2011 NFL Uniform Changes

ARTnSocal

Considering we just came off a year where there were ZERO changes to any teams uniforms (besides the Redskins adding yellow pants), I'd be surprised if we go another year without some changes. Especially considering we were averaging about 2 uniform changes per year, for the past decade.

If anything, I'd think this were an indication that we're not gonna be seeing a whole lot of new looks for awhile. Kind of like how in the early part of the decade there were always at least 2 or 3 teams moving into a new stadium. I think a lot of teams are starting to settle into their new looks the way they've settled into their new digs.

The whole "Nike/Reebok" deal has been greatly overblown. Its really the TEAMS that determine how they want to look and if they want to make uniform changes (with help from NFL Properties). Nike and Reebok mean very little.

This is true, but I'm sure that hasn't stopped Nike from cooking up an idea or 5 to present to each team in hopes that at least a small handful will bite.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why everyone is so scared of the Nike deal. Nike just won the rights to manufacture and distribute the unforms for the NFL, not the ability to completely redesign uniforms. The teams and league have the final say in what they look like as in colors, stripes, etc.

The whole "Nike/Reebok" deal has been greatly overblown. Its really the TEAMS that determine how they want to look and if they want to make uniform changes (with help from NFL Properties). Nike and Reebok mean very little.

OK, this is getting ridiculous. That's the second time in two days that I am in complete agreement with dennisbergan.

People are acting like Nike can just come in and say "Guess what Pittsburgh, (or whoever) we don't care about your tradition. As soon as we get this contract you're going to be the NFL equivalent of Oregon." This is the NFL people. Nike will jump as high as the NFL decides Nike needs to jump and not the other way around.

Correct, but the teams / NFL Prpoerties often times do partner with the manufacturer, and even use their design teams in many cases. If a new design requires a new template, it wouldn't make sense for reebok to go through the expense of developing and manufacturing said template only to pass it off a year later - just like Nike may not be happy with inheriting something brand new that they're not equipped to manufacture.

I don't know why everyone is so scared of the Nike deal. Nike just won the rights to manufacture and distribute the unforms for the NFL, not the ability to completely redesign uniforms. The teams and league have the final say in what they look like as in colors, stripes, etc.

People are dumb.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Where did you hear that?

I can't recall the exact story, but someone from the Cowboys commented on it. Apparently the silver-green colour was created so that the pants would look silver on low-res television screens. Now that high definition is becoming more widespread the green is more noticeable, even to people who aren't uniform nerds like us, and apparently the Cowboys get a lot of comments concerning it. So the guy said they were looking into it.

He didn't say that they were ditching them, but he did say that the team was aware of the greenish shade and that something might be done.

I'm guessing that if they're planning on doing anything they'll wait for Nike to take over.

Where did you hear that?

It was talked about this summer by Cowboys vice president of merchandising Bill Priakos.

Dallas Obserever Link

"Nothing's set in stone," Priakos says. "But we want the pants to look silver, to be consistent to every fan no matter if they're at the game or watching on TV, whether we're home or on the road. Of course, we'll never change the home white jerseys or the helmets, but we're experimenting with some different shades in the pants."

Of course, we'll never change the home white jerseys or the helmets, but we're experimenting with some different shades in the pants."

Will anyone be surprised if the Cowboys manage to screw this up and go with an even worse/mismatching color? Hopefully it won't happen, but I do have my doubts.

Archived