NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best looking games this week:

Giants - Colts (In the running for the best looking game this season.)

Chiefs - Browns

Patriots - Jets

Bears - Cowboys (Imagine how great this game would look if Dallas fixed all their problems.)

Honorable mention:

Dolphins - Vikings. (Minnesota looked great, mismatched purple and all. Miami loses points for those pants.)

Worst looking games this week:

Cardinals - Falcons (The perfect storm of ugly-ass uniforms.)

Ravens - Bengals

Jaguars - Chargers (Those San Diego uniforms look more ridiculous every time I see them.)

Honorable mention: Buffalo if for no other reason than to say yet again that those uniforms are beyond pathetic.

Other observations: The Redskins gold pants look is quickly becoming one of my favorite uniforms in all of football. Why do the Texans ruin such a great helmet with such boring jerseys and pants?

Just my opinion...

1.) I would be inclined to agree with you there, except...these are also the two teams that spearheaded the shrinkwrap jersey movement, and even as hard as I tried to ignore that element, I couldn't do it. I can't stand them. Especially when they make the stripes look more or less like strips of tape.

2.) Save for the Chefs' white socks, I definitely agree with that. Might have been better had they gone with either red socks with the white-on-white or red pants with the white socks. Either way, it'd still look great.

3.) Bears uniforms = about as close to classic perfection as the NFL can get, my own personal. I'm reminded each and every time I see them. Another thing I like...many of the Bears' jerseys are actually tailored to fit the three stripes--or most of them--onto the sleeve. (A close look at Jay Cutler's and Brian Urlacher's jerseys shows that they kinda "cheat" by putting that third stripe on the sleeve cuff. Hey--however it gets there, as long as it's there.)

4.) the Dolphins...at some point, they may wanna look at streamlining the striping on the pants and helmet (right now there's too many strips of color in there), but overall, I still rank them among the top echelon of AFC uniforms. (Partly because I like aqua, but still.) The Vikings' look I'm rather indifferent to.

5.) Absolutely, positively, without doubt...butt-nasty game of the week.

6.) Can someone please remind the Texans that their red socks DO still exist? And that those should be worn with those navy deep steel blue pants? (Wait 'til Bloodclot Battle Red Week though...I betcha they'll have 'em on then.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3.) Bears uniforms = about as close to classic perfection as the NFL can get, my own personal. I'm reminded each and every time I see them. Another thing I like...many of the Bears' jerseys are actually tailored to fit the three stripes--or most of them--onto the sleeve. (A close look at Jay Cutler's and Brian Urlacher's jerseys shows that they kinda "cheat" by putting that third stripe on the sleeve cuff. Hey--however it gets there, as long as it's there.)

I agree. The Bears do about as good a job as a team could with the current templates. One thing that always ticked me off about the Bears is how cheap and see-through their uniforms look. They use material with giant holes so you can see the players' pads under the jersey. They use the same material on the entire jersey, including single layer sleeves, which always looks terrible. It is interesting that the Bears and Steelers are are the only two teams who have never used the dazzle mesh on the sleeves and shoulders. I always wanted to Bears to switch to dazzle mesh or at least durene like the Steelers do. It is silly to see white pads clearly through the body and sleeves of the navy jerseys. The Bears should be able to find a way to make the jerseys look better.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Best looking games this week:

Giants - Colts (In the running for the best looking game this season.)

Chiefs - Browns

Patriots - Jets

Bears - Cowboys (Imagine how great this game would look if Dallas fixed all their problems.)

Honorable mention:

Dolphins - Vikings. (Minnesota looked great, mismatched purple and all. Miami loses points for those pants.)

Worst looking games this week:

Cardinals - Falcons (The perfect storm of ugly-ass uniforms.)

Ravens - Bengals

Jaguars - Chargers (Those San Diego uniforms look more ridiculous every time I see them.)

Honorable mention: Buffalo if for no other reason than to say yet again that those uniforms are beyond pathetic.

