Syracuse Crunch's new colors

BostonBlazer

The Syracuse Crunch just revealed their logo with a new color scheme. The Crunch are getting the Anaheim Ducks as their new affiliate now that Columbus has Springfield.

Here's the logo in the current color scheme:

syracusecrunch.png

Here's the new color scheme:

Crunch_2010-11_Logo_Image_404X270.jpg

As I said about the Falcons' new color scheme, I'm not that crazy about the Crunch's one either. Another downgrade.

Syracuse Crunch really goes well with

SchenectadyCrispies.PNG

Where are those fists coming from? Are they the gorilla's fists? Why is he hitting himself? Are they someone else's? Why is the gorilla being attacked in his own logo? WHAT IS GOING ON? Oh well, that's a pretty bitchin' shade of beige they've got going on now. It'll look good on the prospects they trade away for Georges Laraque and Chris Chelios.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

These non-fitting color schemes with the affiliate switcheroos give me more reason to thank the Lord that my Admirals

1. Will remain the Nashville Predators' affiliate for many years to come, and

2. Keep their own unique color scheme & logo design right down to the shoulder patches (I don't believe we'll ever see them switching over to the Preds')

bYhYmxh.png

These non-fitting color schemes with the affiliate switcheroos give me more reason to thank the Lord that my Admirals

2. Keep their own unique color scheme & logo design right down to the shoulder patches (I don't believe we'll ever see them switching over to the Preds')

They better not. Bone anchors FTW.

I still don't know if it's better or worse than their first logo.

2176.gif

Let's provide a little context for that one, shall we?

SyracuseCrunch98-99_alt_front.jpgSyracuseCrunch98-99_alt_back.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

WOW!!!!! That's a bad one. The ice chunks on the shoulders are ridiculous. The name is kind of hard to really visualize, but how moany gorillas are indigenous to Syracuse? Is it a yeti or something? I guess a menacing creature skating at you would only end in the words "CRUNCH" in a word bubble or like that batman effect on the tv show. lol.

Hopefully, my memory is correct.

Syracuse got the name, "Crunch" back around 1994 from the team owner's son. The owner's wife (now ex) designed the original logo with the superhero on it. In 2000, when the Crunch were getting Columbus as their new affiliate, they wanted a new logo concept. I actually know one of the guys that got involved in designing the current logo. He posts on the AHL message boards. After many rejected ideas for this logo, someone suggested to him a gorilla and the guy from the AHL forums went with that idea. Originally, the logo was meant to have the word "CRUNCH" in the gorilla's mouth while breaking a hockey stick over his head. The AHL didn't approve of that logo because they thought it was "too violent". Instead of sending the logo back to the guys who designed it for revising, they sent it to the jersey designers in Montreal for revising, and this is what we have.

Hopefully, my memory is correct.

Syracuse got the name, "Crunch" back around 1994 from the team owner's son. The owner's wife (now ex) designed the original logo with the superhero on it. In 2000, when the Crunch were getting Columbus as their new affiliate, they wanted a new logo concept. I actually know one of the guys that got involved in designing the current logo. He posts on the AHL message boards. After many rejected ideas for this logo, someone suggested to him a gorilla and the guy from the AHL forums went with that idea. Originally, the logo was meant to have the word "CRUNCH" in the gorilla's mouth while breaking a hockey stick over his head. The AHL didn't approve of that logo because they thought it was "too violent". Instead of sending the logo back to the guys who designed it for revising, they sent it to the jersey designers in Montreal for revising, and this is what we have.

Unfortunately the Crunch falls into that late 1980s-early 1990s craze of the kookie singular team names. With all due respect, I always thought that "CRUNCH" had a connection with the candy bar. But I'm sure there were trade mark considerations with that.

What the Syracuse ownership should have done originally was to resurrect the name "STARS" from the original Syracuse A.H.L. team in 1936-37 (and winners of the first Calder Cup). Syracuse Stars has meaning for the city and would be a great name to go back to. I know of the A.H.L. Texas Stars, but you've already got the Milwaukee and Norfolk Admirals so what would be wrong with another team with Stars?

Milwaukee and Norfolk were from 2 different leagues until the IHL was absorbed into the AHL. It's not like they were new franchises taking the name of a currently established one.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Milwaukee and Norfolk were from 2 different leagues until the IHL was absorbed into the AHL. It's not like they were new franchises taking the name of a currently established one.

I get your point. But if you read closely I said Syracuse should have originally been the Stars when they entered the A.H.L. in 1994. That pre-dates the A.H.L. absorbtion of the I.H.L. teams, the Norfolk Admirals and the Texas Stars. Maybe if the Salt City Six had used the "STARS" name back in '94 there would be no Texas Stars today. And no conflict.

But doesn't Leopold own the Wild now? I would think that the combination of the Twin Cities proximity to Milwaukee and Leopold's connections to the MKE area would make it silly NOT to affiliate. I rather like the idea of the Ads and Wild playing a once-a-season doubleheader at the Bradley Center.

I still can't take them seriously with that pee-wee league skeleton they've been using. If they would just revert back to their previous logo in those GORGEOUS current colors (and possibly the previous template), they'd be perfect.

Anyway... back to the Crunch, which is possibly the weakest name in all of minor league sports (and that's saying A LOT!). I guess I prefer the re-colored version in the same way I'd prefer to eat spinach rather than a dog-turd.

But doesn't Leopold own the Wild now? I would think that the combination of the Twin Cities proximity to Milwaukee and Leopold's connections to the MKE area would make it silly NOT to affiliate. I rather like the idea of the Ads and Wild playing a once-a-season doubleheader at the Bradley Center.

Actually, the Wild are the owners of the Aeros, so I don't see that affiliation stopping anytime soon (unless an NHL team comes to Houston).

Also, the Admirals and Predators just signed an extension to keep the affiliation running until 2015.

I still can't take them seriously with that pee-wee league skeleton they've been using. If they would just revert back to their previous logo in those GORGEOUS current colors (and possibly the previous template), they'd be perfect.

I didn't like it either at first...But once I saw it more, it really grew on me...older pre-teens and up LOVE that we have a skeleton pirate as our logo! (my little brother calls him "Admiral Skully," which I think would win a contest if they ever decided to have this guy join Roscoe the dog in live-action form).

Anyway... back to the Crunch, which is possibly the weakest name in all of minor league sports (and that's saying A LOT!). I guess I prefer the re-colored version in the same way I'd prefer to eat spinach rather than a dog-turd.

I don't see how that name has anything to do with Syracuse...the only time I've seen that name make sense was in the original GLIFL (now CIFL) Battle Creek Crunch (that's because it's home to Kellogg's)-Plus it's the name of my NHA team's farm team (Burlington, WI is home to a Nestle plant where the Crunch bar is made)

bYhYmxh.png

You're crazy. Spinach is delicious.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived