NHL 2013

Injection

In this thread I will be designing future uniform changes for NHL teams and their AHL affiliate.

#1: Washington Capitals and Hershey Bears

The Capitals wore their very popular Winter Classic jersey against the Pittsburgh Penguins on January 1st, 2011. The design was their debut look from 1974, using the white home jersey. Striping was altered, and some shoulder stars were not used due to Reebok's Edge cut. Jersey sales for the retro design were the highest out of any of the Cap's three jerseys. Because of popularity, the Capitals decided to don the jersey as a third for 2011/2012, and began plans to make the design become full time. In the offseason of 2012, Washington unveiled the new home jersey on draft day, and at a summer event unveiled a new third jersey for the 2012/2013 season. The new third gave a nod to the modern template that the Capitals used since 2007. Instead of red, it was navy and sported the "Weagle" secondary logo as the crest.

Washington-2.png

Their AHL affiliate, the Hershey Bears, had recently changed jerseys in 2009, as an answer to unhappy fans who wanted a change. The organization found themselves in a similar situation in 2011, when fans again began to speak out against the logo, which they felt was too cartoony for a team with such a great history as the Hershey Bears. Rumor has it, that GM Doug Yingst designed the new logo himself. The new logo was of a bear head growling, or "yawning" as many critics joked. The logo was thrown on a chocolate brown jersey using the Capitals modern striping template. In 2012, the Bears unveiled a new third jersey, using the classic white shoulder yoke jersey from 2010, and a retro logo of a bear skating with a stick (used from the 1977-2000 seasons). The third added to an already laughable logo set going into the 2013 season.

Hershey-1.png

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should be consistent with your colors. You use 2 different reds and 2 different blues. Also your red jersey is missing sleeve numbers. On all the Hershey jerseys there needs to be sleeve or shoulder numbers. On the 3rd, unless it is my eyes, there appears to be a silver stripe on the left sleeve that is not on the others. I am not a fan of black with the brown.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

You should be consistent with your colors. You use 2 different reds and 2 different blues. Also your red jersey is missing sleeve numbers. On all the Hershey jerseys there needs to be sleeve or shoulder numbers. On the 3rd, unless it is my eyes, there appears to be a silver stripe on the left sleeve that is not on the others. I am not a fan of black with the brown.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

It's hard to tell, but the blue on the Home and Away are actually the same shade. The grey stripe on the Hershey jersey is actually stitching, I removed so there is no confusion. I fixed the shade of red, picture is updated in the first post.

your white Caps jersey is still missing numbers on the back view. Also the vintage Caps jerseys had stars running down the sleeves. I also don't think the blue collar insert keeps the vintage feel on the red Caps. It makes it stand out too much.

your white Caps jersey is still missing numbers on the back view. Also the vintage Caps jerseys had stars running down the sleeves. I also don't think the blue collar insert keeps the vintage feel on the red Caps. It makes it stand out too much.

I don't think Reebok would allow the stars on the sleeves, that's why I left it out (I included this in the description). I agree, the collar insert should be red.

#2 Vancouver Canucks and Manitoba Moose

The Canucks celebrated their 2011 40th anniversary by unveiling a white version of their third at the time, with the stick in the rink logo. Goaltender Roberto Luongo gave up his captaincy to concentrate more on his play. Ryan Kesler was honoured with the captaincy instead. The indication from retailers was that the Canucks were going to use the new specialty jersey full time. They were partly right. On September 10th, one week before their first preseason game, the Canucks unveiled three new jerseys. The home and away jerseys did indeed include the modernized version of the stick-in-the-rink logo from the 1970s, but the striping had changed. The cuffs and bottom hem were now all white on the home jersey, while the away jersey no longer had the "V" in the striping. The third jersey was rumored all summer to be a green version of the home jersey the season before, but Canucks management made a last-second decision and with the help of Reebok, unveiled a Vancouver Millionaires jersey as the third. The reason why? 2011 was the 100th anniversary of the Millionaires. All three jerseys were popular, and remained through 2013. Rumors have been circulating, however, that Vancouver is willing to use the Millionaires name and logo full time.

Vancouver.png

The Moose kept their already awesome Home and Away jerseys, but added a patch in support to Ice Edge's bid in returning the Winnipeg Jets to the NHL in 2012. Ice Edge had already dropped out of the race for the Pheonix Coyotes, which remained, and lost out on the Atlanta Thrashers, who moved to Quebec in 2011. The new patch read "BRING THEM BACK". On February 1st, 2012, the Moose wore RBK-cut Winnipeg Jets jerseys infront of a sold out crowd against the Conneticut Whalers, who wore Hartford Whalers jerseys. The jerseys were so popular that the Moose made it a full time third jersey.

Manitoba.png

BringBackthejets.png

While I'd admire the Moose concept, it SO wouldn't fly (no pun intended) with the Coyotes organization.

I think either the City of Winnipeg or the NHL owns the rights to the name and logo of the Jets, and the Coyotes have none.

Phoenix Coyotes and the NHL own the rights to any likeness to the Winnipeg Jets

While I'd admire the Moose concept, it SO wouldn't fly (no pun intended) with the Coyotes organization.

I think either the City of Winnipeg or the NHL owns the rights to the name and logo of the Jets, and the Coyotes have none.

Phoenix Coyotes own the rights to any likeness to the Winnipeg Jets

OK, I got them confused with Hartford. Back to the drawing board.

Phoenix Coyotes and the NHL own the rights to any likeness to the Winnipeg Jets

They'll be back in Winnipeg by 2013 anyways.

Archived