Other observations: The Redskins gold pants look is quickly becoming one of my favorite uniforms in all of football. Why do the Texans ruin such a great helmet with such boring jerseys and pants?

Just my opinion...

I'd switch it the other way around.

The Giants/Colts and Chiefs/Browns have some of the most plain and bland uniforms in the league. The Chargers uniforms are awesome and got style. The Cardinals road jersey looks good too. The Jaguars and Falcons aren't the best but they aren't the worst either.

Also, I cant remember the last time so many teams were wearing white at home. I know its always common early in the year, but ive almost forgotten that uniform protocol in the nfl usually calls for a color jersey for home games.

The previous 2 seasons had every bit as much home teams wearing white including the early parts of the year.

I don't know why, but I just don't see those as grey stripes in between the blue and red in the Giants' road pant. I simply see that as the grey pant showing through where no stripe exists.

Anyone else or am I off in Bizarro World on this?

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I don't know why, but I just don't see those as grey stripes in between the blue and red in the Giants' road pant. I simply see that as the grey pant showing through where no stripe exists.

Dude...we all signed into a freakin' sports logos community and have pissing matches back and forth over uniform details.

We're ALL off in Bizarro World. :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Here's a screen grab comparison shot between the big stripes/small stripes. Note the inconsistency extends to the sleeve stripes too. That's just ridiculous.

Fullscreencapture9212010104913AM.jpg

On another note, the Vikes' throwback sleeve stripes seemed thinner than I remember the originals being.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Same here. I see three stripes on a gray background. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the number of stripes. For example there are three stripes the Colts pants to me. Two blue and one white not two blue on a white background. Add the second (or third depending on how you see it) color and extra stripe like the Giants have and my perception changes.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm with you.

This discussion reminds me of the debate over letterboxing vs. pan-and-scan (4:3) aspect ratios in home theater.

I don't see "black bars" on the tops and bottom of the picture, I see a rectangular picture within a different shaped screen. It's all perspective.

Also, I cant remember the last time so many teams were wearing white at home. I know its always common early in the year, but ive almost forgotten that uniform protocol in the nfl usually calls for a color jersey for home games.

If anything, the trend towards wearing white at home has actually decreased since the 1980s, when it seems like 10-14 teams would do it on a weekly basis. Just in terms of teams wearing white for an entire season, here's a list:

Patriots 1985-86

Bills 1984

Jets 1985-89

Steelers 1969

Bengals 1970

Browns 1964-67, 1970-74, 1976-77, 1985-88, 1995 (wore brown jerseys vs. LA in 1968)

Titans/Oilers 1981-83, 1997-98

Colts 1964-65

Chiefs 1980

Chargers 1971, 1978-83

Broncos 1971

Redskins 1981-93, 1995-2000, 2004-07 (wore burgundy throwbacks vs. Atlanta in 1994)

Cowboys 1964-2000

Giants 1967, 1980

Eagles 1971, 1973, 1985-86, 1988, 1995

Vikings 1964

Buccaneers 1976, 1989-91, 1994, 1996

Falcons 1986, 1989

Saints 1967-68, 1971-74, 1981-82

Rams 1964-71, 1982, 1993

49ers 1976

Cardinals 1964-65, 1978, 1989

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

If anything, the trend towards wearing white at home has actually decreased since the 1980s, when it seems like 10-14 teams would do it on a weekly basis. Just in terms of teams wearing white for an entire season, here's a list:

Browns 1964-67, 1970-74, 1976-77, 1985-88, 1995 (wore brown jerseys vs. LA in 1968)

Don't know if you just meant regular season but the Browns wore their brown jerseys against Miami in the playoffs in 1985.

BB52Big.jpg

Same here. I see three stripes on a gray background. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the number of stripes. For example there are three stripes the Colts pants to me. Two blue and one white not two blue on a white background. Add the second (or third depending on how you see it) color and extra stripe like the Giants have and my perception changes.

That's what I see too, but word-wise, it's just semantics. It's easier to say "the gray stripes are..." than "the gray background between the other stripes is...".

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived