My NHL

kiwi_canadian

So Patrick Division is up now. This division has the Capitals, Penguins, Flyers, Rangers, Islanders, Devils and Tampa Bay. The Lightning make the move here because of geographic reasons. (They actually were in the Norris Division when they came into the league)The teams that will not be changing. Philadelphia, Rangers, and the Islanders. I think the Flyers finally did something right and ditched the black jerseys and went back to the classic Broad Street Bullies era jerseys (even if the name plates are contrasting. I like that vintage sort of look.) Islanders also got it right and went back to the classic style. As mentioned before with the original 6 teams, I don't feel a need to change those.

Pittsburgh Penguins:

PittsburghPenguins.png

This one started off with the 1992 template with the Vegas gold instead of the yellow. It did not work at all, in fact it was terrible and hurt the eyes. The only thing that carries over from their current jerseys are the pant design, logo and numbers.

Washington Capitals:

WashingtonCapitals.png

Right now the Caps jerseys aren't bad...but the entire theme of this series is to bring back colour. So I went back to the old design (current Winter classic ones) and went from there. Everything is pretty much the same with down to the stars on the pants.

Tampa Bay Lightning:

TampaBayLightning.png

I felt that before the switch to the Edge, Tampa had a strong jersey template. It was a classic hockey design. When the switch came, I felt they did well on the logo but missed on the template. So I merged the 2 and what came out was a classic template with the modern logo.

New Jersey Devils:

NewjerseyDevils.png

Okay, I know the Devils have one of the best sets going and I praise Lamoriello for sticking to his guns and not changing a thing when the switch to the Edge was made. Again though, this was to bring in colour and I liked the GREEN and red jerseys so they are back in all their Christmas Tree glory (and in the spirit of the current Christmas season)...And I realise that the green isn't a primary colour but it is back and more prominent in this set.

The conclusion to the series will obviously be the Adams Division. The old Habs-Nords rivalry, Whalers-Bruins rivalry. You can just feel the nostalgia can't you!...Oh and if I get in the mood, I may even throw in the All-Star game jerseys.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...And no I will not put in the Mighty Ducks logo as I feel they finally got something right with dropping the Disney theme and they should keep it that way.

:rolleyes: It was/is a perfectly good logo despite its origins.

That being said, the jerseys look great with the D on the front. Have to wonder why the team didn't think of it in the first place.

Also, not too sure a yellow road jersey would work for the Kings. Sure, nostalgia and all, but something like that might be better suited as a third uniform. Maybe for the road try white and purple with yellow accents.

EDIT: My bad. I just noticed you've switched the dark and white jerseys around. But yeah, my suggestion's still there.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Adams Division is done. First off the teams that don't change are of course Montreal, Boston and Toronto. Carolina, as mentioned before, has moved back to Hartford and Pucky and the Whalers are back in the NHL as well as Atlanta moving to Quebec City. (Although watching Satellite Hotstove last night on Hockey Night in Canada, the rumors are starting to surface of Atlanta moving to Winnipeg as they are the only city that has a money making market as well as an arena. No other city that wants a team currently has both of those factors.)

So starting off are the Quebec Nordiques:

QuebecNordiques.png

This was another one of my old concepts that was very well received on the boards here...the difference being that instead of the darker shades of red and blue that I used, I went back to the old colours (which was a request that was often made for the previous concept).

Buffalo Sabres:

BuffaloSabres.png

For some reason Buffalo seems to be one of those teams that are on the verge of getting things right for the jerseys but then blow it with the addition of some random gray lines and armpit stains. hopefully I have fixed the problem here. I went with the Winter Classic jersey from a few years ago and matched it up with the Sabres current 3rds. For some reason I really like the design of the 3rds and decided to keep them around.

Hartford Whalers:

HartfordWhalers.png

While I do like the jerseys that the Whalers last wore (the ones where navy blue was the primary), I felt that GREEN needed to be brought back as the clubs main colour. They just looked right in it and even though it is a bit cartoony, I felt that Pucky needed to be back in his rightful place on the shoulders.

Ottawa Senators:

OttawaSenators.png

This one was by far the hardest to do. Right now I find the Sens jerseys just boring, especially the white ones. I wanted to go back to when they were reincarnated back in 1992 but again, I find those to be a bit boring as well. I thought well bring back the barber poll jerseys, but that is just too much going on. So I attempted a bit of both. The used what the Ottawa 67's of the OHL used as I found it combined the barber poll with a simple design. I did try going with a red for the away but it just didn't work and made it look too busy. I also do not like the current logo. I went with the flat one that they have as an alternate and I think it works really well.

So that concludes my NHL as I see fit...how ever, I will have a go with the All-Star game jersey in a few days and see what I come up with. Hope everyone enjoyed this one.

Washington Capitals:

WashingtonCapitals.png

Right now the Caps jerseys aren't bad...but the entire theme of this series is to bring back colour. So I went back to the old design (current Winter classic ones) and went from there. Everything is pretty much the same with down to the stars on the pants.

Indeed. Which is why they must never jump on the throwback bandwagon. And this is comming from someone who usually loves throwback looks. There's a old saying for this. If it ain't broke...

Washington Capitals:

WashingtonCapitals.png

Indeed. Which is why they must never jump on the throwback bandwagon. And this is comming from someone who usually loves throwback looks. There's a old saying for this. If it ain't broke...

And I agree...but like I said, the theme of this series was to bring back colour. Right now the caps use darker shades of blue and red. I went with the brighter shades of red and blue as it was a bit more colourful. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing on them.

Washington Capitals:

WashingtonCapitals.png

And I agree...but like I said, the theme of this series was to bring back colour. Right now the caps use darker shades of blue and red. I went with the brighter shades of red and blue as it was a bit more colourful. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing on them.

But that's exactly what you did... and the red on the caps jerseys now isn't dark at all.

Not a fan of the Senators, but other than that pretty good.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

I really like the Quebec set...can't wait to see more!!!!

"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.? - 'Broad Street Bullies' coach Fred "The Fog" Shero

1z4y8ms.jpg

"A guy broke into my apartment last week.. He didn't take the TV, just the remote. Now he drives by and changes the channels.. Sick b***ard"

So I got this inspiration for this series from the first game of the NHL season for the Canucks. I watch the game with LA and Vancouver and my god it looked so good. I thought it would be really great if the NHL brought back some colour into the league. So I started this little series. First off I will have to set up the situation:

We jump ahead to the 2015 NHL season. Bettman is gone and the league's Board of Governors decides to go back old school and elect a president from the members. The majority of the governors are also sick and tired of having their hard earned money go to the teams who are constantly losing money (revenue sharing)and come up with solutions for a few teams. After losing money every year since moving, the Coyotes bite the bullet and move back to Winnipeg and the Jets are reborn. Atlanta can't give away tickets (did anyone see the new scheme they have going to sell tickets right now?) and are forced to move to Quebec City. The league decides that Colorado from the 1995-96 season was an expansion season and Quebec had their franchise dormant. Hartford finally got he money to build a new arena and lure the Hurricanes back to Hartford and the Whalers and the Brass Bonanza live again. The league also contracts by 2 teams with Florida and Nashville forced to suspend operations.

So we are left with 28 teams. The league president tells Reebok that the teams will have complete control in their uniform designs and a few teams get new duds. The 3rd jerseys are also gone and white is brought back as the home jersey. The league also decides that the geographical names for divisions are gone and will be going back to 4 divisions with 7 teams split into 2 conferences.

The league now has the Campbell Conference with the Norris and Smythe divisions and the Wales Conference with the Adams and Patrick divisions. Many teams from the final season with this alignment go back to the same divisions and some shift around. Geography still plays a roll in where the teams are assigned.

So now that all this bloody reading is done (and I am sorry but I felt that it needed to be explained)I will start with the Smythe Division. Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Los Angeles, Winnipeg, San Jose and Anaheim are in this division. I felt that Anaheim and San Jose already had a strong uniform design so no change was made.

This is one of the most enjoyable series I've seen on these boards in quite some time. Not only was the description an enjoyable read (and Exactly what the NHL should do) the concepts themselves are for the most part pefect! Of all your designs there is only ONE I would change and it relates to bringing colour back to the league...

