Fixing This Years Pro Combats

dmhtfld

1. Boise State

The main problem with the original was that is wasn't symmetrical enough. I made the sleeves match, changed the wordmark to blue, I put the bronco head on both sides of the pants and helmet, and finally i got rid of the script running down the right leg

4994102622_cdc2216ed5_b.jpg

1. Boise State

The main problem with the original was that is wasn't symmetrical enough. I made the sleeves match, changed the wordmark to blue, I put the bronco head on both sides of the pants and helmet, and finally i got rid of the script running down the right leg

Wait, I thought that was the point, the whole asymmetrical thing. What you did looks fine, but all you did was just scale it back a bit. If that's what you're going for- turning their school-specific and unique designs into more traditional jerseys, than you have accomplished that and I can respect that.

But if you're trying to stay true to the ProCombat style, than you need to build off of some sort of "inspiration." While you may be able to scale back the others while remaining true to their respective inspirations, you completely lost it on this one.

First of all nice job, i liked their uniforms last night, and you made it look sharper

second, this has been bothering me, i have been looking for the broncos font and cant find it does anyone have it avalible for download or know what it is called- Thanks

First of all nice job, i liked their uniforms last night, and you made it look sharper

second, this has been bothering me, i have been looking for the broncos font and cant find it does anyone have it avalible for download or know what it is called- Thanks

It's one of the Apple system fonts. It's called Chicago, I think.

As for the concept, I think the things you did made the uniform look better for sure, but one thing that bothers me about many Pro Combat sets: when the 'sleeve' is really just a half-circle of fabric inlaid into the shoulder area, it really ceases to even look like colored sleeves at this point when you color them. Maybe coloring that whole yoke area might work better as a design element.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

As for the concept, I think the things you did made the uniform look better for sure, but one thing that bothers me about many Pro Combat sets: when the 'sleeve' is really just a half-circle of fabric inlaid into the shoulder area, it really ceases to even look like colored sleeves at this point when you color them. Maybe coloring that whole yoke area might work better as a design element.

Is this better? And to Cylclone, i used the padres font, some of the numbers match if italicized but around half of them dont.

4994103044_cd8a59c1bd_b.jpg

you do know that they gave boise an Asymmetrical design because of how unpredictable they are, right? that was the point. there is a lot of thought that goes behind these pro-combat unis. it isnt just to make a cool design, it is to represent the team, or the city/state the team is from, such as TCU's Blood stripes, or Pitts steel beam numbers. I like it better the way nike made it.

Picture21.png

you do know that they gave boise an Asymmetrical design because of how unpredictable they are, right? that was the point. there is a lot of thought that goes behind these pro-combat unis. it isnt just to make a cool design, it is to represent the team, or the city/state the team is from, such as TCU's Blood stripes, or Pitts steel beam numbers. I like it better the way nike made it.

I understand that but from a design standpoint it looks horrible, and lets be honest designing a uniform like that is just for looks and to get talked about, another uniform like that will probably never be worn again(atleast i hope so).

I think a blue stripe down the side would help unify the shoulders and pants. Otherwise I love this. The incorporation of the Bronco head looks great and is unique in terms of college uniform designs!

I think that the bronco head on the side of the shoulders and on the side of the pants unifies the jersey and pants together enough.

Is this better? And to Cylclone, i used the padres font, some of the numbers match if italicized but around half of them dont.

both of you thank you

2. Florida

Ok so the next team i choose was Florida. The first thing i had to change was the hideous and random sleeve design that nike had used. Next i wanted to change the way the numbers were colored. I flipped the blue and orange and i put gatorskin inside them. I decided to keep the helmet the way it was and slightly modify the pants.

4994093404_d1c07fd936_b.jpg

Way better than the junk Nike gave Florida. Only two things I would do (just my opinion though):

1) Add some white to the pants stripe to match with the sleeve stripes and to also give some contrast

2) Add the helmet stripes to the helmet again. I know Nike took them off, but it looks very plain.

Overall very good, and much much better than the real Florida pro combat.

Well, maybe that wasn't the best design element to represent unpredictability. Seems pretty predictable to me, given that Nike has already used the colored sleeve design on three other teams. I appreciate the thought and effort that goes into a program like this, but that doesn't automatically make every idea a good one.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2. Florida

Ok so the next team i choose was Florida. The first thing i had to change was the hideous and random sleeve design that nike had used. Next i wanted to change the way the numbers were colored. I flipped the blue and orange and i put gatorskin inside them. I decided to keep the helmet the way it was and slightly modify the pants.

4994093404_d1c07fd936_b.jpg

I actually don't like this. I for one LIKE what Nike did. The over-abundance of gator print, the improved pant stripe they used (vs. last year's set) and the addition of TV numbers made their uni the cream of the crop to me.

But to improve YOUR idea, I'd go back to blue numbers with orange outline. Add TV numbers. Maybe go with orange pants since they haven't wore that color in a while. And as aawagner011 suggested, add stripes to the helmet.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived