New York Cosmos unveil Umbro jerseys

Gothamite

The adidas deal with the mls was recently extended. I want to say until 2015, but I am not certain. The cosmos should be added in 2013 or 2014, so this jersey is basically useless. Those of you praising it's simplicity have to remember that a jersey is not only a practical representation of the team colors, but is also a billboard for the team's sponsor. Should, say, FedEx want to sponsor the Cosmos, the jersey is no longer simple.

Useless? The youth teams should wear t-shirts, I suppose?

Useless if they're going to come out and market this as THE Cosmos jersey, because it won't be.

Soccer.jpg?t=1301776720England.png?t=1301868161Germany-1.png?t=1301800713FCB.png?t=1303259982

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True. There are various levels. Currently all of these levels are youth teams. Expect the Cosmos to join the MLS in 2012, as in the season after next. If you expect this to be THE cosmos logo, then you need to assume that there will be a USL level squad by next season, which I doubt could happen. Instead you'll see another expansion draft type team built from the ground up when they join the MLS.

Soccer.jpg?t=1301776720England.png?t=1301868161Germany-1.png?t=1301800713FCB.png?t=1303259982

Doesn't NYC already have Red Bull in the MLS? This would be a second team, right?

Don't let the name fool you - Red Bull hasn't been terribly interested in the city. They're happy living in the suburbs, trading on our name but never actually reaching out to the local soccer community.

The Cosmos have done more in the last two months to develo, nurture and grow a soccer culture in New York than the MetroStars/Red Bulls have done in their entire existence.

Which sort of sounds like saying the Rangers/Islanders inhabit the same city.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if they just sell off the name when the real owners get the team, it doesn't matter. It'll be good for NYC to have a real MLS team and this from a Jersey guy who just hates the Red Bull branding.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

If you expect this to be THE cosmos logo

So why do you think this won't be the Cosmos logo when they join MLS?

The NASL ball.

I don't think that necessarily reads as such to soccer fans anymore. Certainly not so much as to necessitate a change.

Besides, they already tweaked the logo - the colors appear different (the background blue looks much lighter than the original), and that's a new typeface, unlike anything they've ever worn before.

Not to mention that MLS doesn't use this ball (and I can't remember if they ever did):

mls-logo.jpg

If they were going to change the star-ball, they would have done so when they made the other changes. Be it now a shout-out to the club's origins or just a design they find attractive, I see no logical reason why we should expect them to change it in a couple years when they field an MLS squad.

If you expect this to be THE cosmos logo

So why do you think this won't be the Cosmos logo when they join MLS?

The NASL ball.

I don't think that necessarily reads as such to soccer fans anymore. Certainly not so much as to necessitate a change.

Besides, they already tweaked the logo - the colors appear different (the background blue looks much lighter than the original), and that's a new typeface, unlike anything they've ever worn before.

Not to mention that MLS doesn't use this ball (and I can't remember if they ever did):

mls-logo.jpg

If they were going to change the star-ball, they would have done so when they made the other changes. Be it now a shout-out to the club's origins or just a design they find attractive, I see no logical reason why we should expect them to change it in a couple years when they field an MLS squad.

The MLS logo uses a generic football because the MLS changes it's soccer ball regularly enough that to keep changing the logo would become expensive. Be interesting to see what the Cosmos do with the logo.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The MLS logo uses a generic football because the MLS changes it's soccer ball regularly enough that to keep changing the logo would become expensive. Be interesting to see what the Cosmos do with the logo.

True, but interestingly enough: at the time MLS revamped it to the current version (2000) their ball DID look exactly like the logo. Complete with blue/green shading on the panels. It lasted two or three years during the Kappa sponsorship, until Puma came in to sponsor Chicago and took over the league ball contract as well.

All you Cosmos haters, tuff, deal with it. As American soccer fans why should we hide from our history? Why should we be ashamed of our NASL history? Why not bring back the most glorious name in American soccer history? Let's be proud and not pretend that soccer is new in this country or is being shoe-horned into our sporting fabric.

As for the shirt itself, it's pure class. Does anyone complain when Mitchell & Ness put out sweet throwbacks?

Archived