Carolina Wolf Spiders

jeh-see

Hey guys. I was trying to come up with a unique nickname for a hockey team and, since I own one, I thought Carolina Wolf Spiders sounded cool. The Carolina or Giant Wolf Spider (H. carolinensis) is the largest wolf spider in North America. As I said, I owned one (she died the day after xmas) and they are awesome creatures and would make a perfect mascot for any sports club in the Carolinas. The team I am working on is based in Greensboro, NC but I may change that to somewhere in South Carolina since it is the official state spider and would relate more to the area. Anyways, as far as the logo, this is what I have come up with so far and will pretty much be all of the spider that will be seen in the crest, since in the final work I want to have it look like the spider is emerging out of a shield (as if coming out of its burrow) with the Greesboro (for now) skyline silhouetted in the background, filling the shield. I also don't think the color scheme here will be the final scheme either, I am just using this one for reference at the moment. Well this is a work-in-progress, but I wanted to get some constructive criticism on what I have now before making any big steps toward finishing the logo. Thanks in advance!

2004-06-North-Carolina-Logo.jpg

~UniJ

My only problem is that it doesn't look like a spider. It doesn't look like anything. When I see it my mind doesnt immeadiately register that it's a spider

l_carolinensis_med.jpg

2004-06-North-Carolina-Logo.jpg

I disagree, personally. I think the rendering is pretty close to the cephalothorax of a wolf spider.

Don't wolf spiders actually jump and attack their prey? I think a more dynamic logo that's full body would work better in this case. The rendering you have now is good and accurate, but it may not register as a spider head to many.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Don't wolf spiders actually jump and attack their prey? I think a more dynamic logo that's full body would work better in this case. The rendering you have now is good and accurate, but it may not register as a spider head to many.

They run down their prey, which is where they got their "wolf" name from. It's kind of eerie to watch, actually, but it's nature. Would adding pedipalps (the "legs" on the side of the fangs that assist in manipulating their food) aid in immediate ID as a spider cephalothorax without adding a full body or legs? The extra appendages just won't work for the design I have in mind (at least I don't think they will at this point in the design process). Thanks for the C&C so far, guys.

UniJ

Ok I have two issues with the logo in it's current incarnation. The first is the size. Even at it's current size there are lines and certain areas of block colour which feel dangerously thin. Reduce it down small enough to be used on I dunno a keychain or TV graphics and those parts will disappear completely. For the sake of success I think it would be a good idea to reduce the logo to 25% and see how well it holds up and make any necessary changes as a result. The render is well executed I just think you need to be bolder with it is all.

The second issue I have is like many others, a spider isn't the first thing I think of when I see it. Yes when seen in direct comparison to an image of an actual wolf spider it's a fairly accurate representation of one, but how many times will the two be seen right next to each other? Very rarely if ever I'd say. Yeah as a designer you need to be accurate to a certain extent in order to successfully portray the subject matter but at the same time we're designers not scientists producing biologically accurate diagrams. There needs to be a middle ground, and I dont think this mark hits it.

To be truly successful with a spider logo I think you have to give people (to a certain extent) what they expect to see. They need to see the legs, it's what defines a spider to most people. Designers take liberties with anatomy and fact every day because the public expect to see things a certain way and "cheating" those things helps with readability. For example almost every wolf logo in existence will have the canine teeth of the top jaw going over the ones on the lower, when in fact the ones on the lower jaw are further forward than the top ones. But if you illustrate it that way it looks like the wolf needs to see an othrodontist.

Right now I just dont think you have enough recognisable points of reference for the everyday person to be able to identify what they are seeing, there's not enough information there that says spider, or at least not quickly enough. If I was to update it I'd add the legs but I'd try them solid black and only have highlights etc on the face that way the parts that make it a Wolf spider are given prominence but there is enough there that no one is any doubt that the character is a spider.

It's a good start but it's not there yet imo, but I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Ok I have two issues with the logo in it's current incarnation. The first is the size. Even at it's current size there are lines and certain areas of block colour which feel dangerously thin. Reduce it down small enough to be used on I dunno a keychain or TV graphics and those parts will disappear completely. For the sake of success I think it would be a good idea to reduce the logo to 25% and see how well it holds up and make any necessary changes as a result. The render is well executed I just think you need to be bolder with it is all.

The second issue I have is like many others, a spider isn't the first thing I think of when I see it. Yes when seen in direct comparison to an image of an actual wolf spider it's a fairly accurate representation of one, but how many times will the two be seen right next to each other? Very rarely if ever I'd say. Yeah as a designer you need to be accurate to a certain extent in order to successfully portray the subject matter but at the same time we're designers not scientists producing biologically accurate diagrams. There needs to be a middle ground, and I dont think this mark hits it.

To be truly successful with a spider logo I think you have to give people (to a certain extent) what they expect to see. They need to see the legs, it's what defines a spider to most people. Designers take liberties with anatomy and fact every day because the public expect to see things a certain way and "cheating" those things helps with readability. For example almost every wolf logo in existence will have the canine teeth of the top jaw going over the ones on the lower, when in fact the ones on the lower jaw are further forward than the top ones. But if you illustrate it that way it looks like the wolf needs to see an othrodontist.

Right now I just dont think you have enough recognisable points of reference for the everyday person to be able to identify what they are seeing, there's not enough information there that says spider, or at least not quickly enough. If I was to update it I'd add the legs but I'd try them solid black and only have highlights etc on the face that way the parts that make it a Wolf spider are given prominence but there is enough there that no one is any doubt that the character is a spider.

It's a good start but it's not there yet imo, but I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

9erssteve

Oh, yeah, I understand about the scaling and such, the finalized colors will be much, much bolder and distinguishable. The current colors are merely meant to fill the space for the purpose of getting it up here for people to see. Now, since the overwhelming consensus is to add legs, and I completely understand the reasoning behind it, I know how I can work it in. Now, are legs the main identifying factor for a spider illustration (besides webs, obviously, which wolf spiders do not spin)? Like, if I take what I have now and make it look as if peering at the viewer from inside its burrow with the end of the legs protruding at the entrance of the borrow in locations to give the viewer the sense that the spider could spring out and attack and any second, would that work? I know it's easier to see, but I am simply brain storming out loud.

UniJ

I'm sorry, but it looks like someone's lady-parts grew fangs.

That should make it the scariest logo ever lol

Honestly, as I scrolled down, I thought it was the back of some lady's legs in granny panties until I saw the fangs. Im not trying to be harsh, but that is honestly what I saw. Maybe I should get my mind out of the gutter.

But I agree with pretty much 9ersteve said. Just because this mighy accurately portray a wolf spider's face, doesnt mean anything. the logo has to relate to the common person and as a commoner, I dont know what a spiders face looks like up close that well. I know it has a lot of eyes but thats it. A spider logo needs to be about the body and legs, not the itty-bitty face.

Archived