Top 5 Point Guards in the NBA

jimbojohnny56

After Rondo withdrew or was cut depending on what sources you believe alot of debate has gone on as to who was the best PG on Team USA or who was the right fit for the International Game. Obviously Rose's skills make him a beter fit than Rondo but I'm not sure how I see Westbrook being a better fit than Rondo as Westbrook is also a poor shooter. So with all that being said everybody give me your top 5 PG's in the NBA today. Here are mine....

1. Chris Paul- when healthy I don't even think it's close

2. Deron Williams - Great size makes it difficult for other PG's to guard him

3. Derrick Rose- Is improving his shooting and if that keeps up he is unguardable

4. Steve Nash- Still one of the best PG's in the game with a true pass first menatlity

5. Rajon Rondo- While not your convential PG beacause he will make the untimely turnover now and again and does'nt shoot great but runs the team well with a great overall floor game as well as unbelieveable athletic ability and a knack for rebounding as a small.

Obviously being a Celtic fan I like Rondo but am willing to concede as some Celtics fans won't that he is not the best PG in the game and has a long way to go before he is however I just can't see how they took Westbrook over him. My only guess is that it was the size factor as Westbrook has the ability to play the 2 and Rondo does'nt.

1. Steve Nash - still a beast, and he's just getting better as he gets older. He's the player that all young PG's should be emulating.

2. Deron Williams - underrated, tough to guard, but can he step up to lead the Jazz now that Boozer's gone?

3. Chris Paul - the best all-around point guard in the NBA, but he's getting bumped down a few spots for wanting to advance the devolution of the NBA into a glorified non-competitive rec league with his "Big 3 in New York" idea.

4. Baron Davis - statistics show that he generated the best assists out of anybody in the league last year. He shows flashes of absolute brilliance when he's motivated, but disastrous stretches of the injury bug and bad coaching over the past two years has worn him down a bit. Can Vinny Del Negro and the presence of Blake Griffin keep him happy and motivated in LA?

5. Derrick Rose - one of the best young point guards in the game today, especially now that he's better at shooting.

Rondo's turnovers, poor shooting, and inability to hit a clutch free throw keep him out of the top 5.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1. Steve Nash - still a beast, and he's just getting better as he gets older. He's the player that all young PG's should be emulating.

2. Deron Williams - underrated, tough to guard, but can he step up to lead the Jazz now that Boozer's gone?

3. Chris Paul - the best all-around point guard in the NBA, but he's getting bumped down a few spots for wanting to advance the devolution of the NBA into a glorified non-competitive rec league with his "Big 3 in New York" idea.

4. Baron Davis - statistics show that he generated the best assists out of anybody in the league last year. He shows flashes of absolute brilliance when he's motivated, but disastrous stretches of the injury bug and bad coaching over the past two years has worn him down a bit. Can Vinny Del Negro and the presence of Blake Griffin keep him happy and motivated in LA?

5. Derrick Rose - one of the best young point guards in the game today, especially now that he's better at shooting.

Rondo's turnovers, poor shooting, and inability to hit a clutch free throw keep him out of the top 5.

There you go guzzling that Clipper Kool-Aid again. Baron Davis may have been a top 5 PG at one point at his career, but it certainly ain't at this point in his career. Injuries? Bad coaching? You're really reaching. Actually, it's not reaching for you, considering you really believed LeBron's best chance to win now was with the Clippers.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Top 5 PG's in the NBA(imo) based on last years stats...

1. Chris Paul...18.7ppg 10.7apg 4.2rpg 2.1spg 2.5(turnovers per game)

2. Deron Williams...18.7ppg 10.5apg 4.0rpg 1.3spg 3.3tov

3. Rajon Rondo...13.7ppg 9.8apg 4.4rpg 2.3spg 3.0tov

4. Steve Nash...16.5ppg 11.0apg 3.3rpg 0.5spg 3.6tov

5. Derrick Rose...20.8ppg 6.0apg 3.8rpg 0.7spg 2.8tov

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

How is the known fact that BD was playing on an injury-riddled team for the past two seasons "reaching"? And I hope you're not suggesting that Mike Dunleavy and Kim Hughes were good coaches.

I'm suggesting that it's a lame ass excuse.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Baron Davis? Really? Okay. It's your top 5 not mine or anybody else's in the entire planet. You ever heard of Jason Kidd,Tyreke Evans and Chauncey Billups. That would put him 9 at best.Don't forget Stephen Curry and Russell Westbrook who I would put slightly above him that puts Davis out of the top 10 and you have him in the top 5. Dude how's his snausage taste? Sorry I forgot half of this board are polesmokers anyways.

