New York Cosmos unveil Umbro jerseys

Gothamite

The Cosmos don't yet have a team, but they have a uniform deal with Umbro.

5041347405_4cff103599_o.jpg

The collar is based on the 1977 shirt:

jc016.gif

5041970840_e87f389c0b_o.jpg

I was never much of a fan of that shirt, but I rather like the new one.

Shirts go on sale in December, along with the green walkout jacket Pele's been wearing to promotions:

FFTPelecover_FINAL.jpg

2hmzdea.jpg

I'm in. New York could use a team in MLS. ;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classic, but bland...I agree that its better than what some MLS teams are wearing, but nothing special.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

This is as useless as a fart in the wind.

If MLS decides to go the route of a 2nd New York team and that team happens to be owned by this group trying to revive the Cosmos they have an agreement with Adidas already.

If I can be honest, all I see here is somebody trying to pad their wallet.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Maybe I just don't understand but what is the wave in the Cosmo's logo for? It looks like it would be for a team in Hawaii or SoCal. Just wondering since I don't know the history.

The pattern of the galaxy maybe? :shrugs:

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

I don't think it has anything to do with the galaxy - the name is plural, ˈkäz-mos not ˈkäz-məs. Derivative of "Cosmopolitans", not Carl Sagan.

Most likely a design element - the rotation and curve of a soccer ball on its way to the net?

It's always reminded me more than a little of this:

kleinman_gunbarrel.jpg

Remember the days when it was good enough for a uniform to be attractive? Didn't have to be innovative, edgy, any sort of marketing tool? This gives me hope that there are still people who long for those days.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't think it has anything to do with the galaxy - the name is plural, ˈkäz-mos not ˈkäz-məs. Derivative of "Cosmopolitans", not Carl Sagan.

Very interesting. I did not know that. I always assumed it meant Cosmos as in "The Stars" since they played in NY and had big name players on the teams and celebs in the stands.. Hmm, go figure.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Most likely a design element - the rotation and curve of a soccer ball on its way to the net?

It's always reminded me more than a little of this:

kleinman_gunbarrel.jpg

Objective A: Destroy control console

Objective B: Settle the score with Trevelyan

Not sure I really understand. Is this team even real? From what I understand their goal is to become a MLS team, so wouldn't that mean they would have to be sponsored by Adidas?

The logoset, wordmarks, Umbro deal, and top-level organization chart of the club are real. The team is not. My understanding is that the people in charge are hoping to land an investor interested in building and operating a new MLS venue in New York, allowing them to run the MLS Cosmos in an appropriately-sized stadium (i.e. not the New Meadowlands).

Their target customer is retro soccer fans who loved the NASL New York Cosmos and are turned off by the historically mediocre and rinky-dink MetroStars / Red Bull New York club. They believe there are a lot of those fans out there in the New York metro area.

The ESPN documentary "Once in a Lifetime" is an interesting look at rise and fall of the NASL Cosmos. From watching it I got two sports-logo tidbits relating to the thread.

- The names "Cosmos" was given at the start of the franchise in 1971, before it brought in Pele and all the superstars. The owner looked at the Mets and thought, what's bigger than "Metropolitan"? "Cosmopolitan," hence the Cosmos. I forget whether the Pele-era logos were there at the start.

- When the league and team went down the drain in 1984, anybody who knew anything had left the team or been fired. One of the hangers-on ended up with the rights to the Cosmos IP, and wouldn't sell it to anyone, even the MLS (presumably hoping to use it for the next MLS franchise in NYC), demanding a jillion dollars for it. Until last year, that is, after he had come down in price.

That's a sharp kit.

That's being said I hope it never sees the pitch in an MLS game, unless the Red Bulls rebrand. As a soccer fan who wants the game to grow in the US, I see no value in shoehorning a second team into a market that won't support a team with the best stadium in MLS and 3 star players. Especially considering MLS unjustly killed both Florida teams and has no presence south of DC and east of Houston.

It'd be nice to see the Cosmos join the new NASL though. Then they could actually wear those Umbro kits.

Why would they keep the starred ball from the NASL in the crest?

Tradition I guess. The Whitecaps still use the NASL ball in their crest, so did the Sounders in USL(both changing upon the move to MLS). Personally I think the old crest is better, the one with just "Cosmos" as opposed to the full "New York Cosmos" in the new version.

Archived