Cool Base

ltjets21

I was reading another thread when it said the reason the Astros dont wear grey on the road is because they aren't coolbase. What teams use coolbase?

Has nothing to do with the gray not being Cool Base. It has to do with the owner liking the red jerseys and wanting to see the red jerseys as much as possible on the road.

I was reading another thread when it said the reason the Astros dont wear grey on the road is because they aren't coolbase. What teams use coolbase?

Has nothing to do with the gray not being Cool Base. It has to do with the owner liking the red jerseys and wanting to see the red jerseys as much as possible on the road.

Well, that's not exactly it.

Three years ago, when the CoolBase jerseys debuted, they were first available only in the alternate colors. Next, they were made available to the teams in the home white. But the gray just wasn't coming out right, and it was almost two full seasons until gray jerseys were available. During this time, several teams, but most notably the Astros, went to wearing their CoolBase alts almost exclusively on the road because they felt they were at a disadvantage on hot days in the double-knits.

The Astros now have the grays in CoolBase, as do most teams. But the tradition of wearing red mostly on the road continued.

Three years ago, when the CoolBase jerseys debuted, they were first available only in the alternate colors. Next, they were made available to the teams in the home white. But the gray just wasn't coming out right, and it was almost two full seasons until gray jerseys were available. During this time, several teams, but most notably the Astros, went to wearing their CoolBase alts almost exclusively on the road because they felt they were at a disadvantage on hot days in the double-knits.

The Astros now have the grays in CoolBase, as do most teams. But the tradition of wearing red mostly on the road continued.

But the reason the tradition continues is because the owner prefers the red jersey. I've seen multiple stories confirming this in the past two years.

But the reason the tradition continues is because the owner prefers the red jersey. I've seen multiple stories confirming this in the past two years.

The Astros don't have the greys in COOLBASE. They "can" get them in COOLBASE (like any other team can), but since they so rarely wear them now (mostly due to Drayton's love of the bricks) they don't bother to get them in COOLBASE.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Astros don't have the greys in COOLBASE. They "can" get them in COOLBASE (like any other team can), but since they so rarely wear them now (mostly due to Drayton's love of the bricks) they don't bother to get them in COOLBASE.

Felipe Paulino and the tell-tale CoolBase underarms disagree with you.

600xPopupGallery.jpg

The Astros only have the road "red" alt in coolbase. This comes straight from the guy in charge of the Game Worn program. He says Oswalt is getting a home "red" alt at his request but we have no road "grey" coolbase jerseys. I think it just makes it look like a collbase in that pic but i'm pretty sure it is not.

They should be wearing Cotton! Cotton breathes, you see, it's much softer. Imagine playing games and your team is five degrees cooler than the other team. Don't you think that would be an advantage? They're cooler, they're more comfortable...they're happier - they're gonna play better.

The Astros only have the road "red" alt in coolbase. This comes straight from the guy in charge of the Game Worn program. He says Oswalt is getting a home "red" alt at his request but we have no road "grey" coolbase jerseys. I think it just makes it look like a collbase in that pic but i'm pretty sure it is not.

That picture is quite clearly CoolBase. They don't make jerseys that "look" like CoolBase.

They should be wearing Cotton! Cotton breathes, you see, it's much softer. Imagine playing games and your team is five degrees cooler than the other team. Don't you think that would be an advantage? They're cooler, they're more comfortable...they're happier - they're gonna play better.

Great Seinfeld reference.

"Mattingly splits his pants!"

I don't understand why you wouldn't have coolbase it is preferred by most players. I think the astros might be the cheapest team in baseball, they wont buy batting helmets in red that they wear once a week, and wont even purchase coolbase jerseys.

I don't understand why you wouldn't have coolbase it is preferred by most players. I think the astros might be the cheapest team in baseball, they wont buy batting helmets in red that they wear once a week, and wont even purchase coolbase jerseys.

