Helmet Decals

jake22

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not saying if the bengals use paint or decals, because i really dont know. I'll just offer this bit of common sense. If your going to spend the time to mask off the stripes, why not just use decals?

I'd say it's probably because it looks better. If you look at the TO pic I posted, the stripes just don't look right. Plus it's unique.

StadiumSig.gif

Courtesy of Uni Watch, easily the most fascinating sports photo ever taken.1360331300_f675d288d9_o.jpg

The photo is from 2007, and the Bama player on the ground is number 49. You'll notice that his helmet only has a 4 on it though, and that the 9 is, captured forever by the photographer's perfect timing, flying through the air.

Stickers.

Okay, it's a great shot, but two things: 1) Really? Easily the most fascinating sports photo ever taken? Sorry, have to disagree there. Maybe that would be a good idea for a separate thread, for everyone to post what they think fits that description.

2) Having shot sports game action and fast animals (leaping dolphins, etc.) numerous times, here's a truism about it: if you see it in the viewfinder, you missed it. You just can't trigger the camera fast enough to have it capture what you've seen. Usually you're best off to anticipate the action and use burst mode. Cameras these days have extremely fast burst rates and often what we see is the best one of a bunch that the photographer shot in burst mode. So I'm pretty confident that pic was in essence a lucky shot.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an amazing shot, but crowning its a** as best ever is going a little over the top. :D

About Notre Dame, saw a feature about their helmets some time ago and obviously the helmets are painted because there's nothing on them. But did you know they mix special paint using actual gold? Supposedly it's left over from what the maintenance crew uses to keep the golden dome on campus looking spiffy.

nd-wknd-helmet-painting.jpg

Notre_Dame_Dome_001.jpeg

All of which leads me to believe Notre Dame has too much money on its hands. :wacko:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

So, how do they apply the decals so precisely? Do equipment managers use some sort of machine to apply the decals, or are they applied by hand? I'd imagine that, with human error, we'd see all sorts of logo errors - but I've seen more pics of misspelled names (screen print or tackle twill) than I have seen pics of helmet miscues.

So, how do they apply the decals so precisely? Do equipment managers use some sort of machine to apply the decals, or are they applied by hand? I'd imagine that, with human error, we'd see all sorts of logo errors - but I've seen more pics of misspelled names (screen print or tackle twill) than I have seen pics of helmet miscues.

My guess is they're applied by hand using some kind of template, i.e. a guide they can quickly place on the helmet using "landmarks" like the earholes, center ridge, vent holes, etc. that shows where to place the decal. Otherwise they'd be all over the place.

Found this by Googling:

==

Applying Football Helmet Decals

Before any decals can be applied, the surface area of the football helmet must be clean from dirt or dust. You can towel off the surface with water only and let dry.

Apply ProPrep? helmet polish, following the instructions on the bottle. ProPrep? is a polish that doesn't scratch like acrylic-based waxes. Helmets are easier to keep clean and looking like new. Best of all, if you remove and replace helmet decals during the season, your helmet decals will remove easily and cleanly. Leaves no decal adhesive behind and prevents paint from being peeled off with the decal.

Applying the Decal

1.Decal should be positioned on helmet so the bottom of the decal design rests 2? from top of helmet earhole.

2.Press center of decal to helmet so only a small middle section is applied to helmet.

3.Working from middle, out, press decal to helmet. Apply larger areas to helmet first then press smaller sections down. This will prevent buckling.

4.When decal is applied to helmet, rub over entire decal with thumb to make sure it is completely pressed into place.

5.If buckling occurs, gently lift up buckled area. Pull to straighten and reapply.

===

When applying decals, you learn tricks to keep them all the same. Ideally, when the player has his head straight up, the decal is straight. Usually, I draw an imaginary line through the center of the decal and line that up with an imaginary line that starts at the top valve cap and runs through the center of the ear hole. Then I apply the decal in what seems to be the center of the helmet on that line.

There are lots of decal applying errors, but they are much harder to spot. Between the fact that player wear their helmets differently and that heads are always moving and tilting, it's harder for an untrained eye to spot a crooked decal. It's easy to put them on adequately, but it's hard to put them on perfectly.

If you're looking for perfectly applied decals, look up UConn from '08 and '09. I can assure you that all those decals look great.

When applying decals, you learn tricks to keep them all the same. Ideally, when the player has his head straight up, the decal is straight. Usually, I draw an imaginary line through the center of the decal and line that up with an imaginary line that starts at the top valve cap and runs through the center of the ear hole. Then I apply the decal in what seems to be the center of the helmet on that line.

There are lots of decal applying errors, but they are much harder to spot. Between the fact that player wear their helmets differently and that heads are always moving and tilting, it's harder for an untrained eye to spot a crooked decal. It's easy to put them on adequately, but it's hard to put them on perfectly.

If you're looking for perfectly applied decals, look up UConn from '08 and '09. I can assure you that all those decals look great.

Funny you should say that. Some of the Saints' FDLs always seem like they're leaning backwards.

marques_colston_blog.jpg

usually it's done by hand...anyone with a keen eye and steady hand can apply helmet decals it's not as hard as it looks

I played college football at Morgan State, we had a guy do ours but he let you do your own if you felt like you could, as long as you didn't screw it up and make him double back and fix it! Some guys could do it easy, some guys would sit there and screw it up time after time...too far back, crooked, left an air bubble, etc.

I always put my own decals on...we only put em on at the beginning of the year and you only got a new one if yours got too ratty or it got cut or started to peel off...they'd wash the helmets and buff em with the decals still on

we'd take the decals for keepsakes and then tell the manager ours peeled off or make up some story to get him to give us fresh decals...they were pretty lock-n-key with the decals, even at a small school like Morgan so I'm sure getting your hands on authentic helmet decals from a big school is hard

in high school we'd get one set of decals...and you wouldn't get anymore no matter what...and at the end of the year the coach would give you 3 or 4 still with the backing on it fresh out of the box for you to take and stick on your car or in a scrapbook or something

I'm sure at bigger schools and in the pros you get new decals each week

I know some teams just eyeball it, and others the equipment guy uses measurements and taped templates, etc. to make sure they're all lined up right

but there are often mistakes if you watch enough football and pay attention

for instance, I notice the 'C' on the Bears helmets are sometimes different from player to player...some are placed slightly higher, some are slightly lower, some are tilted back, some are dead on perfect, etc.

I've noticed that some players seem to have the 'C' more open:

chicago-bears-riddell-revolution-full-size-authentic-proline-football-helmet_eb0a9b8a14fba79e800e18e4473e30cd.jpg

and some players the 'C' is more closed:

display_image.jpg?x=130987

capt.nyol58707232221.bears_hester_football_nyol587.jpg

^Hester's has appeared to be almost completely closed before

I've seen the 'C' done lots of ways so I think they're person just eyeballs it

- - - - - - - -

also due to helmet shapes, some decals are different...I noticed a lot of decals moved ever so slightly to avoid the big hole on the new helmet designs

notice the difference in the horns due to helmet demensions:

09000d5d81ca9338_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d81cac410_gallery_600.jpg

I'm amazed Morgan State was so stingy with their decals. Most D-1 schools are more than happy to send you a set just by sending them a self adressed stamped envelope. I've gotten at least one set from all Big XII teams and a few from some SEC schools (just haven't tried the rest).

StadiumSig.gif

I'm amazed Morgan State was so stingy with their decals. Most D-1 schools are more than happy to send you a set just by sending them a self adressed stamped envelope. I've gotten at least one set from all Big XII teams and a few from some SEC schools (just haven't tried the rest).

Which SEC schools responded? Have you tried any ACC?

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

Funny you should say that. Some of the Saints' FDLs always seem like they're leaning backwards.

marques_colston_blog.jpg

To me that looks right. I like it better when the logo is straight with the helmet rather than when they try to make it straight up and down with the player wearing it. The Denver Broncos used to do that with their old helmets and most of the time it looks like it's falling forward.

john_elway1.jpg

Idaho also does it and it looks goofy to me.

PvO6ZWJ.png

marques_colston_blog.jpg

To me that looks right. I like it better when the logo is straight with the helmet rather than when they try to make it straight up and down with the player wearing it. The Denver Broncos used to do that with their old helmets and most of the time it looks like it's falling forward.

john_elway1.jpg

Idaho also does it and it looks goofy to me.

That quote with that uniform doesn't make sense.

I thought this vid was interesting. I'd love to inspect one of the Riddell lids that's masked with a decal template and compare it to some of the Schutt helmets that Russ tapes off by eye.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived