Brooklyn Dodgers cap logo [ IMAGE HEAVY ]

Gothamite

• 6 months later...

I thought it would be better to post to this thread than to start a new thread.

Paul Lukas's Uni Watch blog has a link today to an auction for a Brooklyn Dodgers cold-weather coat. The seller claims that it comes from the 1940s, and that it was owned by Leo Durocher. (Nowhere in the listing does it say that the coat was used on the field.)

The interesting thing is that it uses the Red Sox-style B, with no notch; it does not use the B with the two circles that we now all know was the one used by the Dodgers in the 40s:

dodgerscoat.jpgdodgerscoatlogo.jpg

For comparison to the actual 1940s logo, here is the picture of the game-worn cap which Gothamite posted on the first page:

581.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Paul Lukas's Uni Watch blog has a link today to an auction for a Brooklyn Dodgers cold-weather coat. The seller claims that it comes from the 1940s, and that it was owned by Leo Durocher. (Nowhere in the listing does it say that the coat was used on the field.)

The interesting thing is that it uses the Red Sox-style B, with no notch; it does not use the B with the two circles that we now all know was the one used by the Dodgers in the 40s:

For comparison to the actual 1940s logo, here is the picture of the game-worn cap which Gothamite posted on the first page:

581.jpg

It's strange this came up today, I was at my uncles' last night for thanksgiving dinner and he had something I had never seen before. A 1941(or 43, can't remember) dodger program that featured the same B logo we know from the cooperstown caps.

This one:

pMLB2-1726234dt.jpg

I didn't get a picture, next time I go over I'll have to take one. But this certainly makes things a little more interesting.

Anubis.png

I wasn't born until 1966, almost a decade after the Brooklyn Dodgers up and left for L.A. That being said, am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that the LOS ANGELES Dodgers are wearing uniforms that say "Brooklyn" on it? That would be like the Washington Nationals donning a Montreal Expos uniform to me. Just seems to be a slap in the face to the memory of the Brooklyn Dodgers to me. Football can get away with it more as they seldom if ever wear the city name on their uniform. When the K.C. Chiefs don their Dallas Texans uniforms, that doesn't bother me as much. Hunt moved the team from Dallas to K.C. because the NFL put a team in Dallas in 1960 at the same time as the A.F.L. started, and even though the Texans were better than the Cowboys, Lamar Hunt put the LEAGUE first, and uprooted to K.C. For that reason, it doesn't bother me as much. Even when the Titans don the Oiler uniforms, that doesn't bother me since they are the same franchise continued on (unlike the Browns/Ravens), and also because they were the Tennessee Oilers for 2 seasons. I can't understand why they didn't just come up with Titans right away back in 1997?

If the Baltimore Orioles wore "St. Louis Browns" uniforms that would bother me. If the Texas Rangers or Minnesota Twins wore "Washington Senators" uniforms, that would bother me. If the Braves play the Brewers in Milwaukee and don the Milwaukee Braves uniforms, that doesn't bother me as much. It just rubbed me the wrong way seeing the current Dodgers wearing a uniform saying "Brooklyn". I guess I'm weird.

It doesn't really bother me. It's the franchise's history, they should be allowed to embrace it occasionally. Besides, it gives people a chance to see what the old Brooklyn uniforms looked like who otherwise wouldn't have been alive at the time.

I wasn't born until 1966, almost a decade after the Brooklyn Dodgers up and left for L.A. That being said, am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that the LOS ANGELES Dodgers are wearing uniforms that say "Brooklyn" on it? That would be like the Washington Nationals donning a Montreal Expos uniform to me. Just seems to be a slap in the face to the memory of the Brooklyn Dodgers to me. Football can get away with it more as they seldom if ever wear the city name on their uniform. When the K.C. Chiefs don their Dallas Texans uniforms, that doesn't bother me as much. Hunt moved the team from Dallas to K.C. because the NFL put a team in Dallas in 1960 at the same time as the A.F.L. started, and even though the Texans were better than the Cowboys, Lamar Hunt put the LEAGUE first, and uprooted to K.C. For that reason, it doesn't bother me as much. Even when the Titans don the Oiler uniforms, that doesn't bother me since they are the same franchise continued on (unlike the Browns/Ravens), and also because they were the Tennessee Oilers for 2 seasons. I can't understand why they didn't just come up with Titans right away back in 1997?

If the Baltimore Orioles wore "St. Louis Browns" uniforms that would bother me. If the Texas Rangers or Minnesota Twins wore "Washington Senators" uniforms, that would bother me. If the Braves play the Brewers in Milwaukee and don the Milwaukee Braves uniforms, that doesn't bother me as much. It just rubbed me the wrong way seeing the current Dodgers wearing a uniform saying "Brooklyn". I guess I'm weird.

But the thing is, the LA Dodgers brought the Bklyn Dodgers history with them to Chavez Ravine. The Nationals stripped almost every part of the Expos away from them (they're only considering honoring the Expos retired numbers like Rusty Staub, Gary Carter, et al).

spacer.png

• 5 weeks later...

581.jpg

It's strange this came up today, I was at my uncles' last night for thanksgiving dinner and he had something I had never seen before. A 1941(or 43, can't remember) dodger program that featured the same B logo we know from the cooperstown caps.

This one:

pMLB2-1726234dt.jpg

I didn't get a picture, next time I go over I'll have to take one. But this certainly makes things a little more interesting.

So I promised I would get it, and here it is. Program is from 1945, and it is 100% the real deal. Picture's blurry (had to take it with my phone), but that is CLEARLY the "cooperstown" logo that we all thought was only used for the few years the caps were made in Boston, and only on the caps. Strange to see it on print from this era. Perhaps it was the print logo, and that's why it survived?

6572667305_f0703a1c96_b.jpg

whatever the reason, there is certainly a new piece to this puzzle.

Anubis.png

Archived