Helmet Decals

jake22

Ok so I am in the middle of this little debacle with a friend of mine about weather helmet decals in college football and the NFL are stickers or are painted on. I am almost 100% positive that they are all stickers but I am looking for some evidence from the people who know best.

I am looking to find out what the truth is about this issue but I am also looking for some photographic evidence that shows it, maybe some close up photos that clearly show the decal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an article a little while back on the UniWatch blog about a company that produces the stickers. I believe they said all NFL teams are stickers, except Cincinnati, whose helmets are painted black first, then masked off for the orange. It seems as though the Rams would be done the same way, but can't remember.

All helmet designs are stickers. No one has used paint in decades. The only football helmet that still is painted is Notre Dame...

That isn't true. Not only to the Bengals paint their helmets, somebody posted a link to a video about Michigan having their helmets painted. They are painted yellow and then taped off to have navy painted over them.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I need to settle the fact The Cincinnati Bengals helmet logos are DECALS and not painted on. I am a sports videographer for a Cincinnati television station and shoot video from the Bengals sideline every Sunday and at practices. They are six individual stripe decals that have to be replaced after every game if they get damaged. The Rams are also decals as they had to merely peal off the old gold horn logos recently and replace them with the yellow ones for a throwback game. Not sure where the rumor of the Bengals having painted on logos started as I have seen that somewhere else on the internet too.

Courtesy of Uni Watch, easily the most fascinating sports photo ever taken.

1360331300_f675d288d9_o.jpg

The photo is from 2007, and the Bama player on the ground is number 49. You'll notice that his helmet only has a 4 on it though, and that the 9 is, captured forever by the photographer's perfect timing, flying through the air.

Stickers.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/95731823/Sports-Illustrated

Looks like stickers.. you can see the tiny bit of clear on the edges..

The stripes are painted on. There was a Uniwatch article on it some time back. I can't find the link right now, but there is a thread somewhere around here where I posted it before.

http://www.uniwatchb...les-rob-recker/

Found it.

The only team that I am aware of that doesn't use decals in the NFL are the Bengals, who have the stripes masked off and painted over. All decals in the NFL and college are vinyl stickers that are applied to the helmet.

The Bengals are kind of interesting... it seems like 99.9% of the time they paint their stripes, but if in a crunch will still use decals.

palmerspeed.jpg Here's a shot of Carson Palmer where you can clearly see the painted on stripes.

09000d5d81b06d27.jpg Here's a shot of TO with a decal (you can tell because it's covering the air hole on the back of the helmet.

The only teams I know that still paint decals are...

Cincinnati Bengals

Michigan Wolverines

Delaware Blue Hens (this is an assumption since Michigan does theirs)

Notre Dame really doesn't count since they don't have a logo.

StadiumSig.gif

The only team that I am aware of that doesn't use decals in the NFL are the Bengals, who have the stripes masked off and painted over. All decals in the NFL and college are vinyl stickers that are applied to the helmet.

The Bengals are kind of interesting... it seems like 99.9% of the time they paint their stripes, but if in a crunch will still use decals.

palmerspeed.jpg Here's a shot of Carson Palmer where you can clearly see the painted on stripes.

09000d5d81b06d27.jpg Here's a shot of TO with a decal (you can tell because it's covering the air hole on the back of the helmet.

The only teams I know that still paint decals are...

Cincinnati Bengals

Michigan Wolverines

Delaware Blue Hens (this is an assumption since Michigan does theirs)

Notre Dame really doesn't count since they don't have a logo.

....interesting....

I have graphics of those Bengals stripes laid out flat...I'll post them when I can...

(I'm in the middle of packing up my house and FINALLY moving to Minnesota. We'll leave Colorado for good tomorrow morning.)

Sweet! I've always wondered what those would look like laid out.

Where in Minnesota are you moving, if you don't mind me asking? Also, welcome!

I have graphics of those Bengals stripes laid out flat...I'll post them when I can...

(I'm in the middle of packing up my house and FINALLY moving to Minnesota. We'll leave Colorado for good tomorrow morning.)

Sweet! I've always wondered what those would look like laid out.

Where in Minnesota are you moving, if you don't mind me asking? Also, welcome!

We've got a rental house on 2 1/2 acres in Inver Grove Heights. Really nice place, but smaller than our current house. So, there will be some challenges. We've got a nice view of the Mississippi too...

Just wish we weren't moving up there in freakin' December...

Archived