Steve Nash shouldn't crack anybody's top five. Ya'll forget that playing defense makes up half of the game? He's a screen door on that end of the floor -- one of the worst in the league. Sorry, you can't be awful at half of what you're supposed to do and be considered an elite player in my book.

IUe6Hvh.png

Baron Davis? Really? Okay. It's your top 5 not mine or anybody else's in the entire planet. You ever heard of Jason Kidd,Tyreke Evans and Chauncey Billups. That would put him 9 at best.Don't forget Stephen Curry and Russell Westbrook who I would put slightly above him that puts Davis out of the top 10 and you have him in the top 5. Dude how's his snausage taste? Sorry I forgot half of this board are polesmokers anyways.

Tyreke Evans and Chauncey Billups had fewer assists per game than Baron Davis last year. Tyreke had more turnovers per game than Baron. It's true that Evans and Billups were in the top 10 in scoring among guards last season and Baron was 25th, but the Clippers' primary scoring threat last year was Chris Kaman (third in scoring among centers, twenty-fifth in scoring overall) anyway. Jason Kidd had more assists than Baron Davis but far fewer points per game. So Baron currently has a leg up on at least one of those three in three major guard-related categories.

Stephen Curry and Russell Westbrook are good but I still think they have more to prove before they can start unseating veterans in my Top 5. Neither of them have led a team to a playoff series win yet, but Baron Davis has (sweeping the Heat and beating Orlando 3-1 with the Hornets, upsetting the Mavericks with the Warriors). Tyreke Evans also hasn't experienced playoff success yet, or playoffs at all for that matter, and neither has Curry. Russell Westbrook is the only one out of that three who have even sniffed the playoffs.

"Polesmokers"? Grow up. :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

nobody asked, but here's how I rank em anyway:

1- CP3

2- Rondo

3- Kidd

4- Nash

5- D-Will

why I'm not anointing Prince Derrick like a boatload of other people: honestly, his style of play doesn't impress me all that much. He's sorta like your average Raiders wideout, mostly speed. He's borderline top 10 at best right now IMO. Those who listed him might as well throw Mo Williams or Rodney Suckey in their top 5. And if you're about to call me a homer, notice I don't think Jennings is quite there yet either, though I feel his court vision is sufficiently superior to Rose's that he's closer to top 5 status. Tyreke? Please.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

nobody asked, but here's how I rank em anyway:

1- CP3

2- Rondo

3- Kidd

4- Nash

5- D-Will

why I'm not anointing Prince Derrick like a boatload of other people: honestly, his style of play doesn't impress me all that much. He's sorta like your average Raiders wideout, mostly speed. He's borderline top 10 at best right now IMO. Those who listed him might as well throw Mo Williams or Rodney Suckey in their top 5. And if you're about to call me a homer, notice I don't think Jennings is quite there yet either, though I feel his court vision is sufficiently superior to Rose's that he's closer to top 5 status. Tyreke? Please.

Honestly, I can see where you are coming from. At this point, he has relied on his speed and athleticism, which btw is f-ing unstoppable. However, Rose is literally getting better every minute. I guarantee your list looks different when he starts knocking down threes. Also, i saw him play in high school against my school twice. He hasn't even begun to show his passing ability. Though this was back in HS, he would walk up the court and chuck a perfect pass off a dribble behind the back without even blinking. I honestly am trying really hard to not be a homer right now, but Derrick Rose will ABSOLUTELY be on the top 5 best players in the NBA within 3 or 4 years.

Oh, my list:

1-CP3

2-Deron

3-Steve Nash (as long as he is playing, he is on the list)

4-D-Rose

5-Rondo

6-Tyreke the freak

7-Kidd

8-Russell Westbrook

9-Chauncey

10-Devin Harris

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I honestly am trying really hard to not be a homer right now, but Derrick Rose will ABSOLUTELY be on the top 5 best players in the NBA within 3 or 4 years.

Yep, only coming in behind Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, Al-Farouq Aminu, and DeAndre Jordan.

/Still chugging that Clipper Kool-Aid. :P

I don't think you even need to chug it anymore. I think you've got an intravenous drip of that :censored: going! :P

I honestly am trying really hard to not be a homer right now, but Derrick Rose will ABSOLUTELY be on the top 5 best players in the NBA within 3 or 4 years.

Yep, only coming in behind Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, Al-Farouq Aminu, and DeAndre Jordan.

I don't think you even need to chug it anymore. I think you've got an intravenous drip of that :censored: going! :P

Yup, pretty much...a tube of Clipper Kool-Aid stuck in one arm and a tube of Bronco blue kool-aid stuck in the other arm.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I know youre kidding and all, but I do actually think that about Rose.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

My top 5 in no particular order...Nash, Paul, Kidd, Rondo, D. Williams

Honorable Mention: Rose, Billups,

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived