Illinois Protesters End Stand-off

artvandelay

Associated Press

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Officials at University of Illinois say they've reached an agreement with a group of protesters that ends a 32-hour sit-in at the school's main administration building.

The group of roughly 40 protesters are opposed to the school's Chief Illiniwek mascot and its associated Indian-head symbol. They began the sit-in yesterday morning. The school says it will arrange a meeting between members of the Multicultural Coalition Against the Chief and Illinois legislators. The meeting will likely be held in Springfield on April 27th.

Coalition spokesman Lian Alan says the protesters reached a separate agreement over the telephone with university trustee Frances Carroll of Chicago. He says Carroll agreed today to call for a vote on the elimination of the mascot at the board's June meeting.

Carroll could not be reached for comment.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

Again I don't like how this is going down. If this goes through and the Illini have to change nickname and mascot, this will open Pandora's box. I understand why the Native Americans have problems with some teams (ex: Cleveland Indians and Redskins), but i don't see the problem with this one. My problem is where do you draw the line. Are Friars going to be upset about the Providence logo, same thing goes for the San Diego Padres "Swinging Friar". Those are "Religious", much like the Native Americans say these images are. There is a fine line between Political Correctness and Racism, i guess it depends which side you are on. I just hope this doesn't degrade itself down to the point in which we have the Kansas State Undomesticated Felines. God knows PETA probably has a problem with Animal mascot names.

I dont mind too much them changing... what I hate is the precidence this sets. "hey, we get a group of folks, and go sit in, we can get Univ Michigan to change their mascot to the Fighting Joels"

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I dont mind too much them changing... what I hate is the precidence this sets. "hey, we get a group of folks, and go sit in, we can get Univ Michigan to change their mascot to the Fighting Joels"

that's the best idea yet!

put this on their helmet:

monkeyass.jpg

that's the best idea yet!

put this on their helmet:

monkeyass.jpg

I was expecting your response to be "I'm a lover, not a fighter".

Man, that mugshot kills me... nothing says "fiasco" like that!

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

fightingmonkeyasses.gif

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

when Miami of Ohio changed there name from redskins to redhawks, the miami indians, the actual indians were offended by the switch, they liked being honored in such a way and didn't find the name derogatory at all. the group that did it was a bunch of white housewives who decided that the name was offensive and outdated. The president who allowed it was run out of the town. In today's politically correct world nothing is right. It's not like they are the red illini or the crazy illini. They are named after a group of strong native americans. And another thing why did marquette have to change from warriors, a warrior could mean anything.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

I must say, as an Irish-American youth, I have struggled my entire life through taunts from my schoolmates as being a "Fighting Irish" because of the University of Notre Dame's offensive nickname. People make a generalization based on Notre Dame's logo and nickname that all Irish people are drunk, bearded brawlers looking only for a beer and a fight. I hope that this potential name change at Illinois will pave the way for all offensive nicknames to be removed from University athletic departments. I think this is a great move by the Illinois University directors and sets a fantastic precedent where future students may compete athletically without being offended by an outdated, racist nickname.

...pauses to let the sarcasm set in...

Hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha screw thos goddamn hippies and their pathetic sit-ins. I love the names. Especially the Irish.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

That Cheif Head logo of Illinois is probrally the best one out there, even better than the 'Skins. That should be on a helmet, and they want to eliminate not only the logo but the name "Illini" as well? The FUXKING STATE IS NAMED AFTER THE TRIBE, P.C. :censored:S!!!

ugh... before i pop a gasket, i'm gonna lay down and let everyone else argue this for the time being...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I am proud to agree with JQK and Shmee.

I think it is lame, they are changing their name.

I'd support with glee, a team named after me.

People have more to worry about, like crime, drugs... and the gout.

ΓΔΒ!

As someone already said, the STATE is named after the Illini, for god's sake! What is offensive about Illini as the nickname for the university? It honors the tribe. And that beautiful Illini chief-head logo honors them as well, and should be the primary logo on the football helmet.

I'm an Illini and a Chief supporter by blood (not true Native American to my knowledge).

To the soon to be former chancellor I say "Good riddance!" She says she's neutral I think, but is clearly against him. She set up meetings for protestors with the state legislature.

If they get rid of this...well...I dunno...I'm having terrible luck lately...

To the soon to be former chancellor I say "Good riddance!" She says she's neutral I think, but is clearly against him. She set up meetings for protestors with the state legislature.

I'm looking forward to her coming here and I guess it's a testament to her that the biggest controversy she was involved in was over something silly like the mascot and team name (a problem she won't have to deal with here, unless citrus fruits begin demanding fair representation :D).

I read that article 5 times and nowhere did I see them mention dropping the Illini name... just the logo. Relax.

Personally, I have no problem with names like Illini, Indians, Braves, etc. But caricatures and mascots are unneccessary. Remember, being completely insensitive is just as corny as being overly sensitive.

As far as Marquette... they could've just as easily kept the Warriors name and changed their mascot to an ancient Greek. But I'm glad they didn't because: a. it shows how much they lack common sense (which can also be used to explain why they don't have football in a major league market), and b. to this day, their alumni are pissed off about it.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

The thing is, the Illini is the WORST example that the Native Americans could have gone after. They are named after the state they are in, which is named aftera real tribe. Their mascot is a literal, dignified representation of an Illini chief.

I would hate it, but still almost understand if they were protesting in Cleveland to get Wahoo banned, or in Washington to get the Redskins to change. But the Illinios thing? Horrible decision. I guess they just knew the head of the school was open to influencing.

ΓΔΒ!

Archived