They don't purchase jerseys, a certain number are supplied by Majestic, with teams paying for any past their allotment. The allotment is VERY generous and very few teams end up paying for any jerseys. The CoolBase jerseys do not cost any more and do not count any more toward the allotment than the double-knits.

Felipe Paulino and the tell-tale CoolBase underarms disagree with you.

600xPopupGallery.jpg

As mentioned above, that's the imprint from the undershirt. Alyson Footer, who works for the Astros, has said repeatedly that they rarely wear the greys BECAUSE they aren't in COOLBASE (in addition to Drayton's preference of the bricks). If I were a betting man, I'd say that the Astros don't have grey COOLBASE jerseys because Drayton has some sort of delusion that his team is a "traditionalist" organization and he wants to be like the Yanks and shun the COOLBASE whenever possible.

Here is a link to a photo from the same game. The Giant is in COOLBASE (see gusset) and the Astro is not (see no gusset).

They don't purchase jerseys, a certain number are supplied by Majestic, with teams paying for any past their allotment. The allotment is VERY generous and very few teams end up paying for any jerseys. The CoolBase jerseys do not cost any more and do not count any more toward the allotment than the double-knits.

Someone on the boards found out what the deal was at some point in the past 2 years. It is something like each team gets a team set of jerseys in either doubleknit or COOLBASE for each of one they have and then they have to pay for a second set. The Astros get a free set of pinstripes, greys, home white, home brick, and road brick, in any material they want. If they want a second set in the other material, they pay. For instance, when the A's had a full set of doubleknit and COOLBASE for every jersey last year, they had to pay for the second set of each. The Phillies, on the other hand, are COOLBASE only, so they don't pay for any extra jersey sets.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Here is a link to a photo from the same game. The Giant is in COOLBASE (see gusset) and the Astro is not (see no gusset).

Not necessarily in this case, but you are aware that just because one player in the field is/isn't wearing a CoolBase doesn't necessarily mean that the whole team is. There are players on some teams that only wear double-knit jerseys even as their teammates wear the CB jerseys.

Someone on the boards found out what the deal was at some point in the past 2 years. It is something like each team gets a team set of jerseys in either doubleknit or COOLBASE for each of one they have and then they have to pay for a second set. The Astros get a free set of pinstripes, greys, home white, home brick, and road brick, in any material they want. If they want a second set in the other material, they pay. For instance, when the A's had a full set of doubleknit and COOLBASE for every jersey last year, they had to pay for the second set of each. The Phillies, on the other hand, are COOLBASE only, so they don't pay for any extra jersey sets.

Yeah, that was me. Each team gets two full sets of 45 jerseys in each color the team wears, with a few exceptions. There's a cap of eight sets, so teams that have five or six jerseys aren't getting two sets of each.

If a team chooses to auction a set off for charity in a "shirts off our backs" promotion, MLB picks up the cost. Majestic provides the one-off throwbacks and Jackie Robinson Day 42 jerseys at no cost. In addition, teams that qualify for the playoffs can request an additional set at no charge.

On the rare occasions that the teams have to pay for uniforms, they pay the wholesale cost.

Not necessarily in this case, but you are aware that just because one player in the field is/isn't wearing a CoolBase doesn't necessarily mean that the whole team is. There are players on some teams that only wear double-knit jerseys even as their teammates wear the CB jerseys.

Yeah, that was me. Each team gets two full sets of 45 jerseys in each color the team wears, with a few exceptions. There's a cap of eight sets, so teams that have five or six jerseys aren't getting two sets of each.

If a team chooses to auction a set off for charity in a "shirts off our backs" promotion, MLB picks up the cost. Majestic provides the one-off throwbacks and Jackie Robinson Day 42 jerseys at no cost. In addition, teams that qualify for the playoffs can request an additional set at no charge.

On the rare occasions that the teams have to pay for uniforms, they pay the wholesale cost.

That is true about non-uniformity. Pujols wears doubleknits when most of the Cards wear COOLBASE. But as I said before, Alyson Footer has said on more than one occasion that the Astros don't have the greys in COOLBASE, just the brick roads.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived