NFL Playoffs, very odd question

wdm1219inpenna

As many of you are well aware, I'm sometimes "off the wall" wacky. The other day I got home from work, and put on "Sounds of the Seasons" on our TV, and like clockwork, on November 1st, Christmas/Holiday music was on. It got me to thinking about my childhood, adolescence & adulthood. I've been an NFL fan since the early to mid 1970s, and I was just wondering which NFL teams making it to the post-season makes it feel more like the holidays to you and why?

As a child, I remember the Cowboys, Rams, Vikings, Colts, Dolphins, Steelers & Raiders practically making it every single year. Back in the "day", playoffs began on or around Christmas, and I remember the "Ghost to the Post" game being on our TV.

As an adolescent, the Giants, Redskins, Bears, & 49ers often made it from the NFC, and often the Broncos & Oilers would qualify from the AFC. Now the Oilers are the Titans, yet for some reason when the Tennessee Titans make it, it doesn't feel the same to me as when they were the Houston Oilers, but Denver making it to post-season makes me think of the holidays, even though the post-season doesn't begin now until after the holiday season comes to an end. I guess having these teams in contention for the post-season also makes it feel that way to me. I often imagine what Christmas would be like in Colorado, a big giant wooden cabin or cottage, and the Broncos being in the playoffs just "feels" like Christmas to me, I can't explain it, especially since I am not a fan of theirs.

Early adulthood & married life it seemed the Packers & Eagles were making it more and more often from the NFC, and the Bengals & Bills from the AFC, so I suppose I feel the "holiday" feeling to a degree when they make it, but I feel it moreso from Green Bay & Philly.

This last decade or so, it's New England, San Diego making it more often. New England feels more like Christmas to me, probably due to the cold weather they play in. I really don't know...

I was just curious if there are certain teams who make it feel more like the "holidays" to you, especially the closer it gets to the holidays.

I think for me it's the Patriots, Colts, and Steelers in the AFC, and really just the Eagles in the NFC. Being only 15 years old I feel like the Eagles and Pats were in it every year. Something about seeing a game in late December in Foxboro, Pittsburgh, or Philly makes me think of the holidays.

Pretty interesting question, but it at least makes you think. As this is my first year in college, i'm finding myself think back on the good old days of my childhood more and more, and it's pretty fun to look back, so I'll do so here. The very first Super Bowl I remember anything at all about is Cowboys/Steelers in 1996. I don't remember the Patriots/Packers Super Bowl oddly enough, but I remember alot about the Broncos/Packers Super Bowl the year after. From there on out, It felt like, starting out, that the Broncos, Packers, and 49ers were constants for me. Soon to follow in the coming years were the Rams and Titans, then for a time the Buccaneers, then the Eagles, Colts, and Seahawks. I would say the Steelers, but my family hates the Steelers so much that thier games are basically banned in our house (unless it is the Super Bowl, in which we always watch just to cheer on the opponent of course) :P The same goes for New England, but it isn't nearly at the same level as the hatred we have for the Stealers. Er-ahem I mean Steelers. :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I always think of the Lions when I think X-Mas. Why? I have no idea. I have never seen them play in the playoffs, nor even be in contention around Christmas time. I think it may have something to do with the Thanksgiving Day game. They play in it every year, and I always remember watching them. I usually start thinking about X-Mas around Thanksgiving, so maybe the process of watching the Lions while mentally preparing for Christmas has permanently stored the Lions-X-Mas combo in my brain.

I always think of the Lions when I think X-Mas. Why? I have no idea. I have never seen them play in the playoffs, nor even be in contention around Christmas time. I think it may have something to do with the Thanksgiving Day game. They play in it every year, and I always remember watching them. I usually start thinking about X-Mas around Thanksgiving, so maybe the process of watching the Lions while mentally preparing for Christmas has permanently stored the Lions-X-Mas combo in my brain.

IIRC there was a season several years back in which the Detroit Lions played at home on Halloween, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

CCSLC signature.png

You're all crazy.

But like Gary, the Lions and Cowboys make me think of Thanksgiving.

Uh, care to elaborate? :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I think for me it's the Patriots, Colts, and Steelers in the AFC, and really just the Eagles in the NFC. Being only 15 years old I feel like the Eagles and Pats were in it every year. Something about seeing a game in late December in Foxboro, Pittsburgh, or Philly makes me think of the holidays.

Wow. So since you were 5 (the age that I would think many kids start watching sports and retaining vivid memories) the Eagles have been

11-5 (first round)

11-5 (NFC championship game)

12-4 (NFC championship game)

13-3 (Super Bowl)

6-10 (dnq)

10-6 (second round)

8-8 (dnq)

9-6-1 (NFC champiohship game)

11-5 (first round)

and the Patriots have been

5-11

11-5 (won Super Bowl)

9-7

14-2 (won Super Bowl)

14-2 (won Super Bowl)

10-6

12-4

16-0

11-5

10-6

So they've both pretty much dominated their conferences since you've been alive. Kind of like the 49ers / Giants / Redskins / Broncos for me (the Eagles being like the Broncos, as they always come up short.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, let me start that we're all a little "off the wall" wacky. I get where you're coming from.

I agree, it's kind of neat to be at home during the holidays on a Sunday, and watch a snowy game. Especially, if like me, you're living in New Orleans and there's a 50/50 shot that it's shorts-wearing weather outside.

My personal appreciation for playoff teams/game attendance deals with the Saints. It just feels neat to leave your house (all decorated for the holidays), going downtown to the Dome... drinking my traditional holiday cocktail (Dewars and seven)... ladies and fans in the dome add holiday accoutrements to their get-ups: Saints elf hats, jingle bell earrings, etc.... and after the game, going home at dusk or at dark (depending on game time) with all the Christmas lights lit.... back when the Saints first made the playoffs in the Mora era, a local group with children as singers made a song about Santa's gift being the Saints in the playoffs (finally)-- it had lines like, "So have a Merry Christmas, and share in lots of cheer/ Who Dats in the playoffs this year".... Even if I don't hear it on the radio, that song is in my mind around holiday time... Great memories, a great general feeling every year tying in the holidays and our NFL team.

It is what it is.

Wow. So since you were 5 (the age that I would think many kids start watching sports and retaining vivid memories) the Eagles have been

11-5 (first round)

11-5 (NFC championship game)

13-3 (Super Bowl)

6-10 (dnq)

10-6 (second round)

8-8 (dnq)

9-6-1 (NFC champiohship game)

11-5 (first round)

and the Patriots have been

5-11

11-5 (won Super Bowl)

9-7

14-2 (won Super Bowl)

14-2 (won Super Bowl)

10-6

12-4

16-0

11-5

10-6

So they've both pretty much dominated their conferences since you've been alive. Kind of like the 49ers / Giants / Redskins / Broncos for me (the Eagles being like the Broncos, as they always come up short.)

Yeah that would most likely explain my somewhat hatred of the pats and eagles, when i was 6,7, and 8 years old if I turned on anything with sports in January I was most likely seeing one of the two play.

I totally get what he's talking about. For me it's the Dolphins, Steelers, Chiefs, and Vikings. They were great when I was a kid. The holidays just seem "right" when they're in the playoffs etc. Not much chance of seeing all of them this year.

BB52Big.jpg

for me dominant 49ers, cowboys, giants, Bills, and Redskins teams.

probably helps that they were all dominant in the early 90s which is when i started watching football.

since 97 with the exception of sporadicly good Giants teams, they all suck and it doesn't seem like christmas with out them dominating the playoffs.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived