ESPN NFL Helmet Power Rankings

LetsGoOakland9

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. All those helmets are classic helmets, just showing that all of the writers just like the old school, classic look.

I say the Jags have a top 10 helmet

what? How do the Jags have a top 10 helmet?

Ok, after more thought. Their unique 2-tone helmet merits them some props.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

If you were to put all these helmets down on a table and told people to pick out the best, no way Steelers would be there. I understand the classic significance, but otherwise a bit ugly. Same with the Browns. However, I don't know the criteria that they selected these. Under my vague criteria I'm sure the Colts and Chargers would be on that list, but so would the Broncos.

Since NFL teams have gone through a lot of different logos and etc, I'll make my 2011 helmet Top 10 and reasons behind them.

JohnnySeoul's 2011 Top 10

1. Browns - ONLY team to wear an blank helmet makes them one of a kind. Orange isn't widely used either.

2. Steelers - Obviously a rich tradition in winning, but having their logo on only one side is very unique.

3. Raiders - Even after all of the horrible years as of late, this helmet still hangs on to its beauty.

4. Rams - They've gone through 3 cities and three different color sets, but the rams on these helmets is a masterpiece.

5. Buccaneers - I love their originals w/ Bucco Bruce, but their new logo is great and PEWTER helmets!!!

6. Bengals - Yea, Paul Brown stole the orange helmets from the Browns' equipment room, but the bengal stripe pattern is original.

7. Vikings - One of the worst uniforms in the NFL, but the viking horns are a work of art on the helmet.

8. Cardinals - Too simple? Sure, but it's simplicity somehow makes it one of the best.

9. Eagles - Giant wings across the helmet is a bold look. I love when teams use creativity versus putting a "C" or "NY" on a helmet.

10. Chiefs - Bright red helmets that you can see for miles. I don't like the token city initials, but it does look good in the arrowhead.

Honorable mentions

49ers - gold helmets are nice

Jaguars - I suppose I'll give them a shoutout because their helmets uni's have a 2-tone look and change depending on the angle you're looking at it, but the logo is cheesy and the jaguar's mouth is identical to the Panther's logo. Both came out in 1995 and it's like they copied each other.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

That list is a complete joke. They might as well call it "Teams That Have The Most History And Haven't Changed Their Helmets In A Long Time". It's obvious that the rankings have nothing to do with how the helmets look or their creative or artistic value, but rather is based on the history behind them. Therefore, it's really just a vote on team histories more so than on their helmets, right? If so, then what exactly was the point?

The members of this site could have created a more valid poll.

That list is a complete joke. They might as well call it "Teams That Have The Most History And Haven't Changed Their Helmets In A Long Time". It's obvious that the rankings have nothing to do with how the helmets look or their creative or artistic value, but rather is based on the history behind them. Therefore, it's really just a vote on team histories more so than on their helmets, right? If so, then what exactly was the point?

But then again, according to your point of view, then the Oregon Ducks would be #1 if you made a college list. Creativity and artistic value are important, but so is tradition and longevity. You have to combine all 4 values (and probably more than that).

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

I hate these kinds of rankings. There is no such thing as "the best helmet", or "the best uniform". It all depends on who's looking at them, and gives people something pointless to argue about.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

I hate these kinds of rankings. There is no such thing as "the best helmet", or "the best uniform". It all depends on who's looking at them, and gives people something pointless to argue about.

Isn't that the point of forums?

You make a good point, but this type of thing is so overdone. Every time some writer posts this kind of article when he/she is out of ideas for a real article, someone feels the need to post about it, then it gets argued about for several pages on here. The main thing that annoys me is that most of the arguments use opinions presented as facts. Everything is so subjective. I think the purpose of this forum is more for discussing actual logo news (new logos or uniforms, things like that), and people who create their own original art looking for feedback.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Isn't that the point of forums?

You make a good point, but this type of thing is so overdone. Every time some writer posts this kind of article when he/she is out of ideas for a real article, someone feels the need to post about it, then it gets argued about for several pages on here. The main thing that annoys me is that most of the arguments use opinions presented as facts. Everything is so subjective. I think the purpose of this forum is more for discussing actual logo news (new logos or uniforms, things like that), and people who create their own original art looking for feedback.

Uniform forums are about news and personal views. Of course everything is subjective...as well as it should be. Plus, it's human nature to argue. ^_^

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

I always thought the Rams as a top 5 helmet was something I could state with certainty and not just be a homer on--I guess not.

But it's not just the Rams. I love helmets that don't just plaster a logo on the side. To me the Rams and Bengals have the best helmets. The Vikings is good too. I give the Eagles props even, though wings on the head don't work quite as well as the horns or stripes of the other three.

And then I give credit to teams who still put a logo there but clearly have thought about how the logo fits on the helmet. The Chargers and the Seahawks get credit there. (Although, they unfortunately forgot to think about how that logo would look NOT on the helmet. The Rams went through a period of that too, as did the Bengals, I believe.)

And then you can start discussing who has a good look even with the standard logo on the side, look.

Meh. All those helmets are classic helmets, just showing that all of the writers just like the old school, classic look.

I say the Jags have a top 10 helmet

what? How do the Jags have a top 10 helmet?

Ok, after more thought. Their unique 2-tone helmet merits them some props.

Before the two-tone color, I still thought it was a great logo on a helmet. It was entirely black, with no helmet stripe and with a black face mask.

Granted it featured a "cheesey" animal head, but the use of gold and a teal tongue was very creative in my opinion

Go A's!

But then again, according to your point of view, then the Oregon Ducks would be #1 if you made a college list. Creativity and artistic value are important, but so is tradition and longevity. You have to combine all 4 values (and probably more than that).

I don't disagree, but tradition and longevity seemed to be the only criteria they used.

But it does give an idea of what the consensus is, and I find that interesting. My problem isn't with the method, but with the one-dimensional approach they took. While polling graphic designers who know nothing about the league's history would be an inappropriate method of arriving at such a list, polling talking heads and writers who nothing about design is equally invalid.

I always thought the Rams as a top 5 helmet was something I could state with certainty and not just be a homer on--I guess not.

But it's not just the Rams. I love helmets that don't just plaster a logo on the side. To me the Rams and Bengals have the best helmets. The Vikings is good too. I give the Eagles props even, though wings on the head don't work quite as well as the horns or stripes of the other three.

And then I give credit to teams who still put a logo there but clearly have thought about how the logo fits on the helmet. The Chargers and the Seahawks get credit there. (Although, they unfortunately forgot to think about how that logo would look NOT on the helmet. The Rams went through a period of that too, as did the Bengals, I believe.)

And then you can start discussing who has a good look even with the standard logo on the side, look.

Well, FWIW I agree, they're fantastic, plus they have the elan that goes with being the first team to add a logo. They'd be perfect with a thin white border on the horns to really make them pop.

As for the list...the Browns in the top 10? Really?

I'll throw in for the Saints by arguing that few if any teams have a helmet logo that better represents their city as opposed to their mascot.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Well, FWIW I agree, they're fantastic, plus the have the elan that goes with being the first team to add a logo. They'd be perfect with a thin white border on the horns to really make them pop.

As for the list...the Browns in the top 10? Really?

I'll throw in for the Saints by arguing that few if any teams have a helmet logo that better represents their city as opposed to their mascot.

Because they are one of a kind. No other team wears a logo-less helmet. Ugly to some, iconic to others.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Archived