The Dallas Stars concept needs Kelly Green! The shade they originally had was so much brighter and more attractive than what they use now. Also The collegiate script seems like a blemish when compared to your other stellar concepts. Other than that small nitpick, great work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I was thinking that with this thread it wasn't too far off from the NHL's 100th season. So I jumped ahead in my fantasy world to the NHL's 100th season and came up with a little idea. So here it is:

With the league celebrating 100 years, the league has decided to allow for one season only the option of a third and/or 4th jersey, the only speculation being that they HAVE to be vintage design with ties to the NHL's history. Some teams have opted out as their current uniforms they have are already vintage. The NHL also has decided to recognize the WHA in this celebration and will allow the WHA teams to go back to their vintage days in that league. As well, the teams will all have the Vintage NHL program patch on their jerseys. So to start us off, here are the WHA teams:

Edmonton (Alberta) Oilers 1972-73 Season:

EdmontonVintage.png

Went back to the first season for the Oilers and have put the WHA logo in the collar of the jersey (as well with all WHA teams)

Hartford (New England) Whalers 1972-73

HartfordVintage.png

The first WHA champion and went with the first jerseys of the club.

Winnipeg Jets 1972-73:

WinnipegVintage.png

The home of the very first million dollar contract (Bobby Hull) again went with the very first jerseys because the current ones were too similar to the ones with that they won the Avco World Championship with and the Jets wanted something different.

Quebec Nordiques 1973-74:

QuebecVintage.png

The Nordiques thought about going with the baby blue colours but thought it was a bit too light in colour. They stuck with the change the club made in 1973.

Colorado Avalanche (Rockies)1977-82:

ColoradoVintage.png

The New Jersey Devils and the NHL allowed Colorado to pay homage to the city's very first NHL team (even though they were not successful). The Avs felt it was important to recognize that the Rockies were the first Denver based NHL team.

San Jose Sharks (California Seals) 1967-68:

SanJoseVintage.png

This is a bit of a strange story. Many thought the sharks would go back to the club's first season but they didn't. The Sharks also wanted to pay homage to the Bay Area's first NHL team and went with the California Seals of the very first league expansion season. (In fact the Sharks and Seals are very closely linked historically)

So this is the first batch of jerseys and there will be more to come. Some might even shock some people.

I like this whole series, I just wish the Dallas Stars had a green home uniform instead of black (I can't stand they used to have the best identity as the North Stars and destroyed it when they moved to Dallas and added too much black) and the fact that Tampa Bay isn't in Hamilton, but I'm probably one of the few Americans who can't stand the sun-belt teams. Overall though, great job with this project.

Ok so it's original 6 teams up next and the teams only have a 3rd jersey. So here they are:

Montreal Canadiens 1924-25:

MontrealVintage.png

This is from the year that the Habs were the current holders of the Stanley Cup hence the globe logo. The Habs wanted a unique jersey after a lot of the other historic jerseys had been done for the Club's 100th season. The amusing thing about this is that they got to the Cup finals back in 1925 but lost the Cup to the Victoria Cougars, the last non NHL team to win the Cup.

Toronto Maple Leafs 1927-36:

TorontoVintage.png

The Leafs also wanted something that was a bit unique and went with this jersey. The Leafs had done something like this jersey back in the mid 90's to celebrate the Maple leaf Gardens anniversary.

Chicago Blackhawks 1948-51:

ChicagoVintage.png

The 'Hawks went back to this jersey like they did in the 1991-92 season.

Detroit Red Wings (Cougars) 1927-28, 1929-30:

DetroitVintage.png

This was the 2nd design the club had in their history and they also wanted to go away from the Winter Classic Jersey they did back in 2009.

New York Rangers 1934-25:

RangersVintage.png

The Rangers jerseys over the years have been very similar in templates and this is no different. The only difference being is the "Rangers" font and numbering.

Boston Bruins 1931-32:

BostonVintage.png

The Bruins also wanted to get away from the Winter Classic jersey and went back to the 30's for their design.

5 jerseys left (maybe 6) and this series addition will be over.

Archived