Chilliwack Bruins OFFICALLY moving

kiwi_canadian

It will be announced Wednesday but it is finally official, the Bruins will now call Victoria home. No word as to what the name will be but with the possible relocation of Prince George to Chilliwack, the Cougars name could be up for grads...although the junior B Cougars of the VIJHL might have something to say about that. Some names that are being tossed around on the HFboards are the Capitals (original name of the CBL team), Seals (former Golden Baseball team name), Islanders... Anyways, we will see Wednesday. Here's the story from the Victoria Times Colonist.

WHL Confirms Move

Not really, I just want to see if I can start a baseless rumor that the schmucks on Bleacher Report or Hockey Buzz will report as though I was an "unnamed source"

Welcome to DrunjFlix

People seem to think the Prince George Cougars are moving south. I hope not; I feel small western towns need their junior hockey teams. They are pretty out of the way, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So what's the deal with the Canucks AHL team? I thought they were moving to Victoria if the Jets return, but will it now be Chilliwack?

Actually, there's a decent chance it may be San Antonio. You need to own an AHL team to move an AHL team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So what's the deal with the Canucks AHL team? I thought they were moving to Victoria if the Jets return, but will it now be Chilliwack?

Actually, there's a decent chance it may be San Antonio. You need to own an AHL team to move an AHL team.

Thats the OP's question, where will the AHL Manitoba Moose end up if the Coyotes relocate to Winnipeg.

Thats the OP's question, where will the AHL Manitoba Moose end up if the Coyotes relocate to Winnipeg.

They won't be the Canucks affiliate after this season if that happens. Rumor has the Moose surfacing in Saskatoon, though.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Now it makes more sense:

http://www.chilliwac...3362/story.html

When the Chilliwack Bruins came helmet in hand to Chilliwack city hall looking for $175,000 a year to help with sagging revenues, Mayor Sharon Gaetz had no hesitation with the answer.

"We rejected this request," Gaetz said Tuesday at the afternoon portion of city council's meeting. "Under the Province's Community Charter, the city is not permitted to fund private business with taxpayers' funds. This is deemed to be an assist to business and is strictly forbidden."

Good for the city. But then I am of the opinion that nobody should be giving Mr Porter any money. 1 franchise almost moved, 1 franchise moved to Victoria. What's next?

The vote for the team name is up:

• Victoria Capitals
  • Victoria Dragons
  • Victoria Force
  • Victoria Royals
  • Victoria Tide
  • Victoria Thunder

Already, I see an issue. Thunder isn't going to work as you already have the Seattle Thunderbirds. (I realize it's the same country that gave us Rough Riders and Rou Ghriders in the same league but it shouldn't happen again.) Capitals would be great except that there is already a team in the league, Lethbridge, that has a Washington-style jersey. So they would have to go in a different direction. Which isn't to say they couldn't or it won't be a good design, people just have the identity in their head when they hear that name. The rest of the names are just :censored:ing terrible.

Edit: Perhaps the name has already been chosen (Capitals) and that is why Lethbridge needs a third jersey redesign?

Now it makes more sense:

http://www.chilliwac...3362/story.html

When the Chilliwack Bruins came helmet in hand to Chilliwack city hall looking for $175,000 a year to help with sagging revenues, Mayor Sharon Gaetz had no hesitation with the answer.

"We rejected this request," Gaetz said Tuesday at the afternoon portion of city council's meeting. "Under the Province's Community Charter, the city is not permitted to fund private business with taxpayers' funds. This is deemed to be an assist to business and is strictly forbidden."

Good for the city. But then I am of the opinion that nobody should be giving Mr Porter any money. 1 franchise almost moved, 1 franchise moved to Victoria. What's next?

Ummm....aren't the Abbotsford Heat just down the road subsidized to the hilt by public funds? Where's Abbotsford's version of the Goldwater Institute?

Today, we are all otaku.

Bet the people in Chiliwack are not pleased about getting Bruins spelled into the seats.... chilliwack.jpg

now for a team in Nanaimo

They've changed it before, they can change it again. Just a shame that they have to.

cc0ae938.jpg

I've had some time to think about those names they're proposing:

Thunder: I agree that it's too close to the Seattle team, and they're too close to Seattle geographically.

Royals: With the Oil Kings already in the league, another Royal name won't be likely (There was also another team that already named the Royals, though there have been 3 teams to call themselves the Bruins)

Captials: I could see this working, they obviously wouldn't be able to use the Washington template, as Lethbridge already is using it and has the alternate as a Captials clone. They could do Capitals as a BC tribute (with elements of the BC flag in it) or a red and white style after the Canadian colours as opposed to the red white and blue of the NHL's caps.

Tides: Doesn't seem solid enough or impossing. Junior hockey would be the place to go with a name like this, but it doesn't seem very stong to me.

Dragons: Again, it's possible, but the Kelowna Rockets already feature Ogo Pogo (commonly mistaken for a Dragon) on their uniforms.

Force: This just seems dumb, unless it's a military theme. I could see a Naval themed identity around this name (being an Island on the Pacific coast) or an CAF theme.

Personally, I'd just rename them the BEARS and be done with it. Keep the killer alt logo, make their amazing alternate jersey as the home and come up with a white counterpart. Simple solution instead of a full on remodel.

Dragons: Again, it's possible, but the Kelowna Rockets already feature Ogo Pogo (commonly mistaken for a Dragon) on their uniforms.

He's mistaken for a dragon because they just appropriated the old San Antonio Dragons logo. I personally think the whole "Oh, we're called Rockets, but use a dragon/sea monster logo" is one of the dumbest things in all of sports, professional or otherwise.

San_Antonio_Dragons.png500px-Kelowna_Rockets_logo_svg.png

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived