Columbus Blue Jackets Abbreviation

nash61

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WPG

I started thinking about this the other day. This is the proper abbreviation for Winnipeg, no way to dispute.

HOWEVER.

IF the NHL return to Winnipeg in the form of the Jets, and IF the popularization of airport codes on sports jerseys should spill over into pro hockey, then would Winnipeg be rightfully able to use a YVR abbreviation on a jersey? It would certainly be the only real team to be able to do so, IMO, given their nickname.

Feel free to dispute my theory.

I will! But only because YVR is Vancouver's airport code. You meant YWG, All this Pacific time zone stuff has really got to you, hasn't it?

WPG

I started thinking about this the other day. This is the proper abbreviation for Winnipeg, no way to dispute.

HOWEVER.

IF the NHL return to Winnipeg in the form of the Jets, and IF the popularization of airport codes on sports jerseys should spill over into pro hockey, then would Winnipeg be rightfully able to use a YVR abbreviation on a jersey? It would certainly be the only real team to be able to do so, IMO, given their nickname.

I will! But only because YVR is Vancouver's airport code. You meant YWG, All this Pacific time zone stuff has really got to you, hasn't it?

Do all Canadian airport codes start with Y? I guess now most of them make sense ("VR" for Vancouver, "WG" for Winnipeg, etc), but then how did Toronto get stuck with "YYZ"?

(...and since I know that more than likely someone would reply and post this anyway :P)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nmOMo4OPi4

I don't mean to get too off topic, but regarding Arizona, am I way off or did NBC use "AZ" for the Cardinals during the Super Bowl a few years back? I remember something like that.

It is the state's official abbreviation, so I don't see why it would be all that surprising.

I didn't say it surprised me, I just noticed it was different. Most Arizona abbreviations I see are ARI or ARZ. I personally use ARZ or AZ, I just hadn't seen AZ used that often.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

CLB = Columbus

COL = Colorado

CAR = should be Carolina, but it shows up as CRL

WSH = Washington

HFD = Hartford Why not HAR?

FLA = Florida. I know it's an acceptible state abbreviation, but why not FLO?

and others I've seen in video games

LWL = Lowell

WRC = Worcester

MCH = Manchester (maybe to not confuse with MTB Manitoba, don't know)

PTL = Portland (Either Maine or Oregon)

SPG = Springfield

BNG = Binghamton

LEM = Lake Erie Monsters

Not sure why the obvious abbreviations aren't used.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

HFD = Hartford Why not HAR?

FLA = Florida. I know it's an acceptible state abbreviation, but why not FLO?

These two I can look at and know off the top of my head what they're referring to. The "why nots"... not so much.

and others I've seen in video games

LWL = Lowell

WRC = Worcester

MCH = Manchester (maybe to not confuse with MTB Manitoba, don't know)

PTL = Portland (Either Maine or Oregon)

SPG = Springfield

BNG = Binghamton

LEM = Lake Erie Monsters

Not sure why the obvious abbreviations aren't used.

How does Peoria show up?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

WPG

HOWEVER.

Dude. You have no idea.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

If they can get away with 4 letters, I would use CBUS. ^_^

I never heard "C-Bus" until I went to college and people from outside Columbus asked me if I was from C-Bus? It took me a second to figure out what they were saying.

This whole thread reminds me of the time I took notes during a lecture using mostly consonants. So I had a whole page of notes that looked like, "ths whl thrd rmnds me of th tym I tk nts drng a lctr usng mstly cnsnants." The professor was mind-numbingly boring. I had to find ways to entertain myself.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I prefer CLB for Columbus, can't really say why. Something about CBJ just doesn't look right.

Again, extending the concept, I go with CHW instead of CWS for the White Sox (to match CHC for Cubs). I can't see using the league initials such as CHN and CHA because to me CHA means Charlotte. ... Also, I go with LAD and LAA... and I prefer WSH over WAS for anybody in Washington, just because WAS looks like a verb for a has-been. Also JAX for Jacksonville.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived