Favorite Football Uniforms

Dogeshak

It's interesting to chart the evolution of this era's designs. They started off in '66 with red-white-blue-white-red striping on the pants and helmets, and Packer-like sleeve striping. In '68 they changed the sleeve stripes and went to red-blue-red striping on the helmets and pants. Then for some reason '69 or so they changed the pants back to the '66-67 red-white-blue-white-red stripes while leaving the helmets red-blue-red. Then at some point, I believe, they again matched the helmet and pants striping.

Regardless of the iteration, though, I always loved the combination of red, light blue and silver...

It is interesting because from 1966-1970 there was something different each year. Frankly, I still don't have a complete grip on exactly what the Oilers' sleeve stripe patterns were in 1966 and 67.

Note the Ohio State helmet striping in my second pic; if the Oilers had gone with that, those sliver blue, white and red togs would be just perfect.

I totally agree about the Ohio State unis themselves (especially with the socks that matched the jersey!) and your comment about the Oilers matching the helmet striping. Or you could just imagine a silver shell with the striping of their later white helmets to get the same effect.

I'm pretty sure these were the Oilers's sleeve stripes for 1966-67:

1966_Oilers-Patriots-2.jpgBlandaGeorge20.jpgSport1967nov.jpg1966_Broncos-Oilers2.jpg1967_Broncos-Oilers4.jpg1967_Broncos-Oilers1.jpg

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically, your "1970s Redskins" was worn in the 1960s. 1965-'69. ;)

Technically, that jersey, with the arrowhead on the sleeve, was never worn until the 70th anniversary season. ;) ;)

Bill813.png

The problem I have with the 1967-71 silver helmet and Pants Oilers look is that it seems to me like they were trying to imitate the Cowboys.

But they weren't.

The metallic look was part of a small mid-1960s trend but, for the Oilers, it was the idea of new GM Don Klosterman to give Houston more of a "space-age look" that reflected Houston's status as home to NASA and to change up uniforms that had been altered slightly here and there over the course of the team's six-year history.

FsQiF2W.png

Unfortunately, that's the best-quality image available of the Tampa Bay Storm's kickass Zubaz uniforms.

I feel like this video is a glimpse into Lights Out's psyche.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived