UNLV's proposed stadium

BigMac12

Following in the footsteps of Farmers Field, I found out that UNLV wants a new indoor stadium that can be converted into a basketball/hockey arena.

UNLV Now

It's an odd looking dome for an American stadium. And the conversion to arena mode seems counter productive to me. But that's just me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following in the footsteps of Farmers Field, I found out that UNLV wants a new indoor stadium that can be converted into a basketball/hockey arena.

UNLV Now

It's an odd looking dome for an American stadium. And the conversion to arena mode seems counter productive to me. But that's just me.

Really counterproductive? So building one venue instead of having to build two is counterproductive? In a place with an economy like Vegas' is now, you're suggesting they should build 2 facilities instead of one?

6fQjS3M.png

These things make tons of money. There is one in Saitama, Japan that works really well and is booked for the vast majority of the year with all sorts of different events. These also don't cost all that much more than a normal stadium depending on how you make them.

From what I read about the proposal, this is a two-part project to build the dome yet renovate Thomas & Mack, which seems silly if the dome's going to house all the indoor events anyway.

VmWIn6B.png

These things make tons of money. There is one in Saitama, Japan that works really well and is booked for the vast majority of the year with all sorts of different events. These also don't cost all that much more than a normal stadium depending on how you make them.

Exactly, all this is in concept is Satiama Super Arena.

I will provide the Skyscraper City link for you to see the inside.

The NBA has said that the Thomas & Mack is not NBA sufficient, and in June 2010, the city and county told three different developers that there was no public money or tax credits available for their proposals.

Anybody, after you read this from the Review-Journal, let me know if you are still confident.

Don't they already have an new arena for basketball? Where they held the 2007 NBA All-Star Game? and Sam Boyd stadium that was just renovated in '99 for football.

This is a HUGE was of money, especially for a football team that only won 2 games last year.

Don't they already have an new arena for basketball? Where they held the 2007 NBA All-Star Game? and Sam Boyd stadium that was just renovated in '99 for football.

This is a HUGE was of money, especially for a football team that only won 2 games last year.

All Star game was held at the Thomas & Mack, which opened in 1983.

Sam Boyd/Silver Bowl has been renovated many times.

The fact that the Roski Group avoids the state/city for the "public/private partnership" and goes to UNLV proves that the private side is looking for public money and lots of it.

This site is nowhere near the three proposed sites for an arena which the city and county were faced with.

EDIT: Plus, according to Bloomberg News this project has no cost estimates and no timetable.

Yeah, they only won 2 games so let's not improve their facilities so they can get better.

By the way, didn't your Zips go winless in a brand new stadium this year? By your own logic that's looking like a pretty big was of money.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Let's focus on UNLV, not the Glendale/Phoenix sporting venues, people!

Did you report me again?

Enough! God, you guys are going to hijack my thread agian! I ask you to stop!

Please, members, let keep this thread about UNLV! Is that too much to ask for?!?!

Let's focus on UNLV, not the Glendale/Phoenix sporting venues, people!

Did you report me again?

Enough! God, you guys are going to hijack my thread agian! I ask you to stop!

Please, members, let keep this thread about UNLV! Is that too much to ask for?!?!

UNLV is looking at budget cuts (5-10%) and there will be public hearings on Saturday.

It is still Satiama Super Arena.

Las Vegas may have the union workers currently there for this project, but is hotels are not getting built and they have the highest foreclosure rate in the USA, who do this project? Really tell me, BigMac12.

UNLV is looking at budget cuts (5-10%) and there will be public hearings on Saturday.

Las Vegas may have the union workers currently there for this project, but is hotels are not getting built and they have the highest foreclosure rate in the USA, who do this project? Really tell me, BigMac12.

I don't know. I'm just reporting what this site is wanting to do.

I don't know. I'm just reporting what this site is wanting to do.

I think you should have an opinion if public money is going to be used. Those at skyscrapercity.com do that, right?

Archived