When did the Rays start wearing these stirrups?

Dexter Morgan

UniWatch mentioned this earlier in the week. Opinions seem very positive, although since the light blue and white blend in from a distance, these colors may be more suited to the Red Sox and Orioles old stirrup striping patters.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Joe Maddon was a huge Cardinals and St. Louis in general fan growing up (father bought him a Cardinals cap and took him to St. Louis for a game or something--can't recall the whole story), so it wouldn't surprise me if that somehow was the influence for using that pattern. Or maybe not. You can only put stripes on socks in so many ways.

It's interesting, though, that whenever I look at the Cardinals socks, I usually see it as a big patch of white on the red and then within that white I see three separated stripes--navy, red, and navy.

However, when I look at the Rays socks, I see it the other way around. I see the navy background and then I see two sets of triple stripes--white/powder blue/white and repeat.

It's interesting, though, that whenever I look at the Cardinals socks, I usually see it as a big patch of white on the red and then within that white I see three separated stripes--navy, red, and navy.

However, when I look at the Rays socks, I see it the other way around. I see the navy background and then I see two sets of triple stripes--white/powder blue/white and repeat.

It's because the white and light-blue stripes on the Rays are thicker (or at least appear to be in most of the pictures) than the navy stripe in the middle, so they look like two thick white stripes each containing a light blue stripe on top of the navy base.

With the Cardinals, I too see one large white stripe containing three thinner stripes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not liking the striped socks. I feel like you need a very plain and old school looking uniform to pull them off.

The Rays just seem wayy too progressive to be wearing these with their current set. Id be like if the Bengals wore old school striped socks with their streamlined uniforms.

A bunch of awkwardness in my book.

Considering how the Rays have been prone to do everything as a whole (what with the team photos before every road trip), I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the clubhouse thought it'd be cool to wear striped socks, and now everybody's doing it to show unity.

Aesthetics-wise, I think it looks good. I'm not necessarily a fan of stirrups, but I definitely appreciate when players make socks a part of a baseball uniform.

With the Cardinals, I too see one large white stripe containing three thinner stripes.

Thirded. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived