Helmet Decals

jake22

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't some team have a tradition of not wearing the decals during preseason, or if you're on the practice squad, and you dont get to wear the logo on your helmet until your first game.

At the NFL Level, through training camp, I believe teams will wear their fully equipped helmets. At the college level many teams will go through spring practice, and summer workouts without any decals. Many teams also will use thier "alternate" helmets during spring / summer practice, to offset cost of only having the alternate helmet being worn one game. Most of the time these helmets are white...

All helmet designs are stickers. No one has used paint in decades. The only football helmet that still is painted is Notre Dame...

the last sentence couldn't be more wrong...I would say at least 50% of the helmets in the ncaa and nfl have painted shells...any team with a metallic finish starts with essentially a primer colored shell then is sprayed and clear coated...for a few decades it was only the silver and gold (and michigan) that were painted on but around the late 90's schutt and ridell started offering metallic and candy finishes to all of their color offereings...there was even the 2 tone shell that sdsu wore that was clearly painted...since then the molded plastic colored shell looks cheap compared to a painted shell...I'm amazed that some bfl teams still use them.

All helmet designs are stickers. No one has used paint in decades. The only football helmet that still is painted is Notre Dame...

the last sentence couldn't be more wrong...I would say at least 50% of the helmets in the ncaa and nfl have painted shells...any team with a metallic finish starts with essentially a primer colored shell then is sprayed and clear coated...for a few decades it was only the silver and gold (and michigan) that were painted on but around the late 90's schutt and ridell started offering metallic and candy finishes to all of their color offereings...there was even the 2 tone shell that sdsu wore that was clearly painted...since then the molded plastic colored shell looks cheap compared to a painted shell...I'm amazed that some bfl teams still use them.

The "paint" he was referring to isn't the base color of the actual helmet, but the logo on the side...

The "paint" he was referring to isn't the base color of the actual helmet, but the logo on the side...

but notre dame doesnt have a logo

interesting discussion about applying helmet decals.. in addition to my duties as varsity assistant coach of my HS football team I am also equipment manager... of course, helmet decals fall under my purview.. our helmets feature a single white stripe, cougar head logo on the right side, numerals on the left side, and an American flag on the rear.

our helmets have a cougar logo on one side and 3" ncaa-style numerals on the other.. I have found that applying the cougar-head to riddell revolution helmets is much easier than older riddells and schutt helmets.. using the air vents as points to line the decal up come in very handy..

the numerals are a different story. they NEVER look the same after the helmet is put on the player's head. after the helmet is on (usually on the practice field) I am constantly studying my 'work', pulling off numerals and realigning them!! smaller helmets are much more difficult to eyeball than the larger heads! I try to use earholes as the bottom of the numeral.. I have varied the space in between numerals from year to year, from a 'tight' look (Alabama style) to much wider (older Syracuse and Army style).. a tradition that has begun at the school is kind of neat.. after the season the players are given their "numbers" which they wear on their backpacks in the halls... its a neat look!

for the flags, the location of the stickers is "NFL" style, on the rear, to the right of the center stripe. we are not allowed to cover the helmet warning sticker, so flag placement varies by individual helmet.

I saw a story that NFL Films did on Don Majkowski and I couldn't pay attention to the story because whoever was applying decals to the Packers helmets in the late 80's early 90's was a dumby.

p1_tony_mandarich2.jpg

majik_b7_crop_340x234.jpg

They were farther towards the back of the helmets than the front and they were much lower than they are now.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived