2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woah, I sure as hell didn't see that one coming. Who in the hell do the Jazz think they can get to come to Utah who'd be better than Sloan?

Good question, at least with Kevin O'Connor running things. With the loss last night and the odd 30-min. pause between the game and Sloan's press conference, there's a good chance that KOC and Jerry weren't on the same page.

Twenty-three years. When Sloan took over, I was 3 years old when Jerry became the Jazz head coach. And this is how Sloan's tenure ends. Not after winning a title. Not in a quiet, Stockton/Malone-esque way after being eliminated from the playoffs and knowing that you're never going to be as good as you once were. In the middle of a season, with a slump that's been going on for about a month, where the team is still capable of getting home-court advantage (at least on paper and without any behind-doors politicking) and winning the division. It's after a rift with the GM behind closed doors. If this is due to Kevin O'Connor, then there should be no way in hell why he should have a job one week from now.

CEO Greg Miller (son of Larry) has said a couple of years ago that his dad's purchase of the team was "altruistic." I wouldn't doubt that the Millers feel as though they're "serving" the Utah community, while promising to Larry that they won't sell the team. With Larry passing on, maybe the family thinks that it's time to wrap things up and sell the team, or, in other words, their "service" to the Salt Lake community is over. Maybe the team has become a burden to the Miller estate. What's so shocking is that it's only been 2 years since Larry died.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but what if the sky really is falling? The average Jazz fan isn't used to this magnitude of managerial turmoil.

Insert Signature Here?

Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―

My gosh. I don't even know what to think right now. People outside of Jazz fandom don't understand, he's the only coach some of us fans have ever known. It's going to be awfully hard to not see Jerry on the sidelines. I will say though, I think Tyrone Corbin will do well as coach, even if it's just interim. He's been with the franchise for a long time, so he knows it well and I believe can run the team greatly. I totally support him.

Thanks for the good times, Jerry. Best of luck.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I heard the report on the radio...according to rumor from one of the hosts, supposedly Sloan and Deron got into a confrontation (or a series of them) most recently. Also, it's reported that Phil Johnson, Sloan's long-time assistant will also leave.

It's a shock because of the timing (with 30-plus game left to play, and the Jazz still in the playoff race), plus didn't he just sign a contract extension earlier this week?

Press conference on NBA.com scheduled for 5pm ET today.

He never won Coach of the Year. Ain't that some crap.

23 years and he never got the reconigition he deserves. It's a sad reality.

He deserves better anyways. Utah never went out and got the big free agent. He always had to make due with the talent he was given, and did an amazing job with that. Hopefully, now that he's free from Utah, he can land a good gig and FINALLY win himself an NBA championship.

6uXNWAo.png

He never won Coach of the Year. Ain't that some crap.

23 years and he never got the reconigition he deserves. It's a sad reality.

He deserves better anyways. Utah never went out and got the big free agent. He always had to make due with the talent he was given, and did an amazing job with that. Hopefully, now that he's free from Utah, he can land a good gig and FINALLY win himself an NBA championship.

I'd love to see him as the new Head Coach of the Pistons next year. Great coach, but never got the respect. He's been a Hall of Famer, but never a Coach of the Year. That's always been the most surprising.

Wow, I'm surprised. I mean I guess his time to leave was going to come sooner or later, but why mid-season? They're most likely going to make the playoffs, and we're in the second half of the season. So why not call it quits after one more playoff push and end things on a high/respectable/happy note? That way something could have really been planned for him. Now he's going to go out as the guy who quit on his team (although with a great legacy otherwise). I guess it had to come down to politics of some sort. I wonder who will take over his job.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Loogodude, ESPN says that Tyrone Corbin will replace him, though it doesn't say if it's interim or not (I assume it would be). As I said in my previous post, I like Corbin alot and he will do well I think. He's been a solid assistant for sometime and was a player with the Jazz too, so he's well established within the franchise.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Really sad and unexpected that Jerry Sloan left now. I would've wished he finished out the season.

And on another note, there was a Sports Illustrated article today about Amare. And inside it said that the viewers for Knicks games on their local channel (msg) are up 47% overall and 122% fpr males 18-24. That's amazing to me, personally I know 4 or 5 people that only watch the Knicks now because of Amare.

Really sad and unexpected that Jerry Sloan left now. I would've wished he finished out the season.

And on another note, there was a Sports Illustrated article today about Amare. And inside it said that the viewers for Knicks games on their local channel (msg) are up 47% overall and 122% fpr males 18-24. That's amazing to me, personally I know 4 or 5 people that only watch the Knicks now because of Amare.

I think it would be even higher below 18 years, seeing as how this is the first time many of them ( including me) have seen decent basketball.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I think it would be even higher below 18 years, seeing as how this is the first time many of them ( including me) have seen decent basketball.

Me too, and all of my friends are under 16 as well.

Archived