Good job to all who entered! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Wow.

im DIS-pressed here fellas.

Not by the logos, the logos are all nice attempts, and have both good and bad parts to them, some conceptualized better, one far more than the others... but what bothered me...

well.

This is a board where we respect eachtother, simple as that. So, How about you read what your typing before you send it. Respect these people, like it or not, they are reading and making assumptions on your charachter. With that said, You guys are sounding like complete babies. No offense to all that entered, but Winters was BY FAR the best.

Hes not a better person, his manhood isnt bigger than yours, hes not even necessarily a better designer than you, (as if that should even matter here)

Myself, a completely objective observer, and to date 23 other observers have agreed his was the finest, and saw no tangible similarities, or "rip-offs" as you are claiming. not only that, he was the only to accurately portray the northern lights. Why did he use a gradient?? It looks like a gradient, thats what i would have used, and probably even more accomplished designers than myseld.

I dont see why your all so bitter. I could point out both of you giving glowing appraise to someone remodeling an nhl jersey by adding a stripe. He made a completely new logo. The wordmark needs work :D , but its a good logo.

payno, as you said, you whipped yours up in 15 minutes, i can think of maybe 5 designers that would comeup with something absolutely killer in that time, and they would all probably still think it sucked. My point, you get what you put in.

Im sorry if i come off preachy, but its just how i immediately felt after reading this thread.

Winters, im sorry your deserved landslide is now tainted.

Good attempts by all though, and good idea JQK

Wow... had I known this was going to spark such a big debate, I would have worn nicer pants.

On any given day, I more than welcome critiques of my designs... I actually had a brief exchange last week during which I said that I'd rather get a few serious and meaningful critiques and suggestions than pages full of empty "nice job" responses. However, I feel like the posts here have been more of an attack than constructive criticism - primarily because they did not come in the actual thread where the design was posted, but instead began appearing after the voting was well underway.

But, I'm not going to argue with anyone about thier posts here, and I'm certainly not going to pick apart the other designs in retalliation. I will, however, address the main criticisms and provide some insight on how I developed the design, since we're all about sharing and learning from each other.

1. The use of gradients - First, I personally don't like gradients in logos either, but I think the name 'Northern Lights' required it. Only a team that was actually called The Gradients could better justify the use of the dreaded effect. Also, I'm not the only one who used gradients to represent the Northern Lights. There was one other gradient design, and another that used a glare/star effect (I don't know what it's called, or how it was created). Thats 3 out of 5 designs that used some sort of mutli-color effect, so I'm not sure why I was singled out.

While my lights-effect looks complex, it was actually quite simple to create. I made two copies of a curved shape, placing one at the bottom of the logo and the other at the top, at a slight offset. The bottom shape was filled with a 3 color gradient, and the top was a solid fill with the same midnight blue that I used in the sky background. Then I did a blend between the two shapes to create the fade effect of the lights. It was easy, but I had to think about it all weekend to figure out how to make it.

2. It's a Wild rip-off - Well, it was definitely Wild-inpsired, but none of the elements were taken from the Wild logo. I created every piece myself, although I did have to reference a photo of a basketball to make the lines. Anyway, when I read the name "Minnesota Northern Lights", two things immediately flashed in my mind... it sounds like a WNBA name, and the team would probably share a home with the Wild.. This set me on the track to develop this logo as a basketball concept, and to create the logo as a Wild-like outdoor scene. The best way to represent the sky was to include a horizon, which to me says 'trees'. Evergreen trees better represent the North, so I went with them - and purposely tried to make them look as different as I could to the the trees in the Wild logo (mine are actually just a stack of triangles as opposed to an actual tree shape.)

3. The font sucks - Sure, it's plain, but JQK's guidelines didn't say we had to include a wordmark... this was a logo contest. And, while I could have easily spent another 3 hours making the wordmark, at that point it was unecessary and we weren't working on a long enough deadline for me to worry about it. After reading Nesi's comment, I looked back at the other logos, and didn't really see anything spectacular in terms of fonts, so again, I'm not sure why I was singled out.

Anyway, please keep the comments coming. I'd love to see what some of the pro designers think of it, and I welcome thier suggestions on how I can improve this design and my work in general.

I'm not a pro. I don't consider even myself to be a halfway decent designer yet. But, I've been working on improving and was really pleased with the way this logo turned out. It's by far my best to date, and I thank everyone who have been supportive of my creative development so far.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

My appologies go to winters. I respect you, and your work as a designer. I appologize for behaving poorly. I was wrong. I was in a bad mood when I posted, and should ban myself from the board when I am pissed about other things. (Also when i'm drunk, but thats another story.) Hopefully my comments seemed out of character for me, and this type of garbage-spewing is not what you expect form the dear paynomind. I again appologize to you, winters.

Congrats on your landslide win.

As for my comments.. all I can ask is that you heed my nickname, and... paynomind.

ΓΔΒ!

Well put Winters and Payno, and im sorry you got lumped in Zone, i tried to point out who i was speaking of.

I have also been overly sensitive before in my earlier years here, its not a big deal the first couple of times. Anything you make is an extention of you, so you take pride, thats natural.

I think everything has been said, and im sure all involved are decent people that were just caught on the wrong day.

cant wait to see the next kings court, where i can mop yaal up :P

Archived