US Soccer Crest Tweak

lost_limey

I was looking at different elements as I was thinking about doing a US Soccer concept (I may still do that, not sure) and as I studied the US crest, I was becoming annoyed that it featured blue stripes and stars on a red field whereas the US flag has those reversed (Red stripes and stars on a blue field for those of you unfamiliar with the US flag) So I recolored it to fix those elements. Here's the recolor

US_Soccer_logo.png

If I do continue the concept to a full kit, I'll likely modify this further to 13 stripes, and probably 11 stars for the players on the field.

That actually looks much better. Some of the stripes are bleeding into the outline, but it still looks pretty good.

EDIT: The gold stars are a nice touch as well. Makes the gold outline seem like it actually fits.

I think you should put the original next to it so people can see properly just how much of an improvement this is, the current US logo is getting a bit tired, that's for sure.

I honestly don't think there's enough of a difference between the current logo and this minor tweaking of it that it needs the original there for reference.

I think solid white stars might look better, but I wanted to tie the gold from teh outline in so that it didn't look like an afterthought.

There's always the option of removing gold altogether. Three outlines and 4 colors is overkill anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought for international soccer purposes using gold stars or gold on your kit meant you won the World Cup.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

g4403.pngg4267.png

A quick side-by-side of the Current US soccer logo (on left) with my tweaked version (on right)

Quick Summary of tweaks:

* Re-colored stripes and field base for stars

* Changed stripes to 7 red, 6 white, just like us flag

* Changed to solid white stars

* Dropped gold outline (and gold altogether)

* Changed from 3 to 11 stars, representing the 11 players on the pitch (The slightly larger star represents the captain...)

Even better than the original one you posted. The removal of gold was an excellent decision, the thirteen red and white stripes looks much better than the old blue and white. The blue field with eleven white stars is also much better than the old style. Like I said earlier, two outlines is more than enough, and I'm glad you went in that direction. I also like that it's not a complete rebrand, but rather fixing and improving on the original. Good job overall.

red stripes, one colored stars and less busy frame are a very big improvement. Excellent.

I'm very surprised how much more pleasing on the eye it with 1 color (gold)and an extra frame less.

Btw is there a reason why the original USSF crest features 3 stars?

Well, as seemingly every other user has done, I threw together a US kit concept. This is so I had something to stick my revised crest on...

USSoccer.png

I don't know if you can tell or not, but the red sash on the jersey has the snake with soccer ball logo from the DTOM crt sublimated in it a whole buttload of times.

Oh, and for those unfamiliar with US soccer, the white jersey set is the primary, and the obsidian jersey is the clash.

This is one of the best USMNT concepts I've seen. I like the sash design, and the balance of colors is excellent. Goes perfectly with the new crest. I don't know about the crest on the socks, though; seems like it's pushing it.

As for the commenter above me, I'm not sure if you're joking. First of all, our national coat of arms is ugly; too busy, no use of negative space, gradients, too many random colors, bad font; second, it's not at all suited to be the crest for our national soccer team.

Great work here, lost_limey.

scotland_fifasig.png

This is one of the best USMNT concepts I've seen. I like the sash design, and the balance of colors is excellent. Goes perfectly with the new crest. I don't know about the crest on the socks, though; seems like it's pushing it.

Firstly, thanks for the high praise.

Secondly, for whatever reason, on just about all my concepts, the socks have been (perhaps appropriately) my Achilles heel. Initially they didn't have the crest on them, just the nike logo and the striping (which was wider) but it didn't say US too me. I wonder if just taking the US+soccer ball from the crest would work better.

As logocruncher said, the US Coat of arms is a little too complictaed to be a US soccer crest, but I could see it being simplified down, whilst keeping the basic shapes of the Eagle, Arrows and Olive branches, and perhaps using the current US soccer shield.

Love the updated crest. I must say though that I'm not a fan of the 11 stars, nor of the one star being larger than the others. I'd like to see either 11 stars all the same size or just 3 stars all the same size.

Archived