2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

Will the acquisition of Chris Paul magically cause their coach to believe in playing defense? Come on. The guy's the Doug Moe of our time.

To be fair though, D'antoni's facial hair is about 100x cooler. ^_^

But yeah, terrible deal by the Nets. They traded their young up-and-coming point guard, their young trade asset, and two first round for a 1 1/3 year rental on the 4th best PG in the game. Reeks of a desperation move to gain a foothold in Bklyn.

Now, as a Knicks fan, I must say they gave up too much on the Melo trade too, but at least they'll keep him for 3+ years.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But yeah, terrible deal by the Nets. They traded their young up-and-coming point guard, their young trade asset, and two first round for a 1 1/3 year rental on the 4th best PG in the game. Reeks of a desperation move to gain a foothold in Bklyn.

Now, as a Knicks fan, I must say they gave up too much on the Melo trade too, but at least they'll keep him for 3+ years.

Deron Williams is one year younger than Devin Harris, who will never even approach Williams' level if he ever does up and/or come. And if Favors was just a "trade asset" to the Nets, wouldn't this be a prime opportunity to use him as such? As for the draft picks, there's no guarantee a player of his caliber will turn up in the next few years - and there's always a good chance they'd have to trade assets anyway to get a top-5 pick.

The Nets will have the financial flexibility and capability to retain Williams when or before his contract is up (and likely enough to sign another big player), and a year and a half to sell him on being an elite athlete with access to an elite market.

Will the acquisition of Chris Paul magically cause their coach to believe in playing defense? Come on. The guy's the Doug Moe of our time.

To be fair though, D'antoni's facial hair is about 100x cooler. ^_^

Nothing about Mike D'Antoni is cooler than Doug Moe. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

This is a bad move for the Nets. DWill had already listed the Knicks, Mavericks, and Clippers(!) as the only teams he'd consider leaving the Jazz for. Plus he's unhappy about the trade. I see this blowing up in the Nets' faces.

You mean they didn't see if "D-Will" even wanted to play there long term? New Jersey Nets...c'mon, man! It would suck for them if they gave up all that for a year and 1/3 rental. I could understand a championship contender doing that, but not a rebuilding suck ass team trying to make a splash when they are basically the East Coast version of the Clippers.

No offense, but you're giving the Clippers too much credit with that statement. At least the Nets qualified for the NBA Finals once in their history. The Clippers have yet to reach the Conference Finals.

In other news...

I usually can't stand Rick Reilly but he raises a valid point here - the NBA may find itself in deep :censored: fanbase-wise if all the league's superstars keep teaming up in select cities.

I'd like to see a franchise tag to keep this crap from continuing.

Not only would a hard salary cap, and ability to franchise tag their marquee players be useful, but a severe change in marketing is needed to stop making the players seem more important than the actual game (stop feeding their egos and supplying their agents with ammunition) and actually save the league in the long-term. No one would want to watch a league where 25% of the teams are good, and the other 75% are crap. Not to mention, even if they contract the league down to simply the major markets, a league consisting of only eight teams can hardly be considered a professional sports league.

Yes. he is way too old for a franchise trying to get younger. The rest of the team is young, sans Grant Hill and Vinsanity. Load up on draft picks and young talent, and rebuild that team the right way. I like having the Suns competitive, and would hate to see them fall to the bottom of the NBA

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

The Spurs nearly gave me a heart-attack tonight, but thankfully they pulled it out against the Thunder. If Oklahoma City ever tried to pry Blake Griffin from the Clippers they would win the whole thing every single year with a core like that. Thankfully they are just, Oklahoma City.

Way to go Hawks... way to keep tanking...

I think the Knicks are in good shape to get Paul because I don't think STAT signed a max deal.

Amare did sign a max contract deal with the Knicks last summer.

It's amazing what you find out using Google. :grin:

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If you are part of the Phoenix Suns management, would you trade Steve Nash?

Yes I think you have to, get a few draft picks and give Nash a chance to win a ring.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think the Wizards just got Mike Bibby, that's what I heard from half listening to Sportscenter.

Bibby's not nearly the player he used to be. Hawks getting Heinrich is far better than the Wizards getting Bibby.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think the Wizards just got Mike Bibby, that's what I heard from half listening to Sportscenter.

Bibby's not nearly the player he used to be. Hawks getting Heinrich is far better than the Wizards getting Bibby.

I know I'm biased but as a Wizards fan I'm happy overall with the deal. Without getting too entrenched in stats and numbers, Hinrich hasn't really impressed me this season.

I know Bibby is at the tail end of his career so I'm not expecting much from him. So overall I think the Hawks got the better PG.

But as far as Armstrong, he is just terrible. Weak, lanky, lazy. I think that getting Crawford and Evans is a steal for giving up Armstrong.

And the first-round pick is icing on the cake for the Wiz.

I think Hawks fans will be disappointed with Hinrich. It might be that he was playing on a bad team, but his performance with the Wizards this season left a lot to be desired. I won't miss him too much. He's not a bad player but he did not play as well as I thought he would have.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Kirk Hinrich is a weird borderliney player. He's one of the best backup guards in the league, but you're gonna come up well short if he's getting starter minutes. We learned this firsthand with the Bulls. Bibby has harder miles on him than Hinrich does (five more NBA seasons despite only being two years older), which must've been the primary motivator in this move, yet nevertheless I still feel better about going into a knock-down-drag-out 4/5 playoff series with Mike Bibby than I do with Kirk Hinrich. And I like Hinrich.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I still feel better about going into a knock-down-drag-out 4/5 playoff series with Mike Bibby than I do with Kirk Hinrich.

2010-11 Mike Bibby is a hot mess on defense, though. I mean, a hot, burning, "why is this car on fire, it's raining & 37 degrees" mess. I welcome Hinrich with open arms if only because the Hawks upgraded defensively, and Lord knows they need defensive help in the backcourt. Bibby has the playoff experience & the propensity to hit big shots at times, but at this point in his career, getting torched is a regular basis. Hell, that's why I was sad about John Wall coming into the Southeast: As soon as he got a feel for the league, he would have a field day in all 4 games vs. the Hawks because he'd have to deal with Bibby's turnstile defense.

So yeah, I'm totally cool with this trade.

Archived