Orlando Magic Court Concept

cmsg12

Being that the Magic are moving to a new arena in the fall, I figured why not do a concept on the court since the uniforms are pretty much not going to change (aside from the possible addition of a black alternate). Granted, I'm nothing close to a professional graphic designer, but just someone who loves the aesthetic part of the game. So, with the help of some already existing templates I've found on the net, here is what I came up with...

orlandomagiccourtconcept6-1.jpg

I know the font on the baselines is not what the Magic use in real-life, but with the software I have I figured it was the best option. And I am also missing some court marks and sponsor logos. However, it is only the start of a basic idea that I had. A mix of the Magic Courts from the 1990's and the 2000's, with a little new flavor for the 2010's. Done entirely in Paintbrush and Gimp for Mac...LOL...anyway, I would love to get some feedback. Thanks for looking!

the children are the future!

I'm not a basketball fan, but the "key" section of the court is too glaring with the black and blue. Perhaps use some more of the gray tones off the Magic logo at halfcourt? Right now the black is just overbearing.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Yeah... the key is too busy. I would expect to see the basketball logo get an update soon, too. I hate that logo, looks like a 2nd grader drew it.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Yeah, just make the lane black with electric blue along the sides.

Not sure about that streaking ball as a standalone center-court logo. You might need to do a ring device like the Pacers do and Supersonics did, with "Orlando Magic" in a black (silver/blue/black trim?) circle around that streaking ball, or better yet, an altogether new logo. Maybe just the ball without the streak, and the full streaking ball inside each arc.

Not sure about single-layer Bank Gothic on the baselines. Try something closer to the jersey scripts, or at least outline your Bank Gothic in electric blue. Any consideration for blue sidelines?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the NBA has rules against having corporate logos on the court. So you will need to simplify the Amway Center logo, probably lose the underline. I'm not sure how strict the rules actually are, but that might be something to look into.

I think the NBA has rules against having corporate logos on the court. So you will need to simplify the Amway Center logo, probably lose the underline. I'm not sure how strict the rules actually are, but that might be something to look into.

I'm not sure.. I think the Staples logo at Staples Center is the corporate logo, no?

I'm not sure.. I think the Staples logo at Staples Center is the corporate logo, no?

well some such as the Wachovia, Toyota, Target centers use the wordmark sans logos. Here's a comparison of the staples logo and the workmark they have on the floor:

staples_logo.png

lfy8pvaviu5wchg9kydof8mvb.gif

you can see they took off the "staple" serif on the L...like I said I could be wrong, and it might not be a rule, but I think it is...

Yeah... the key is too busy. I would expect to see the basketball logo get an update soon, too. I hate that logo, looks like a 2nd grader drew it.

Well it was just updated in 2000 so I don't think they're going to update it anytime soon. After all, the new primary logo contains it.

Not to mention it's a great logo (and I hate the Magic).

6fQjS3M.png

you can see they took off the "staple" serif on the L...like I said I could be wrong, and it might not be a rule, but I think it is...

actually the staple looking L is present on the Lakers court so I assume the Clippers court would be the same although I dont recall. So I dont see why the NBA wouldnt allow corporations who pay millions of dollars for arena naming rights not use their logo or some variation of the font on the court.

as far as the court design. i feel this alternative logo doesnt work so well on center court since it is so heavy to the right. the current magic court is one of my favorite.

im also not a fan of the arched MAGIC word by the .COM. i think it should be straight across but thats just me. i think the colors on the paint area are too segregated but people's taste in what makes a good court seem to vary drastically from one person to the other so some might like it

well some such as the Wachovia, Toyota, Target centers use the wordmark sans logos. Here's a comparison of the staples logo and the workmark they have on the floor:

staples_logo.png

lfy8pvaviu5wchg9kydof8mvb.gif

The staple serif is there on the Lakers court right now, so I doubt that's a rule.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

I am fairly certain that at one time it was a rule, though obviously it was changed at some point.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived