MLB Low Crown 59FIFTY Caps

14er

I was browsing New Era's store and discovered that they make a low crown version of the 59FIFTY. I'm curious if any MLB guys actually wear these rather than the traditional higher crown caps. I've noticed a few guys who's caps look to have a significantly lower profile, but I'm not certain. Does anybody have any info???

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ichiro does, I believe. The site minorleaguesmajordreams.com has been tossed around before as a good place to buy the low-crowns.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm not exactly a regular hat-wearer so can someone explain what it means to have a "low crown" cap? Does that mean that front panel (where the logo is) isn't as rigid and "high?" or does it mean the cap's "depth" (the part that envelopes your head) is shallower?

Anyone have an image showing how a low crown is different from a regular one?

I have an old 5950 that I've worn very infrequently, partly because I hate how that front panel tends to stick out/up, so I'd be interested to see what a low crown looks like.

What sized crown would those MLB batting practice hats be? I think that's the type of cap I'd like. The front panel looks a lot more curved, not as rigid-looking as an Authentic "On Field" 5950 and not as floppy-looking as those easy fit caps.

I would assume that a low crown design uses shorts panels on the top section, making the hat itself shorter and thus, it doesn't rise as high above your head. One thing I've noticed with most of the 5950s I've bought recently is the height of the crowns. If they start mass-distributing the low crown models, I'll switch to those for life.

gYH2mW9.png

I own several low pro 59fifties, some MLB, some MiLB. They darn sure look more stylish on the human head when compared to the regular 59fifty.

Are these readily available in retail stores or are they pretty much only online? If they're in retail outlets, is there something on the sticker mentioning the low profile nature?

gYH2mW9.png

NewEra.com has them too. MLMD and New Era will vary on what they have in stock at any one time, but between them, you should be able to find what you want.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Suzuki_Ichiro.jpg

v.

105638734_display_image.jpg?1287486996

Alright, I think I'm sold. I just need to go double check what my hat size is. Speaking of, what's the general rule of thumb for hat sizing if you're in-between sizes, go bigger or go smaller (i.e., is it easier to stretch out or shrink a cap? especially if it's one of those newer all-polyester MLB ones)?

The low crown caps are essentially what you used to get by removing the backing from a wool cap and shrinking it down.

So these low crown 5950 don't have that stiff "netting" panel on the inside (behind the insignia) of the cap?

Does anybody have any images of any other Major Leaguers that wear them as Ichiro does? I'm curious as to what the percentage is. Is there just a handful of players that wear them or is it something closer 1 out of every 5 players wear them?

I tried one of these a while back, and I instantly felt like I was about to attend a Jewish ceremony.

That's common. Lots of synagogues sell baseball caps in their lobbies. I tried one on at a mall and instantly felt like I was going to buy a food court pretzel, so it's really all about location.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes, they do.

But the fit is similar to the results of the old removal/shrink process on the wool caps.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Only place I could find a NYY low crown 5950 was on the official New Era site. That "minorleagues" site unfortunately doesn't have my size. Anyone know if there's another site that sells these low crowns?

Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for this in the Cardinals for awhile and haven't been able to look. Haven't looked that hard obviously...

I tried removing the backing out of a 5950 and it did make it sit lower but there was too much fabric because of the high crown and it left the hat with a weird shape. I can't really wear it anymore at all.

I have two low profile New Era caps and I would recommend against them. New Era has horrible quality control, so you have to pick through the caps to begin with. Going to Hatworld, I have often looked through 30 White Sox caps to find one where the bill isn't sewn on crooked and the logo isn't messed up. Apparently, due to the jagged angles in the Sox logo, most of the caps they (poorly) produce have the underneath material which makes the logo 3D sticking out from the white stitching in the corners. I would never again buy a NE cap without looking at it first.

I bought my first low profile cap from NE's website, and it had to be sent back twice because the versions they sent me either had the logo sewn on at a 30 degree angle or the brim crooked. I finally got a hat tha was somewhat manageable. The second low profile cap I got was from AJ Wright, and of course I had to pick through those to find the best one. The fit on both hats is strange and and the quality is very poor. Even on the "acceptable" ones, you can tell by the bend of the brim that the brim isn't centered on the front two panels. I would just do the hat surgery, which I have done before. Although the results aren't great, they are better than the high brim.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived