Jay Mariotti: Around the Horn at the Jailhouse

Mac the Knife

Gotta love the ESPN sensationalist spin. If an athlete were to do what Mariotti did, it would be front page news for a week straight. But since it's ESPN talent doing it, the story gets relegated to the last line of the small "Headlines" box on the left side of the homepage where it can easily be ignored.

To be fair, ESPN didn't exactly jump all over the Matt Barnes domestic assault story. And we all know how easy it is to pounce on an NBA player behaving badly.

Maybe this is something of a more measured "just the facts, ma'am" way of doing things instead of rushing to judgement like we usually would have seen. Honestly, I'd rather have ESPN being criticized for relegating all of these types of things to the headlines box. If a dude goes to trial and is convicted or pleads out or what not, then sensationalize away. Until then, it's best to just chill. What's the hurry?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Gotta love the ESPN sensationalist spin. If an athlete were to do what Mariotti did, it would be front page news for a week straight. But since it's ESPN talent doing it, the story gets relegated to the last line of the small "Headlines" box on the left side of the homepage where it can easily be ignored.

Like when baseball's Harold Reynolds was in deep :censored: a few years back, it was all over FOX and other sports outlets, but ESPN was mum about it until making one public statement once it was all done and settled.

6uXNWAo.png

Like when baseball's Harold Reynolds was in deep :censored: a few years back, it was all over FOX and other sports outlets, but ESPN was mum about it until making one public statement once it was all done and settled.

I'm not defending ESPN, but I've started looking at this in a different way. I still don't like how they absolutely bury these stories, per se. However, don't you think as an employer, mum SHOULD be word on employee transgressions until it's all said and done, especially if you're going to can the mother:censored:er? ESPN is a corporation and I don't think corporations should be running their mouths about the activities of their employees until there is something definitive to say.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

So am I the only person in this thread who wouldn't recognize Jay Mariotti if he sat down next to him and started domestically assaulting him?

Based on the mug shot, I'd say just look for your standard douchebag, then add 10 years.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• 3 years later...

In case you guys were wondering (and I know you are!), Jay Mariotti has resurfaced.

I can't remember if I was in Orlando or Tampa at the time, but he's got a midday sports talk show. I was flipping channels (taking a rare break from XM) and stumbled across his show.....

So I was in a class with Jay Mariotti's daughter my final semester. :P

(she actually was kinda quiet. Rob Reiner's son was also in that class but I already had a few with him as well as working at the student TV station and he's a pretty nice guy but I digress)

/end elitist Newhouse brag

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

So I was in a class with Jay Mariotti's daughter my final semester. :P

(she actually was kinda quiet. Rob Reiner's son was also in that class but I already had a few with him as well as working at the student TV station and he's a pretty nice guy but I digress)

/end elitist Newhouse brag

I got to hang out with Flava Flav at a private party in Vegas, once.

Like Mariotti, he was kind of an ass, too.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived